Enterprise Resource Planning Blogs by SAP
Get insights and updates about cloud ERP and RISE with SAP, SAP S/4HANA and SAP S/4HANA Cloud, and more enterprise management capabilities with SAP blog posts.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TinaGi
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
To easily identify the spare parts relevant for a technical service, in SAP S/4HANA Service (up to 1809: Customer Management) you can use a function called “Product Proposal” in the service order and service order quotation’s items list. When choosing this function, the system checks for the piece of equipment that is maintained as main reference object, and whether it has a material BOM assigned. If yes, and if the material BOM has been defined with usage S (Customer Management), the Product Proposal displays the spare parts defined in the equipment’s material BOM.

Here are some details to consider if you want to use this function:

Configuration:

In IMG (customizing) you can find detailed documentation about required set-up steps here: ServiceMaster DataProductsProduct Proposal.

The relevant settings for Product Proposal are already delivered as part of the SAP delivery customizing that is available in your system’s client 000. If you have copied the SAP delivery customizing into your test client, you should be all set regarding customizing setup. If not, maintain the customizing settings described in the documentation as you find them in client 000.

Important to know is that the application ID S4C1 with selection ID CM, and the BOM usage S (Customer Management) are mandatory. The Product Proposal function will not work with different application IDs and BOM usages.

Master Data Maintenance:

In the Material master data maintenance, first create a material to use as a construction type. In SAP GUI, the transaction is MM01. In Fiori the tile is called “Create Material”.

In the Material BOM maintenance, for the material created above, create a BOM with usage S and assign the relevant components (spare parts and optionally service products) to it. In SAP GUI, the transaction is CS01. In Fiori the tile is called “Maintain Bill of Material”.

Finally, assign the construction type to a piece of equipment. In SAP GUI, the transaction is IE02. Alternatively use the Fiori tile “Change Technical Object”.

Using the Product Proposal in a Service Order or Service Order Quotation:

To use the Product Proposal, log on to the SAP S/4HANA Service frontend (WebClient), for example as a service professional, and create a service order or service order quotation. Maintain the equipment from above as main reference object. Then in the items list choose Product Proposal.

If the piece of equipment is part of an equipment or functional location structure, you will also find that structure displayed in the Product Proposal dialog box.

4 Comments
sepahpour
Discoverer
0 Kudos
Nice blog, seems to be the only content on the subject. I have a few questions though that are not clear from your Blog.

What Material Type did you use for the BOM Header Material?

Also I can get the BOM to explode in VA01 but not in the Service Order transaction. Noted that the Item categories are duplicated between Sales and Service, so made the necessary settings for the Item Category Single Level Explosion, but still not appearing in the Product proposal screen.

Any suggestions
TinaGi
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos
Hello Andrew,

for material type I used e.g. HAWA and SRVP, but others should work as well.

Please make sure to use BOM usage S. I was told that this is the only type that works.

If you need support, it would be best with access to your system. Therefore please raise an SAP Support ticket if required.

Thanks.
sepahpour
Discoverer
0 Kudos
Hi Bettina,

Thank you for your response.

I have tried to use BOM Usage type S, but it will not retrieve any material BOM, either in Sales or in Service.

However, I have used BOM usage 5, and this does retrieve the Material BOM, but it will not explode the details. All of the Item category determination appears correct, as it determines correctly if you add the materials manually in the service order item screen.

`Are you aware of any other configuration guide other than your Blog?

regards,

sepahpour
Discoverer
0 Kudos
Just confirmed that Version management is not supported for material BOM's in Customer management. Turning off Version management enables the Material BOM to appear in the product proposal screen.

It does not resolve the BOM explosion though.