Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sybase SQL Anywhere Remote Server to SQL Server with Windows Authentication

former_member292966
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

I'm using SQL Anywhere 16 and trying to create a Remote Server to a SQL Server database using Windows Authentication. Both are on separate Windows 2019 server.

For ODBC to connect to the SQL Server, the Sybase service account is authenticated to SQL Server because of the Windows Authentication.

The Sybase service account does not have permissions to the databases on SQL Server. When I create the Remote Server, I am hoping to have the ability to impersonate or redirect the sign on to a different account that does have permissions to the database on SQL Server.

Is this possible? From what I can see, Remote Servers will only work with local accounts on SQL Server and not Windows Authentication.

Thanks,

Brian

chris_keating
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

The default service account is LOCAL SYSTEM and that account is not something that can be an Integrated Windows authentication based connection. The solution is to change the SQL Anywhere service account to an user account on that machine. In the service, change the log on as from Local System account to This account. This will work but all remote server connections from this SQL Anywhere service will use that account.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

chris_keating
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

When running SQL Anywhere in the context of a Windows service, the account that is supplied to an Integrated Login request is the account for the service. It will not use the account of the connected user to SQLA.

former_member292966
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the reply. We have the Sybase service account connected to the SQL Server but the problem we are facing is, our Sybase server has several users and databases. We can't have 1 single account have complete access to all of the databases/objects on our SQL Server. That goes against some basic security policies.

Our hope is to either have the Remote Server allow impersonation, similar to how SQL Server Linked servers can. This would allow the service account to sign into SQL Server but pass a different account to the database it's connecting to.

Let me know if this is even possible. Unfortunately, using a local account on SQL Server is not possible. Our security model is to use Windows Authentication only.

Thanks,

Brian