cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to import multi-level Bill of Material into SAP Business Bydesign from CSV file?

0 Kudos

Hi, currently we are evaluating SAP Business ByDesign.

We are a robot integrator and have a lot of Bill of Material which has multiple levels.

Currently, we are using Solidworks PDM to manage design data and can export BOM in CSV format.

What we want to do is to import this CSV BOM to SAP so that SAP can recognize and generate BOM automatically.

Until now we already did research on several ERP product, SAP is great on many aspects, but it seems that it can't meet our key requirements. The SAP agent we've been talking about only replyed that this feature can be developed which is far from satisfactory. I think this is quite basic and most of the ERP alternatives have.

What I found is only the data migration in the implementation activity, looks not a normal feature but only for legacy data.

So if it is not supported by SAP, is there a reason?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Anantpatel
Active Contributor

speedwings61,

You can Import a multi-level Bill of Material into SAP Business Bydesign from CSV file. Follow below steps:

Go to Business Configuration WoC --> select Implementation Project --> click Activities --> find Migration of Bills of Material --> open --> click You Can Also --> select Download CSV-Migration Template.

Let me know if it works and mark the question as answered if your requirement is met or comment back for any further queries.

Thanks & Regards,

Anant Patel

SME, SAP Business ByDesign

0 Kudos

Hi Anant,

Thank you for your reply! I also found this feature but as far as I know, it can only import single level BoM and the help center also said so.

And in my opinion, since we constantly working on PDM to update the BOM, this should be a function can access from normal work center by product engineering role, not the administrator. And I even want to update and do engineering change to the existing BOM by upload, but it seems that it's also not possible.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

0 Kudos

4 months after I asked this question when I was still evaluate the product.

Now we already started implement the Sap Business ByDesign system and let me wrap up this issue.

Basically Anant's answer is technically correct, but the fact is that Sap Business ByDesign do now support an real multi level BOM. Or the idea of engineering BOM.

There is only production bom in this system and if you need multi-level, import multiple boms into the system.

You can use a single migration template to import multiple bom, but the data is not arranged in a normal way that we familiar.

So if you are the same business that have a lot of R&D works and long engineering bom, the system still assumes that you will have production planner to transform and maintain it mannually in the system.

There are several merits to have a process like this, and finally we accepted this and managed to blend this into our business.

But it will be great if this system can support more on bom import like material import, and give a better solution to translate EBOM to PBOM.

Anantpatel
Active Contributor

Hi speedwings61

Thanks and yes ByDesign is getting improved by each quarterly release and very soon we will have all the necessary functionalities.

Thanks & Regards,

Anant Patel

SME, SAP Business ByDesign

jkhoset
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi

In Work Center Product Development and App Product Design there are some possibilities for integration with CAD and Engineering Systems and to convert imported data to Bill of Material. I am not sure that this meets you needs but may be worth to look into.

Regards John-Kjell