Enterprise Resource Planning Blogs by SAP
Get insights and updates about cloud ERP and RISE with SAP, SAP S/4HANA and SAP S/4HANA Cloud, and more enterprise management capabilities with SAP blog posts.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
giovani_quadros
Associate
Associate

As an SAP support engineer, I frequently access many different systems a day.

And I suppose that it is after accessing a system that SAP GUI settings change in such a way that an annoying font starts appearing as the default one for monospace characters.

Surprise.png

In the first time the issue happened to me, it took many months for the font to return to normal.

In the second time, I didn't count on patience but instead tried to figure out what was going on.
It was particularly frustrating because not even font settings for SAP GUI would solve the case!
Fortunately, I found the answer and I'd like to publicly share it in this blog post.

Root cause is that the character set for SAP GUI changed.

You can check this discussion to understand the problem of how Eastern characters and Western characters do not have matching "shapes".
While Western characters can be as thin as "I", Eastern characters tend to have equal widths.
And so, it is particularly challenging to find a monospace font that handles both Eastern and Western characters very well.

As you can see, the resulting font disposition for SAP GUI is not aesthetically pleasing.

In other words, it seems ugly! How to get rid of that?

1) Go to program regedit:

regedit_menu.png

2) Go to path HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\SAP\SAPGUI
Front\SAP Frontend Server\FontSettings\ and set CurrentCharSet to 0:

regedit (1).png

In my case, it was set as 129 (Korean) before. Number 0 stands for 'West European', which is probably the same one you're looking for.

Otherwise, you can check page 33 of this documentation for other character sets.
That page also explains the REGEDIT setting above.

1 Comment