cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Preferred approach to extract from ECC to AWS S3

former_member185181
Active Contributor

Dear Experts,

I have been thinking through this and wanted to know experts opinion on extracting master and transaction data from ECC or S/4 on regular basis to AWS S3. We have couple of options like below and would appreciate any feedback or suggestions.

• Use Data Services with ODP/Tables/BAPIs and write to S3 bucket
  • use OData and have middleware to write to S3
  • Using IDOCs to push records via any middleware to S3
  • Export data to file via ABAP and write to S3 using any compatible tool

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

BJarkowski
Active Contributor

I think you've captured the extraction method correctly. The additional one that comes to my mind is 3rd party software that can capture data from the database logs. You can google Attunity or Simplement solutions.

But choosing the extraction tool is just one part of the story and in my opinion should be the last one to consider. In my opinion much more important topics are the extraction schedule and delta handling. Depending on your requirements you'll be able to eliminate some extraction tools. For example OData is not the best solution to extract very large tables.

former_member187605
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

There are several methods to extract data from ECC, each with its own features, pros and cons. See

https://blogs.sap.com/2017/03/13/extracting-data-from-sap-ecc/ for a detailed explanation,

Note that IDOCs are only supported in DS real-time jobs.

former_member185181
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks, I guess ODP extraction supports delta via BODS. Does anyone recommend pushing data via IDOCs to S3? I started to think about what happens if it fails and what if need to pull data elements not covered by standard IDOCs.