cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to sort the List of Table Columns report component by table name then column name

bog
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hello,

I am making efforts not to express my frustration dealing with the PD reporting tool 🙂

I want to pull out of my data model a simple a list of tables, and for each table the list of its columns with their information, name, datatype, comments. Simple enough, right?

So:

1. What items from the toolbox do I have to select in order to produce this report (I am using the modern report tool, not the legacy editor):

<Table1>

<Table1 comments>

<Table1 table of columns>

<Table 2>

<Table 2 comments>

<Table 2 table of columns>

... etc.

It's a master detail report where the master represents the tables list and the details are the columns for each table.

2. Because I could not figure #1 out, I settled for the List of Table Columns from the toolbox. But how do I sort the list by table name, column name? I tried to use the Edit Selection dialog. When I check the Table and the Name attributes and run the report nothing gets displayed. The Used checkboxes are clear for these two.

3. How do I sort the columns by their intrinsic order in the table - there seems to be no attribute that stores the Order Index of a column (that is the order the columns are displayed by default in the Table Properties -> Columns tab grid), or whatever other name they use for this value.

The database is MS Sql Server 2012 and the PD version is: 16.6 SP06 PL07 (64 bit), 16.6.6.7 (5753).

Thanks!

View Entire Topic
GeorgeMcGeachie
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I can get the list of columns to sort alphabetically. In the report editor, choose 'edit selection' on the toolbar for the list of columns

In the 'define sort and filter' dialogue, select the 'S' column in the first row (next to Name)

Now the list is sorted

I did try including the parent name in the sort sequence, but the output was empty. This is a list of columns in one table, so that wasn't actually necessary, sorting by name is enough

GeorgeMcGeachie
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

It does look like attempting to sort on more than one attribute causes the output to be blank, which is definitely a bug

bog
Explorer
0 Kudos

Ok, thanks for confirming.