Human Capital Management Blogs by SAP
Get insider info on SAP SuccessFactors HCM suite for core HR and payroll, time and attendance, talent management, employee experience management, and more in this SAP blog.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
former_member19343
Participant
Thanks to Onboarding Product Manager satyabrata_chayani for his collaboration on this post.

Introduction

All employers are looking for quick and seamless ways to onboard new hires. Completing required paperwork in advance, familiarising themselves with corporate policies and rules, getting to know relevant stakeholders is just a small part of what may help companies with such objectives.

You can find a full description about new features for latest Home Page on SAP Help Portal:

https://help.sap.com/viewer/59f821da545a4bdb94f1eb8fa22e4b36/LATEST/en-US/ae7316f9b4de45538129696d27...

On the Legacy Home Page new hires had standard Onboarding tiles, individual ones for each piece of information that manager shares with them.

Picture 1. Standard Onboarding tiles for new hires on legacy Home Page

With the Latest Home Page we have a new standardised way of auto grouping such tiles and organising them together.

Now instead of having multiple tiles, new hires will see a single card on the Home Page which on click will navigate to a page that contains all relevant information on new hire activities.

Picture 2.Onboarding New Hire activities page that appears on click of custom engagement card for new hires on latest Home Page

In this blog you will know what steps need to be done for creating a custom card and making it available for new hires on the Latest Home Page.

We recommend customers to enable a custom card along with activating the Latest Home Page and do it prior 2205 release. This conscious switch will guarantee a smooth process and allow new hires to access the new hire activities (welcome message from Manager, recommended links, etc) on a Home Page and continue having a good experience.

Prerequisites

Configuration Steps to enable Onboarding Custom Card for New Hires

1. Succession Data Model updates

• First, you need to adjust your Succession Data Model and enable custom field “IsOnboardingUser”.

Picture 3. Creating custom field as a required parameter

• Make sure that permissions to see this flag are enabled. Go to  Manage Business Configuration > custom field X->Element Permissions. Try adding Permission "Read" and Role Type = *

1. Custom card creation

• Next step is to create a custom card in Manage Home Page tool in Admin Center.

• Under section “Cards” you need to select “Organizational Updates” and then click “Add card” button. It will allow you to create a new custom card.

Picture 4. Creating custom card on Home Page

• You need to fulfil general section, add a name for a card and thumbnail, then proceed to section “3. Navigation”.

• In the dropdown “Target” select Onboarding. URL will be populated automatically.

Picture 5. Custom card set up

1. Card assignment

• Next step is “4. Assignments”, where you need to select right target audience for this card.

• By default, system suggests an option “All Employees”. To change it, you need to click the 3 dots and select “Add group” for creating a group for new hires.

• Flag IsOnboardingUser is a key for correct assignment to new hires into a new group:

• IsOnboardingUser=YES means new hire is still in Onboarding process

• IsOnboardingUser=NO means new hire already completed Onboarding process.

• As Onboarding information from Manager is relevant for new hire before and after Day 1, we need to select both values: IsOnboardingUser= YES and NO.

Other values for this flag are not applicable for new hires.

Picture 6. New hires group creation for custom card

• The newly created group should be selected from the dropdown list into “Target Group” field. Only after that the custom card will be assigned to new hires, otherwise it will be visible to all employees.

Picture 7. Assigning New hires group as a target

With these steps you can enable the custom card on the Latest Home Page. This will bring all relevant information for new hires for their successful Onboarding.

24 Comments
0 Kudos
Hello gulnaz.rakhimova

first of all many thanks for this great article.

There is one thing I don't really understand.
In step 3 we need to select both values: isOnboardingUser= YES and NO.
If this is a new user who is currently in onboarding process then he/she will get isOnboardingUser= YES,
and this is a temporary status and that is clear. But when a user will finish the onboarding process, he/she will get isOnboardingUser=NO.
Does this "No" then always stay in the record?
Because if this "No" is stuck to the user forever, I understand this so, that even after half a year or after two years this user will still get the onboarding tile displayed on his/her Latest home Page.

But the goal of the article is that only new employees (let's say only in the first three months) should have the onboarding tile displayed on the Latest Home Page
and not forever, right?

Can you please explain this to me? I don't really understand it.
Thanks a lot 🙂

Best regards
Rezo
former_member19343
Participant

Hello Rezo,

Thanks for your feedback.

Your assumption is correct.

Once new hire finishes Onboarding process, then isOnboardingUser=NO and this flag keeps this value.

So, custom card that has value "YES" and "NO" will be shown for new hire prior and after joining the organisation.

Right now Custom cards are nor dynamic and do not depend on New hire Startdate. That's why when you configure this custom card you may indicate some static duration in card settings.

Product team is investigating how to improve this and make an option to have dynamic custom card.

Best regards,

Gulnaz

0 Kudos
ok now it makes sense, thank you 🙂
imlty00
Explorer
0 Kudos
Hi, gulnaz.rakhimova
"As Onboarding information from Manager is relevant for new hire before and after Day 1, we need to select both values: isOnboardingUser= YES and NO."

Just wanted to understand WHO, HOW, and WHEN to change this value...
former_member19343
Participant
0 Kudos
Hi tomlo,

Once we initiate Onboarding, system will set up flag isOnboardingUser=YES.

Once Onboarding is finished and we complete Pending Hire in EC, new hire becomes Hired, that means flag isOnboardingUser becomes "NO".

For employees who didn't go through Onboarding (for already existing employees in a system) this flag after enabling in Succession Data Model is empty or N/A.

That's why we can exclude them if add a rule "isOnboardingUser=YES and NO".
0 Kudos
Hi gulnaz.rakhimova,

I have a question about this.

I understand the whole process absolutely as you have just described.

But we have now encountered the following problem: Some people who have been with the company for a long time now also got IsOnboardingUser=NO (so really few people, not all).

Therefore I had doubts if I can really rely on the setup.

Could it be that in dataset IsOboardingUser is additionally changed or influenced by another workflow or process? Because otherwise I can't explain why SOME old employees (without having gone through the onboarding process) now suddenly have IsOnboardingUser=NO in the Succession Data Model instead of having no label.

Kind Regards

Rezo Shubladze
former_member19343
Participant

Hi rezo_123

This seems very strange, but it may happen if earlier this custom field was used for another purposes and value "NO" was set up for that few people. This can be checked only by Eng and Ops team (historical record in database).

As you now enabling this custom field again, system takes the value from a database and shows previous value for customfield# .

To resolve this issue, you can override the value via Extended Employee Import, for example (if amount of affected employees is not high and you can export their data and then import updated version).

If amount of employees is high and it is not possible to do by yourselves, then I think you can contact support team and explain the case. Engineering team can run certain script to re-write the value. Details will be discussed and agreed in the ticket.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Gulnaz Rakhimova

Deveshan
Participant
0 Kudos
Hi everyone,

I am following this guide but on step 3: Add Assignment, I do not see IsOnboardinguser in the people pool drop down selection.

Please assist
former_member19343
Participant
0 Kudos
Hi Deveshan,

Did you try to set up a custom field in Succession Data Model?
former_member120697
Discoverer
0 Kudos
Hi gulnaz.rakhimova,

I have a question about picture3.

I have configure as your picture3 shows. But when I add a custon card, I still can't choose Onboarding in Target picklist. Why that happen and what should I do?

Best regards,

Kewen Su
former_member66031
Discoverer
0 Kudos
This is a great article.  Many thanks.

Is this ONB custom card solution feasible for customers who are not using EC?
former_member19343
Participant
0 Kudos
Hi Kewen Su,

Please make sure that upgrade to the latest Home Page is done fully. As a reference please see link to a guide https://help.sap.com/viewer/59f821da545a4bdb94f1eb8fa22e4b36/2111/en-US/a04c989501f24a7faca91bb1a38f...

If you enabled New hire content via upgrade, then "Onboarding" as a Target should be visible in a drop-down list.

Regards,
former_member19343
Participant
0 Kudos
Hello Slew Wan Heng,

Yes, for non-EC customers it is also available.

Regards,

Gulnaz
former_member120697
Discoverer
0 Kudos
Hi Gulnaz

I've finished the upgrade but still can't get the Onboarding flag. Do you know what the problem is?

Best regards,

Kewen
former_member19343
Participant
0 Kudos
Hi Kewen,

if you finished an upgrade and also updated succession DM. then it is wonderful. If all is done and you cannot see custom field in Pick category (when setting up a group), then check the following:

On the Manage Business Configuration > custom field X->Element Permissions. Try adding Permission 'Read" and Role Type *

It should allow you to see field in a list and then continue set up.

Regards.
former_member120697
Discoverer
0 Kudos
Hi Gulnaz

Thanks for your help.

As you said,now I can "IsOnboardingUser" is shown in the target group>people pool.But I can't see "Onboarding" flag in target picklist under Navigation as your picture5 shows.

What should I do?

Regards,

Kewen
former_member19343
Participant
0 Kudos
Actually, this should be visible if you are using ONB 1.0. If all settings are in place, then you can report a ticket.
shrtripathi
Participant
0 Kudos
Hi gulnaz.rakhimova

How can we implement this solution for Non Pre Day 1 Enabled/ Non EC instance?  I believe in this case the isOnboardingUser flag will not update automatically.

Please advise.

Thanks,
former_member19343
Participant
0 Kudos
Hi Kewen,

What I knew from another case that this happened when HP4 was not enabled. Could you please check that you provided access to HP4 after upgrade. Please make sure that you are using the latest HP.
former_member19343
Participant
0 Kudos
Hi shreya2 ,

For non-EC customers custom card can be configured based on a StartDate. With 2205 we will have this flexibility and can configure card visibility using StartDate+X Days.

Regards,

Gulnaz
PrinceThomas
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi gulnaz.rakhimova

I now setup the Isonbaording user and custom tile. We use SF platform and data feed through from core HR system into SF platform through a nightlyfeed and have synchronization with other modules like recruiting and onboarding 1.0. We don't use pre day-1 config.

1.)I want to understand if Onbaording1.0 will update the isOnboardingUser data field to yes / no during the nightly synchronization or do we need to do some other configuration for this to work.

2.) isOnboardingUser =YES if using preday-1 config and per is not hired, correct?

3.) IsonboardingUser=NO if not using preday-1 config and on the day person is hired the field will show NO. Correct?

4.) If the New hire completes all activities will the tile get disabled or removed from thier home page view? If so when will that get removed? If not is there a work around?

Looking forward to your expert guidance.

Regards,

Prince

Regards,

Prince Thomas

cristina_su
Discoverer
0 Kudos
Hi Gulnaz,

Thanks for the very usefull article, my problem here is that our custom fields have reached the maximum (15 fields), is there a workaround to configure the custom Onboarding 1.0 Cards?

Thanks in advance,

Cristina
PrinceThomas
Participant
0 Kudos
Hello Cristina,

With 1H 2022 release this is fixed. You will no longer require any custom field and Onboarding 1.0 will have no more dependency on this custom field. The Custom Onboarding tile will be having additional fields to activate the tile for new hire basis the new hire start date. It will look as Start date +/- days.  You can see the same in your preview instance now. The same will be applied in production environment with their May 20 release.

Regards,

Prince Thomas
PrinceThomas
Participant
0 Kudos
Hello gulnaz.rakhimova

I want to confirm a few things about onboarding custom tile.

We are using Isonbaording user Yes/No provisioning, after 1H release and start date logic applied, I believe we can continue to use isonbaording user logic?

As customer we are expetced to mannually change the tile to the start date logic?

How long will the IsonboardingUser logic remain? I am guessing this will be deprecated or deleted in future?

Regards,

Prince Thomas