cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WebIDE itself as on backend system ( webIDE itself as on-premise )

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I recently installed local trial version of WebIDE on my laptop. It is working great.

But if I want to bring WebIDE into my clients system/landscape as a on-premise

then what are the options. I searched in SDN I always ended up finding docs with

mentioned as on-premise

back-end system connections or

*planned for productive Local trial WebIDE.

But I need some docs/suggestion on how to get this webIDE itself as on-premise

intranet application. Can we use existing SAP gateway hub application server to

host WebIDE?

Thanks,

Srinivas.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

amolgupta
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Srinivas,

As you already mentioned that Web IDE local/on premise version is NOT available for productive purposes.

All developers do not need to install their own WebIDE, you can just run it from one machine that can be accessed over the intranet. Instead of localhost:port, the developers can use ComputerIP/Name:port.

I hope this helps !

Thanks and Regards,

Amol Gupta

tamir_menahem
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi,

Web IDE Personal edition (previously known as Local Installation) is now available for productive purpose. See here: https://tools.hana.ondemand.com/#sapui5. This is relatively new offer, therefore it is not well known to everyone.

Install on one machine and accessed over the intranet is not supported; even not as a beta version.

Thanks, Tamir

amolgupta
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Tamir,

For productive purposes you still need paid subscription to SAP WebIDE on SAP HANA Cloud Platform.

Note: The Personal Edition can be used for the following purposes:

• Trial Use - for test and evaluation (non-productive scenarios).
  • Productive Use - for customers with a paid subscription to SAP Web IDE on SAP HANA Cloud Platform.

Regards,

Amol G.

tamir_menahem
Explorer
0 Kudos

Yes, you are right. You have to pay, but afterwards it is productive.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Amol,

Thanks for the helpful insight. My client is OK to pay for the WebIDE but want to get out of hassle of installation on each workstation. It is a huge cost to organization. SAP added a legal point ( see attached ) that according their terms it is not intended for use as a intranet application.

Hopefully SAP will come up with a WebIDE intranet edition.

Thanks,

Srinivas.

rakeshnarayan
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Srinivas,

PFB few points for consideration:

1. The local installation version of SAP Web IDE is a trial shipment (as of now) provided on SAP Community Network. The described features cannot be used productively.

2. The following features are not available if you are using SAP Web IDE as local installation:

a. SAP HANA Cloud features:

i.    Deploying to SAP HANA Cloud○

ii.   Running applications on SAP HANA Cloud

iii.  Extending applications on SAP HANA Cloud

iv.  Importing applications from SAP HANA Cloud

b. Plug-in development

c. Template development

d. Consumption of optional plugins Note

3. In order to use SAP Web IDE with its full functionality, we must use SAP HANA Cloud Platform.

4. You can definitely connect ABAP System (pre-requisites should be met)

i. You have installed SAP_BASIS 7.31 SP 14 or 7.40 SP 8 or later.

ii. If you are using SAP_BASIS 7.31, make sure that the software components of the UI add-on for          SAP NetWeaver (UI_INFRA and UI5_731) are installed.

5. In case if you want to work on Offline Web IDE, you need to manually export project from WebIDE (SAP HANA Cloud Platform) and then import it to your local Web IDE(If configured, it should interact with your SAP Systems).

Hope my answer will help you.

In case if you need further clarification, please help me with more details about your issue.

Regards,

Rakesh Narayan.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Rakesh,

We do not have cloud infrastructure and also cannot open on-premise backend system for SAP cloud to be able to use subscription of SAP WebIDE cloud account. What I am looking for is OTHER than WebIDE local on developer workstation and  also not the SAP cloud based webIDE tool.

Thanks,

Srinivas.

tamir_menahem
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Srinivas,

The Local Installation is now Personal Edition and it is offered for productive use:

https://tools.hana.ondemand.com/#sapui5

What is the main obstacle for using the cloud version?

Customer doesn’t have public internet connection? Or it is related to security concerns?

Thanks, Tamir

Former Member
0 Kudos

Tamir,

It is a security concern and if management chose to go with cloud ( for any kind of reason ) then it will take a year ( probably more ) to complete approval. So the best case is WebIDE as a intranet application.

Thanks,

Srinivas.

tamir_menahem
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Srinivas,

Web IDE is being provided with many flavors:

• Cloud HCP Neo
  • On-premise (XSA) HANA
  • Personal (Local) edition

I’m not sure that I fully understand your requirement, but I will try:

You are not expected to use Personal (Local) edition for private cloud.

Maybe the On-premise HANA is a good solution for you?

Please provide more details about the requirement, and the motivation behind, so we can provide more information.

Thanks, Tamir

Former Member
0 Kudos

Tamir,

First, thank you very much for taking time.

Here are our requirements.

My clients environment is highly confidential and very much regulated service.

After careful analyzing below are the main bottleneck points to be considered for

choosing of what kind of infrastructure for WebIDE should be.

1. As of today there is no cloud infrastructure and no plans until 2018.

2. Opening up ports/access to on-premise back end systems is not an option to my client.

3. Installation of IDE on each developer workstation is not an economical as we are already

going through process overhead for getting eclipse on to workstations.

4. most of the sap instances are connected through SAP Gateway Hub.

So we think if developers can access SAPWebIDE  through a intranet URL of some thing like http://webide.company.com ( hosting webIDE as one of the intranet application )

http://webide.sapintance.company.com ( hosting webIDE as one of the application on SAP NetWeaver instance itself )

One of the above would be the easy for this particular clients situation.

In between i will check out your option 2. Hope I am clear about my situation.

Thanks,

Srinivas.