cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is Optimistic Latch-Free Index Traversal in SAP HANA Architecture?

former_member282798
Discoverer
0 Kudos

I heard a buzzword "Optimistic Latch-Free Index Traversal" in one blog post on Introduction to SAP HANA by Dr. Vishal Sikka. I googled about it in context of SAP HANA Architecture but didn't find anything concrete. Could someone please explain this whole concept thoroughly, in context of SAP HANA?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

This refers to a core part of the former PTime* in-memory rowstore DBMS, which served as a technology foundation for some parts of SAP HANA, e.g. some internal row store structures (CSB+ tree index types).

These index type memory structures are used internally by SAP HANA to organize and process data in memory with many parallel cores.

A little bit of googling would have led you to the paper that introduced the CSB+ trees:

Cache-Conscious Concurrency Control of Main-Memory Indexes on Shared-Memory Multiprocessor Systems

Given that the rowstore in SAP HANA becomes less and less important this probably has more value if you want to build your own in-memory row-store database.
To me, knowing this paper made zero difference to my abilities to use SAP HANA.

former_member282798
Discoverer

Thanks lars.breddemann for this swift response. It's always been a relief looking at your blogs/answers... 🙂

Answers (0)