Human Capital Management Blogs by Members
Gain valuable knowledge and tips on SAP SuccessFactors HCM suite and human capital management market from member blog posts. Share your insights with a post of your own.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Himsidd
Explorer
0 Kudos

In a recent project, I faced a challenging task that tested my skills and patience as a new SAP SuccessFactors Compensation analyst. With 81,701 employees in the system, only 14,538 met the eligibility criteria—status as Active, Employment Type as Permanent, and Hire Date before February 1, 2024. However, our template only displayed 13,045 eligible employees, leaving 1,493 unaccounted for. Here’s a detailed account of how I went about solving this puzzle.

The Investigation Begins
1. First Clues: The Missing 1,493

To pinpoint why these 1,493 employees were missing, I began by systematically breaking down the problem:

1045 Employees without a Second Manager: The first red flag was that a significant portion of the missing employees didn’t have a second manager (Planner) assigned. This could be a key factor in their absence from the template.

45 Inactive Employees: Further investigation revealed that 45 employees were incorrectly marked as inactive due to an error made by a senior colleague. This was a manageable issue.

57 Employees with Past Assignments: Another 57 employees had past assignments that were completed after June 10. Their past assignments were marked as inactive, which led the system to treat them as inactive employees erroneously.

2. The Remaining Mystery

After addressing these initial issues, I was still left with 366 employees unaccounted for. This required a more in-depth analysis:

VLOOKUP Investigation: I employed Excel’s VLOOKUP function to merge and cross-reference various fields, but this approach didn’t yield the missing link.
3. The Breakthrough

Just when I was starting to feel stuck, I decided to narrow down the search by examining the manager assignments of the missing employees. It turned out that all 366 missing employees had the same manager. Intrigued, I used VLOOKUP to trace this manager’s details and discovered that this manager's PS ID was missing from the system because the manager was inactive.

Lessons Learned and Tips for New Analysts
As a newcomer to SAP SuccessFactors, here are some valuable insights and tips I’ve gathered from this experience:

Thorough Initial Analysis: Always start with a comprehensive breakdown of the issue. Identify common patterns or missing links early on.

Utilize All Available Tools: Leverage all available tools and functions, such as VLOOKUP in Excel, to cross-reference and validate data.

Check Manager Assignments: Sometimes, issues might stem from problems with managerial assignments. Ensure that all managers are active and correctly assigned to their teams.

Systematic Approach: Adopt a systematic approach to problem-solving. Document your findings and the steps you take, which can help in troubleshooting and refining your process.

Ask for Help: Don’t hesitate to seek guidance from more experienced colleagues when faced with challenging problems.

By following these steps, I was able to resolve the issue and ensure that all eligible employees were correctly displayed in the template. As a trainee analyst, this experience not only improved my problem-solving skills but also deepened my understanding of SAP SuccessFactors Compensation.

Feel free to share your own experiences or tips for tackling similar challenges in the comments below!

Labels in this area