Human Capital Management Blogs by Members
Gain valuable knowledge and tips on SAP SuccessFactors HCM suite and human capital management market from member blog posts. Share your insights with a post of your own.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
shrutithakkar
Active Participant

Introduction

In today's rapidly evolving business landscape, organizations are increasingly recognizing the value of rehiring former employees. Rehiring, or bringing back previous talent into the fold, has emerged as a strategic approach to enhance workforce flexibility, boost productivity, and tap into a known pool of skills and experience. To facilitate this process, SAP SuccessFactors Onboarding offers a comprehensive solution that streamlines the rehire journey, enabling organizations to seamlessly transition employees from their exit to re-entry.

Onboarding supports the ability to check for Rehires during the Onboarding initiation process.

The details like employment records, personal information, and so on, for the employee to be rehired, are taken from Employee Central while initiating onboarding from SAP SuccessFactors Recruiting and Applicant Tracking System.

Steps to enable and use the rehire functionality in SAP SuccessFactors Onboarding 2.0

Step 1 - Configuring Rehire Check

The different combinations through which rehires can be identified, we would need to set up parameters.

Manage Data → Create New → Recruit/Rehire Configuration or Hire/Rehire ConfigurationConfiguration→ Enter a Code and a Title for the check, make active →Update the details and save.

Set the following Rehire conditions to Yes or No depending on our requirements:

1. Enable search for employees using first name and last name

2. Enable search for employees using first name and date of birth

3. Enable search for employees using last name and date of birth

4. Enable search for employees using first name, last name, and date of birth

5. Enable search for employees using national ID

6. Default Personal Information during rehire (Applicable only for rehiring with old employment details)

7. Default Job Information during rehire (Applicable only for rehiring with old employment details)

8. Default Compensation Information during rehire (Applicable only for rehiring with old employment details)

Recruit/Rehire Configuration

These combinations will help the system to find a match and flag the new onboarded candidate as a possible rehire.

Step 2 - Add Permissions for the Hiring Manager and for the HR Administrator to access the rehire options

Navigate to Manage Permissions Roles → Search and Click on the role to which we wish to add permissions → Permissions → Manage Recruits/Hires → Select the permissions → Save.

Permissions

Step 3 - Create a Rehire Coordinator Responsible Group

We can create a responsible group called the rehire coordinator and assign all tasks related to the rehiring process to the group of users. This allows us to maintain separate groups for the new hire and rehire processes. Admins assigned to the Rehire Coordinator group are those with permission to complete rehiring and access related information. They review rehire data and decide whether to rehire with old employment, new employment, or as a new hire.

Please note different country-specific groups can be created to analyze rehires as per country HRs.

Navigate to Manage Onboarding Dynamic Groups →Create New group → Give group Name - SAP_ONB2_RehireCoordinator → Add Employees whom we want to perform rehire verification → Save.

Navigate to Onboarding General Settings → Under Responsible Groups, select + New Group→Enter a group ID and Group Name →Add participants to the responsible group (Role/Users/Dynamic Group) → Submit.

Manage Onboarding Dynamic Groups

Responsible Group

Step - 4: Business Rule to Assign Responsible Group for Rehire Check

To fetch and assign a responsible user group to complete the rehire verification, we can configure the Assigning Responsible Group for Rehire Check rule. This rule can be configured for both rehire with new and rehire on old employment.

Navigate to Configure Business Rules → Create new rule → Go to Onboarding, select Assign Responsible Group for Onboarding Rehire Check→Update the rule name, ID, and start date and click continue → Update If and then conditions and save the rule.

Assign Responsible Group for Onboarding Rehire Check

Once the rule is created, assign this rule to get trigger.

Navigate to Manage Data → Search Onboarding Configuration → Select the Default Object → Search for - Rule for Rehire Coordinator Group Configuration and assign the rule in the field → Save.

Assign Business Rule

Step 5 - Enable Rehire with Old Employment Switch

Navigate to Onboarding General Settings → Turn on the switch under Rehire with Old Employment.

Onboarding General Settings

Rehire Process Overview

The Rehire can be identified when the data comes from Recruiting to Onboarding, or after the paperwork is done by the rehire coordinator and the New Hire.

After an employee is in onboarding, the system checks the list of employees who are inactive and has terminated record (these employees can be found under Rehire Inactive Employee) with the new onboarded candidate.

The first rehire check is run before creating any person, employment, or user records for a new hire. We can perform this check when onboarding is initiated for a candidate from SAP SuccessFactors Recruiting for rehiring with new or old employment.

Please note - Rehire is supported only for candidates with the status as 'Terminated'.

1. Onboarding is Initiated for a candidate.

2. The system performs a "Rehire Check"

3. On the homepage, a tile named "Data Review will be available displaying the list of possible rehires with the tile name 'Pre Onboarding Rehire Verification' for the first rehire check and the tile name 'Onboarding Rehire Verification' for the second rehire check.

4. Second Rehire Verification would work only if the candidate was not identified at First Onboarding Rehire Verification.

5. We have 4 different options to perform when a rehire is identified:

• Rehire with Old Employment - Candidate is rehired on the same entity with rehire event reason without any change in User ID.

• Rehire with New Employment - Candidate is rehired on a different entity with New Hire event reason with changes in ID. Please refer to this document for more details.

• Proceed as New Hire - Considers candidate is not a rehire and proceeds with normal Onboarding workflow

• Cancel Onboarding - Cancel the onboarding for the candidate. If Hiring Eligibility is ‘Not Eligible for Rehire’, the HRA can ‘Cancel Onboarding’

First & Second Rehire Check

This first rehire check is executed as soon as Onboarding is initiated. A Data Review tile is available on the latest homepage to perform the first rehire check.

Data Review Tile on Latest Homepage

Rehire Check

The second rehire check is executed if a potential match doesn’t get identified in the first rehire check. This check is performed after the Personal Data Collection step is completed.

If Rehire with Old or New is selected, the Onboarding process kicks off and the Onboarding candidate is notified to complete the onboarding tasks and complete the procedure. Candidates receive the ‘Rehire Welcome Email’ and log in with their old username. They can reset the password and complete the process.

After all Onboarding tasks are completed, the candidate is available under Manage Pending Hires/Recruits, where HR can complete the process and update the EC profile.

On the Start Date, the Rehire gets converted into an active Employee (Internal User), and the
Rehire's Profile is updated.

The rehiring process is completed and the rehired employee can access the system and the new updated details on the employee profile.

Conclusion

SAP SuccessFactors Onboarding 2.0 simplifies rehiring former employees. It checks for potential rehires based on names, birthdates, and more. This helps HR and managers identify candidates for rehire easily. The system ensures a smooth process from initiation to verification, saving time and tapping into valuable skills.

Hope this document helps!

Thank you for reading the blog, I appreciate your time!

If you have any questions or suggestions, please add a comment below. I hope you found this blog post informative and helpful. Please feel free to also share your experiences, it would be helpful to learn and explore more!

Happy learning 🙂 Thanks!

22 Comments
Thank you so much for such a good explanation to understand easily how the rehire process works in SF Onboarding

Much appreciated your efforts 🙂

EfratAssaraf
Explorer
Hi,

Thank you for the great explanation!

We configured the rehire with old employment via ONB.
When following the rehire process we see that the future rehire record is added to the EC record (as a future change / record) after the rehire check step. Meaning, the terminated former employee has rehire record before we finish the whole ONB process - MPH and workflow approvals.

Do we have any control over this, so the future rehire record will be shown only after approval?

Thank you,

Efrat
0 Kudos
@ Efrat,

We do have similar issue, can you please let me know if this expected behavior?
EfratAssaraf
Explorer
0 Kudos
As far as SAP answer, it's an expected behavior.

We opened an enhancement for it (I can't referee you to it for voting), but if you have any workaround, we would love to hear it.

Thank you,

Efrat
shrutithakkar
Active Participant
0 Kudos
Thank you so much Satish for your feedback 🙂
shrutithakkar
Active Participant
0 Kudos
Hi Efrat,

Apologies in delay!

If i understand correctly your issue, you mean to say before you complete the rehire process the data is already updated in EC?

Does it not go though Manage Pending Hires?

Untill and unless it does not go through Manage Pending Hires, data should not be updated in EC.

Thanks

Shruti
EfratAssaraf
Explorer
0 Kudos
Hi,

It does go to Manage Pending hire and wait there to complete the process. But if you will access at that time to the EC record of this rehire, you will see a future Rehire record added.

We found that very confusing because the rehire process was not completed & approved so we didn't want the users to see the rehire in EC.

Thank you,

Efrat

x-asanta
Discoverer
0 Kudos
Hi,

I have a question regarding the "Eligible for Rehire" flag, in the Rehire verification step.

If the employee has the "Ok to rehire "marked as "no" in the termination, is normal that in the Rehire verification the Recruiting eligibility, to be marked as "Eligible for Rehire"? It shouldn't say that it is not eligible to Rehire?

Could you please give me more details how this flag works?

Thank you,

Anita

Newcomer
0 Kudos
If I only want to use the "2nd rehire verification step" after the newhire fills out their personal data in onboarding.  How can I stop the 1st rehire verification step that is created when RCM moved to ONB 2.0 (Pre-Onboarding Rehire Verification).  Where can I stop the 1st rehire verification?
jplastina
Explorer
0 Kudos
Many thanks Shruti for sharing this!

I wanted to know if there is a rehire verification prior to onboarding.

shrutithakkar
Active Participant
0 Kudos
Hi Jonathan,

No, Rehire veririfcation takes place after onboarding has been initated in ONB2.0

As only then it can compare the inactive records from EC and identify the possible rehire.

Thanks

Shruti
shrutithakkar
Active Participant
0 Kudos
Hi Angela,

The rehire steps re mandatory. We cannot say to skip first rehire and and directly got to second.

if rehire is not identified in first stage only then system does a recheck and bring the rehires in second step.

The parameters that you would selecd under Hire/Rehire configuration will be used to identify the potential rehirs.

Please check and let me know if you need any help!

Thanks

Shruti
shrutithakkar
Active Participant
0 Kudos
Hi Anita,

This flag is important because if its No, you cannot rehire the particular employee.

You can review this KBA for more information - https://userapps.support.sap.com/sap/support/knowledge/en/2221239

Thanks

Shruti
shrutithakkar
Active Participant
0 Kudos
Hi Efrat,

Does this update in EC reflects before completing manage pending hire stage or after this stage?

Thanks

Shruti
EfratAssaraf
Explorer
0 Kudos
Hi,

It's reflecting before Manage Pensding Hire step. Than is the problem.

We need this rehire to work as it is today - to reflect only after workflow update.

Thank you,

Efrat
shrutithakkar
Active Participant
0 Kudos
Hi Efrat,

Are you checking rehires? or crossboaridng?

Because rehire would be an inactive employee so untill and unless you do not complete MPH it should relfect in EC.

Can you check your config once.

Thanks

Shruti
EfratAssaraf
Explorer
0 Kudos
Hi,

It's Rehire with old employment.

Please see attached screenshots from when we tried to configure it in our instance back in May.

Note that the screenshot was taken in 5/24 and the hire date for thie onboardee is 5/31.

I also opened a ticket to SAP Support: Case ID: 422532 / 2023 - New EC record is created before finishing the rehire process and workflow approval. The answer is that it's "This is expected system behaviour for Rehire on Old Employment".

I would love to know if you know anything diffrent regarding this configuration, or if we can solve this.

Thank you,

Efrat
sophiabo
Discoverer
0 Kudos
Hello Shruti,

your post gives all relevant information at one glance, thanks for that.

As we are also using Employee Central we have an active Hire/Rehire Configuration, but still no rehire check comes after the "Initiate Onboarding"-step. I am clueless where to start. Within EC everything works fine...

We do not have "Data Review"-step in our Onboarding before the data collection, might this be a relevant step or is there no dependence?

Thank you in advance.
Brittany93
Discoverer
0 Kudos
Hello,

We are also expericing the same issue as Efrat Assaraf - Segelman mentioned above. Will SAP be fixing this?

Thank you,

Brittany
EfratAssaraf
Explorer
0 Kudos
Hi Brittany,

Till we have a solution from SAP, please vote to my customer Influence in this link:

https://influence.sap.com/sap/ino/#/idea/302743/?section=sectionVotes

Thank you,

Efrat
StephanieBM01
Participant
0 Kudos
Hello Shruti,

thanks for the detail blog. This is very visual and descriptive.

When you say "If Rehire with Old or New is selected, the Onboarding process kicks off and the Onboarding candidate is notified to complete the onboarding tasks and complete the procedure.", does this always apply?

For my previous clients, we did have the additional data collection and compliance form step in our process variant and the Rehire on old employment was indeed working as you describe in this blog.

For my current client, the last process variant task of our process is the Data Collection step and when we select Rehire on Old Employment, we enter the Rehire Data Review and on sudmit, what we notice is that the onboarding is cancelled, the onboardee rehire record is updated in EC direcly. There is no "Manage Pending Hire" step (as like I said, it is already in EC after submitting the rehire review).

It seems that this is happening to other by reading the comments and I was wondering if this is because of how steps configured in the process variant .

Cheers,
Stéphanie
shrutithakkar
Active Participant
0 Kudos
Hi Stephanie,

Thank you for the message.

The flow of what should be followed for tasks actually depends on process variants.

You can definie stages and level as per process variants and use business rule to trigger the same for different conditions.

If you check you current client config, there should be a different process variant and business rule to trigger the same. The business rule is being used by process and your current rehire would get set to true to business rule and hence they pickup the process vrainat and stages are created according to that.

Please check and let me know if you have any questions 🙂

Happy to learn and discuss.x

Thanks

Shruti
Labels in this area