Technology Blogs by Members
Explore a vibrant mix of technical expertise, industry insights, and tech buzz in member blogs covering SAP products, technology, and events. Get in the mix!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chandru6382
Explorer

An ODP (Operational Data Provisioning)-enabled data source is a data extraction mechanism that uses the ODP framework to allow the transfer of data between systems. It leverages the ODP infrastructure to manage the data extraction process efficiently, ensuring that data is consistently and reliably transferred from the source system to the target system.

To consume S4HANA data to SAP Datasphere via ODP, we need a datasource that is ODP enabled, either we can use some standard datasources like (e.g. 2LIS_11_VAHDR - Sales Document Header Data, 2LIS_11_VAITM - Sales Document Item Data) or we can also create a custom datasource either by using a view or table or some custom CDS view.

RSA6.jpgIn order to view the datasources, enter the RSA6 t-code, a hierarchical structure will come.

Over there go through the appropriate modules to find any required standard datasources available and check whether the appropriate datasource is ODP enabled or not (if it is mentioned as a green tick ✔️, it is an ODP enabled datasource, if it is represented as a red cross mark , it is not an ODP enabled datasource)

RSA6(1).jpg

To find the no. of data records and the data in ALV grid or List in the appropriate datasource click on datasource and press execute icon Execute.jpg

then in the Extractor checker page click on Start Extraction.

Extraction.png

A popup will appear representing the no. of records and then below the screen there will be two options to view the data (ALV Grid, List)

result.png

If you want to find the source of the standard datasource, just go to the RSA2 tcode, In the database repository screen, enter the datasource and click on display to view the details and sources of the appropriate datasources.

source.png

Now if the required datasource is not ODP enabled, you can enable it by going to the tcode SE38 and Enter RODPS_OS_EXPOSE and then just execute. After Executing, Enter the appropriate datasource which is to be ODP enabled in the Release datasource page. Once you enter the datasource and release the datasource, the datasource becomes ODP enabled and it can be now consumed in SAP datasphere. We can check the release status in the Display Releases section.

chandru6382_0-1716704191485.png

Now let's Extract this data to datasphere. Log on to Datasphere and then make sure the tenant is connected to the appropriate S4 system.

Go to the databuilder section and click on “Import Remote tables” 

Import.png

then click on the appropriate connection in the popup

chandru6382_1-1716704669796.png

In the next step click on extractors and click on SAPI and then under that choose the appropriate datasource.

chandru6382_0-1716788516964.png

In the next step review the datasource and click on import and deploy. Now the remote table is imported into the datasphere.

chandru6382_2-1716788864664.png

Hence the data is extracted from S4HANA with ODP enabled datasource to SAP Datasphere ✌️

4 Comments
MKreitlein
Active Contributor

Hello @chandru6382 

thanks a lot for the detailed and well-explained Blog 😊

One question remaining: Are ODP datasources only consumeable via Remote Table or also via Dataflow or Replication Flow?

I think I tried this more than one year ago, and failed... and since then I have only been using CDS Views as source for these flows.

Thanks and best regards,

Martin

deshmukh
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi @chandru6382 ,

Very nicely written. Can you also pls mention some points on 'Semantic Usage' in the last screenshot. In your screenshot its 'Relational Usage'. In what scenarios we use other Semantic Usage's. I have read help.sap but could not understand clearly.

Thank you.

chandru6382
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hello @deshmukh ,
Thanks for the comment.
Regarding the semantic usage let me tell you about the semantic usage based on my understanding.

Semantic Usage:
While you import any remote tables into datasphere, the default semantic usage is Relational dataset - it cannot be consumed directly to SAC for analytical purposes.

In order to consume this data from SAP datasphere to SAC, previously (Semantic usage - Analytical dataset) is the option but now its deprecated. As an alternative we can consume the imported remote table as a Fact and then create an analytical model with it.

chandru6382_0-1717307945961.png

By this way we can consume the data from SAP datasphere to SAC for analytical purposes.
I have gone through these semantic usages. Hope it's clear.
Thanks 

karenave
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hola @chandru6382 

In S/4hana, do the deltas of the 2LIS extractors work?

The data that I see in the image from RSA3, being a 2lis, is data created by the restructuring.
How do the deltas of new invoices arrive to datasphee with this mechanism?

Two years ago I managed to load the restructuring because the deltas do not reach Datasphere

Thank you very much for your help

Labels in this area