Enterprise Resource Planning Blogs by SAP
Get insights and updates about cloud ERP and RISE with SAP, SAP S/4HANA and SAP S/4HANA Cloud, and more enterprise management capabilities with SAP blog posts.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jensen
Employee
Employee
Hello!

My name is Heike Jensen and I am a member of SAP’s SAP S/4HANA Migration Cockpit Product Management team.

Since the beginning of SAP S/4HANA, the SAP S/4HANA Migration Cockpit offers the so-called file approach (upload data by file). Later, the staging approach was added. Since 1909 there is an additional approach available: transfer data directly from an SAP system (MC DT). It uses an RFC connection to connect source and target system. Currently (release 2021), MC DT can only be used to migrate data to SAP S/4HANA (OnPrem) and SAP S/4HANA Cloud, private edition.

Full Migration Cockpit slide deck (all approaches incl. roadmap): http://help.sap.com/disclaimer?site=https://www.sap.com/documents/2017/07/26113ac0-c47c-0010-82c7-ed...

Modelling deep dive MC DT: http://help.sap.com/disclaimer?site=https://www.sap.com/documents/2020/10/62dc808c-b87d-0010-87a3-c3...

I want to share here the top 5 frequently asked questions (as of Feb 2022) – and the answers 😊.

Question 1: Can the Cockpit transfer historical data?

Answer: no.

The SAP S/4HANA Migration Cockpit is designed for a new implementation of an SAP S/4HANA system. So only the necessary data (such as master data, balances, open items, …) is migrated.

To do this, it uses SAP standard APIs. They ensure that the data is in sync and consistent with the settings of the S/4HANA system.

Transferring historical data would mean, to repost old processes or even recreate complete process chains.

The only exception is the object “FI – historical balance” in the file/staging approach.

Check out the migration objects delivered by SAP: Available Migration Objects - SAP Help Portal . Check the release in the header!

Question 2: Can the Cockpit update already transferred data?

Answer: no. The requirement is known but currently not on the roadmap.

The SAP S/4HANA Migration Cockpit is designed for a new implementation of an SAP S/4HANA system. So the data records can only be migrated once.

It is not designed to keep systems in sync.

If you have large volumes, check this tips & tricks note: 3056885 and have a look for mass update standard functions of the respective application in S/4HANA.

Question 3: Can the Cockpit delete transferred data?

Answer: no.

There is no deletion function in the cockpit.

In order to execute several test migration cycles, you can either use different target clients or refresh the target system as a whole.

If you want to just delete some records, you can look for deletion functions in the respective application. You can use the report mentioned in this SAP note to delete records from the Migration Cockpit (direct transfer). In productive systems, it is not allowed to delete already migrated records from the Migration Cockpit because of auditing reasons.

Background information: deleting data is a very complex topic. Even in the “old ERP days” there was no function such as “reset” this application. Some applications offered some functions, but this was only for dedicated areas.

Question 4: Can I download the selected records?

Answer: yes, starting with 2021 FPS1.

Go to the migration object instance list. Click on the “migration results” view. Here you can choose the action/status “selected” (and other criteria) and use the download button. The download button will later also be available in the “standard” view.

Question 5: Can I debug the selection?

Answer: no. The requirement to provide more capabilities to analyse the selection outcome is known.

The selection cannot be debugged as it is executed in batch.

The MC DT selection consists of several steps. First, the relevant organizational units are derived (in the ERP case from the given company code(s)). Then, other criteria as mentioned in the object documentation are taken into consideration.

So if you want to analyse why the selection result is perhaps not as you expected it, first have a look into the migration object documentation. If you are familiar with the modelling environment, you can have a look into the LTMOM definition of the respective object.

We recently published the following KBA 3249988: Details on selection process - SAP S/4HANA Migration Cockpit - Direct Transfer. The PDF attached explains in very technical details how the selection works. This document might help to find the root cause in case you get selection results you did not expect.

We had some cases where records in the source system had a blank in the field for the organizational unit (e.g. plant).
23 Comments
0 Kudos
Hello,

I have a question, is it possible to transfer installed based and convert it to functional location from SAP ECC to SAP S/4 HANA ?

Thank you and have a good day.
SergioFerrari
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
Thanks for your great blog series Heike !

I wonder to know if an SAP S/4HANA system will be supported as source system in the future, for example, to leverage MC also during system consolidations projects.

Kind regards

Jensen
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos
Hello Alix,

I guess you are asking about a dedicated migration object? Pls. have a look at the delivered migration objects using this link. Pls. set the release you are using (in the upper part of the page) and use the search function to find the corresponding object for the approach Direct Transfer. The object  documentation should provide the information needed.

Best regards,

Heike
Jensen
Employee
Employee
Hello Sergio,

this requirement is known but currently not on the roadmap. Consolidation projects are very complex ...

Best regards,

Heike
0 Kudos
Hi Heike,

Thanks for this blog.

Can we use direct transfer from S/4 HANA to S/4 HANA for transferring master data from quality system to production system.

Kind Regards,

Gaurav
Jensen
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos
Hello Gaurav,

you are welcome :-).

The MC Direct transfer uses Migration Objects to select the relevant data from the SAP ERP source and to create/post it in the SAP S/4HANA target system. This means the objects are defined in a way that they read the ERP tables. This means: with the MC DT, you cannot transfer data from S4 to S4.

Pls. also see our official MC slide deck, slide 63:

The SAP S/4HANA migration cockpit facilitates the transfer of business data from anSAP source system to SAP S/4HANA. The SAP S/4HANA migration cockpit is designed for an initial load of data, specificallyfor the SAP S/4HANA new implementation scenario. It is not designed to keep data in sync between systems, to realize a continuousexchange or flow of data, or to establish an integration scenario. SAP S/4HANA systems are currently not supported as source systems.

Best regards,

Heike
former_member818898
Discoverer
0 Kudos
Hello Heike,

I am currently using the S4HANA On Premise release 2020 and I am trying to deliver to my client a list of instances in order to receive a confirmation of the data that I am about to migrate. As I read from your post, this feature for downloading the Instances list is available from release 2021. Is there any alternative with release 2020 ? Is there a virtual/staging table from where I can export the selected records ?

Thank you!

Nicolae Bordea
Jensen
Employee
Employee
Hello Nicolae,

unfortunately not. The data is stored in intransparent tables so they cannot just be accessed. Sorry for no better news.

Best, Heike
steven_shi1
Explorer
0 Kudos
Hi  Heike,

My question is how to transfer  my migration project to anther system , like  from  DEV to PRD.

Best regards.
Jensen
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos
Hi Steven,

which approach do you use? Direct transfer or file/staging? For Direct transfer, in 1909 you had to create the project manually again. Starting with release 2020, you use the transport function (you assign the project to a transport when you create the project).

Best, Heike
andreaskeplinger
Discoverer
0 Kudos
Hello Heike,

is it possible to simulate import with MC DT similar to the program DMC_MC_MIGOBJ_EXEC_STAGING for data migrated from staging tables?

Best regards

Andreas Keplinger
Jensen
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hello Andreas,

you can use the debugging functionality in LTMOM as described in slide 70 of the LTMOM deep dive slide deck: LINK. This comprises mapping and simulation. Pls. pay attention to the detailled docu in the function.

The selection cannot be debugged. However, we have recently created a KBA which describes the selection logic in very technical detail. KBA 3249988 is brand-new, we will probably attach the PDF with the content tomorrow. Selection is not as "easy" as it might look like :-).

Best regards,

Heike

kremena123
Discoverer
0 Kudos
Hi Heike,

I need to migrate the Mig Obj CO - Kostensatz but it is missing in the selection list, why? CO - Kostensatz | SAP Help Portal

What shall I do?

Thx and nr,

Kremena
Jensen
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hello Kremena,

which release are you on? Since release 2020, this object is availabe in direct transfer.

Best, Heike

kremena123
Discoverer
0 Kudos
Hi Heike,

106 S4CORE realease, this should be 2021, still I'm missing it. Is it covered by the Activity price?

Thx,

Kremena
Jensen
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos
Hi Kremena,

pls. check the page for migration objects: Available Migration Objects | SAP Help Portal

Pls. make sure to select the correct SAP S/4HANA release (in the header of the page) and the approach (direct transfer or file/staging).

If the object is listed there for your release but does not appear in your system, pls. open a ticket under: CA-LT-MC.

Best regards,

Heike
kirkupm
Explorer
0 Kudos
Hi heike.jensen
I am executing my first Direct Transfer Project and have made my selection from my source ECC system but before I transfer the data to the target system I want to download it and review the data.

The purpose is to deduplicate the Customer/Vendor data as the client had historical reasons to duplicate the same entity in more than one account.  I have convinced them that this is not necessary and we will deduplicate many-to-one so I need to review before transferring to S4.

I wrongly assumed I could download the data after I extracted it with DMC RFC Read but this doesn't appear to be possible and with the file/staging method it shows the staging tables the data is stored in, but with direct transfer this information is not seen in DMC.

I hope you can help me to extract the data into an excel file/staging kind of template, which after deduplication I think we will need to load into S4 without direct transfer.

My only other option at the moment is to extract the table information from ECC with the Data Browser and/or SAP Queries like I have in the past, but this is not preferred as I ideally wanted the data in the S4 Data Structure without any manual rework in Excel.

Thanks in advance for your comments and assistance.

Best Regards

Mark Kirkup
Jensen
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos
Hello Mark,

since 2021 FPS1 you can download the selected data within the direct transfer approach: SAP S/4HANA Migration Cockpit – Direct Transfer: release comparison | SAP Blogs

However, you cannot upload massaged data back into the direct transfer. The direct transfer is designed to migrate data from the source system "as it is", only mappings (see mapping tasks) are possible.

You can adapt the data in your source system or you can exclude data that you do not want to be transferred, possibilities see here, slides 32ff.

If you want to heavily cleanse data, you should rather go for the file/staging approach. In file/staging, you can prepare your upload files in the way you want.

We have a small overview when to use which approach here, slide 32: link

Best regards,

Heike
kirkupm
Explorer
0 Kudos
Hi Heike
Thanks for your reply.  I can't see anywhere how to download the data from the DMC, although I did manage to downloiad the data from SE80 but the file structures as excel or text is not useful.

I would like to download the data in the template format so I can deduplicate the data and load it via File/Staging method.

To be clear I want to EXTRACT the data with DMC Direct Transfer and then export/download it into excel and deduplicate the data and re-upload the data into file/staging option.

Can you please clarify if and how ths can be done in the tool.

Best Regards

Mark Kirkup
Jensen
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hello Mark,

you can download the selected items in the migration object instances screen, button "download all" since 2021 FPS1.

It is not possible to extract this data in another way as they are stored in an intransparent way.

It is not possible upload data which was selected by the Direct Transfer approach to the staging approach/staging tables.

If you need to cleanse/massage data before the migration, you should use the staging approach => download the staging template excels and fill them or fill the staging tables directly.

Best regards,

Heike

kirkupm
Explorer
0 Kudos
Hi Heike
I found the download option but the data was not in a way I could use it, unless I did something wrong but I had a few other people look at it and none of us could retreive the data in a useable way in the DMC or in SE80.

It looks like we will need to go to the old fashioned way of extracting the data and putting it into the staging tables, but of course the data architecture has changed and there is quite a lot of work involved in doing this.

My hope was we could direct transfer the data from the ECC source systems into the DMC, then download the data from the DMC in the Object Modeller format and populate the staging tables with the deduplicated data.

I guess I was hoping for an easier route than in the past, but currently it appears that it's not possible.

Thanks for responding and maybe you can consider the above for future development.

If you are ever looking for product testers or data migration experts with a lot of project experience for improvements to your SAP offerings, then please reach out to me.

Best Regards
Mark Kirkup
Jensen
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos
Hello Mark,

thanks for your feedback!

Could you pls. create a ticket on component CA-LT-PE-BAS and note they shall pls. forward it to me, then I can get in direct contact with you.

Best regards & have a nice weekend,

Heike
Jensen
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos
Hello Mark,

thanks for you feedback!

Can you pls. create a ticket on component CA-LT-PE-BAS and note that they shall pls. forward it to me? I can then get in contact with you.

Thanks & have a nice weekend!

Heike