Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple VP templates valid at the same time

franciscopol
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi everyone

We've been using VP for many years, every year we adapt the template based on business needs and new functionality. This year we have created 2 templates, basically we assig people on one template or another based on a field in compinfo, bonus type, Lets say A or B, that will define Template A or B.

Template A has some imported business goals.

Template B has goals coming from Performance in the individual section.

All good.

The issue we are facing is when we have someone that initially was launched in Template A, then middle of the year we change that person the field in comp information from A to B.

When Jobs are running updating the templates, the person is still appearing in Template A (greyed wihtout information) and is not appearing in template B. We raised a ticket but after a couple of months the answer is:

"

I spoke again with my team on the issue and confirm the system is working as expected and you are not able to use two templates.

You could update all worksheets and select 'Add newly eligible employees to worksheet' but this would not carry over any values from the first bonus plan, the employees would be marked in grey on the template too.

When you are assigning bonus goals to the employee and the system attempts to use the two templates, it is deleting the goals but not reassigning to the new template causing the employee to remain in the first template but with goals removed.

The system is resetting the values when it attempts to forward to the next worksheet which it cannot so remains in the first template.

"

@xavierlegarrec 

Are we really having such a complex configuration by using 2 VP Templates at the same time? (we don't want the employee to be on both, just on the one that belongs), maybe if someone is moved to another organization then that person might have 2 bonus belonging to different VP Templates, but not overlapping. Can't system fully remove someone from a VP Plan when eligibility rules are not applying anymore and create it on a different one?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

xavierlegarrec
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

@franciscopol 

There is no communication between templates.

I have never had this kind of 2 templates solution presented to me before.

Usually what we see is a solution where everything is built into one template and the bonus plans weighting is used to adjust the calculation.

In other words, everybody (whether they have Comp A or Comp B in Comp Info) gets pulled into the VP employee history and then into the worksheet. Everybody is going to have individual goals shown but only for Comp B employees will they matter in the calculation because only for them is the Individual Section weight at a 100%. Comp A bonus plan section weight would show 0 for individual section weight. 

Hope this helps.

Xavier

franciscopol
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi @xavierlegarrec and thanks for the reply.

We normally have everything on one template, but having forms, business goals, and trying to have the simplest worksheet for employees kind of forced us to have 2 templates. Since we can't hide sections dynamically, or when we start rolling up fields from individual section and business goals section, we end up on situations where employees see lots of fields, on some cases is interesting because they might have 2 or more bonus plans bot on other situations half of the fields are empty on Plan A because they belong to plan B.

We managed to solve the issue by reading everything on Eligibility Rule for Employee History Records, instead of having data A for bonus template A and data B for bonus template B in each template, we imported everything on both templates having all possible records there.

Then the manager form eligibility rule excludes what is not needed and also, each template has a unique bonus plan selecting the data from comp info that we need.

That did the trick. Still I don't understand why it didn't work as we had it originally, if I have an employee on bonus A half year and on bonus B half year, and each set of records are visible in employee history records on the correspondent template, Why aren't those updated when I import again changes on employees and employees aren't removed dynamically from worksheets and allow us to have as many templates active as needed. Yes maintenance of several templates is tedious, but from the user point of view it looks cleaner.

BTW We even thought about having several templates one for each PM form (because we can't have the pm forn name in the VP worksheet) so in each template we put the bonus plan with the PM form name, it is a lot of duplicating config, but again, the only way to solve some of the limitations.

Anyway, I thought it would be good to share the solution just in case someone else might have a similar approach and maybe you can also push to get the VP engine improved a little 😉

Thanks a lot Xavier

Cheers,

Francisco