Additional Blogs by SAP
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
uwe_fischer
Explorer

Analytical data is relevant for more and more users. In more use-cases and more frequent. Integration of transactional with analytical data is result of this trend as is the demand for mobile analytics. SAP NetWeaver BW is an excellent source of high quality analytical data. Just it offered only a MDX interface for external consumption so far. Which is great if you intend to do real analytics with high flexibility, but it is quite sophisticated if you just want to display some reporting values.

That is what ‘Easy query’ was designed for – for simplicity and ease of consumption. And it really is easy - actually it is just a flag. At least that’s what you need to deal with, the rest is done by the system: Choose or define yourself a query in BEX Query Designer. On query level you define it as ‘Easy Query’ next to where you expose it for ODBO:

Upon save the system checks some constraints that apply for ‘Easy Queries’, like Key-figures are on x-axis, characteristics on the y-axis, only single value variables etc. (see documentation for details).

With saving the query, your job is done. The system responds a message about the generation of the typed backend stub for this ‘Easy query’. And, by the way, this setting is integrated into the transport logistics of the query, so that every ‘Easy query’ will trigger the generation of the backend stub upon import into a system.

To see what happens behind the scenes, let us look into the backend. Here the new transaction EQMANAGER allows managing all ‘Easy queries’. You can monitor generation processes, force generation and map the generated objects to the ‘Easy queries’:

It is also possible to test such generated stub:

You surely agree that this was very easy. But you might wonder about the benefit, still. I would say this is almost up to your imagination. With this one flag the system generates a remote enabled ABAP function, a SOAP service and an ODATA service. It is your choice which technology fits best the needs of your project:

To give you an idea how easy also the consumption side can be, we provide how-to examples for different consumption scenarios:

'Easy query' is available with SAP NetWeaver BW 7.30 SP5 and BEx Query Designer 7.20 revision 672.

10 Comments
athavanraja
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
Thanks for letting us know this feature. From when this has been available?

Will have to read the limitations part.

Regards
Raja
athavanraja
Active Contributor
michael_koch9
Active Participant
0 Kudos
Hello,

is there integration planned / available to use the EasyQuery Interface with SAP Sybase Unwired Platform for Mobile Application Development ?

Regards
Marcus Pospiech
uwe_fischer
Explorer
0 Kudos
Mi Marcus,
we plan to have a SAP Gateway integration early 2012. This way we will fully benefit from its SAP Sybase Unwired Platform integration. This will be covered in the ODATA blog that will be posted soon.
Best,
Uwe
MartinMaruskin
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
Hi Uwe,
I'm on 73 SP04. I see in BEx Query Designer flag "Use Query as Web Service". Is it the same thing as "easy query" just renamed?
Thanks, Martin
uwe_fischer
Explorer
0 Kudos
Hi Martin,
you need BW 7.30 SP5 and BEx Query Designer 7.20 revision 672 to use this feature.
Best,
Uwe

uwe_fischer
Explorer
0 Kudos
Hi Marcus,
we plan to have an integration with SAP Gateway available early 2012. Thus we inherit its integraion with SAP Sybase Unwired Platform.
The SAP Gateway integration is subject of the ODATA-integration blog that will be available soon.
Best,
Uwe
mvoros
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
I believe you can already do this. I built a simple mobile app that calls easy query but I did not use SUP. But it shouldn't be a problem. Easy query generates a web service for you and any web service can be easily consumed from SUP.

Cheers
Former Member
0 Kudos
Hi Uwe,

Do you know who can help me with HANA MDX error messages?

Best Regards,

Greg
KulDeepJain
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Nice and easy feature... thanks for sharing