cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EPM Add in performance in Office 365

toni-verdu
Discoverer

Hello.
We have a BPC project developed in BPC 10.0 Microsoft platform, SQL Server 2012. The EPM Add in version is SP36 patch 1 (the last published).
When users open a template with several EPM reports the performance is different for each user. The test has been made in the same machine, logging with different AD users. Users are identical, same permissions in AD, local machine and BPC. The MS Office version is 365 64 bits (equivalent to Excel 2016).
The execution time for refreshing a report can be over 30% more with a different user. Even more if there are other MS office applications running like Outlook or Word. But there's one AD user that refreshing times are always good, with Outlook or Word running.
Why performance is not the same for all users? Why Outlook or Word affect the EPM Add in performance? Why this affect some users and not others?
Thanks in advance.
Kind regards,

Toni.

former_member186338
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Sorry, but this is not an answer to the question!

And it's meaningless to talk about "same performance issue" without providing versions details.

0 Kudos

Hi, we are experiencing the same issue with EPM 38, Office 2002. So far we have disabled hardware acceleration in Excel, which seems fixed the issue in the test environment but not with production users with with Windows 10 1709 but not with 1909. Anything that you can surgest would be of great help?

0 Kudos

Further, update, performance was normal with running MS Word and Outlook in safe mode. Then attempted to disable add-on's which made no difference to performance. Monitored system using process explorer did not see any spikes in CPU, memory etc. Test user had already disabled hardware acceleration in MS Excel as standard practice. Also disabled check for certificate revocation in Internet explorer.

mike_newman
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Hi Toni and John

I would be very interested if you found a fix!!

We have pretty much similar behaviour. A large report refreshes in 40 seconds before opening Word or Outlook and then takes 3-4 times longer after opening one of these Office Apps. We are using Office 365 apps for Enterprise.

This is what our logs look like for same report with same selection:

Word Closed: 2021-06-03 11:18:55,623|DEBUG|Performance|FPMXLClient.AddIn.RefreshSheetWithScan|1xxxx5|||||VSTA_Main|Method [RefreshSheetWithScan] end, duration = 41.964 s#

Word Open: 2021-06-03 11:24:10,722|DEBUG|Performance|FPMXLClient.AddIn.RefreshSheetWithScan|1xxxx5|||||VSTA_Main|Method [RefreshSheetWithScan] end, duration = 178.444 s#

Strangely for other users it does not matter what Office Apps they have open their Refresh performance is always good.

View Entire Topic
toni-verdu
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Hello Mike.
It’s been a long time since I opened this question. When BPC reports have many formulas that are calculated on other excel cells, it impacts in the response time, especially if formulas are vlookups and index functions.
I remember that we applied some changes to desktop configuration in order to improve performance (very little):
Apply SAP note 2348414, modify FPMXLClient.dll.config file (C:\Program Files\SAP BusinessObjects\EPM Add-In) to comment following entries:
<!--
<add key="UseCopySpecialPasteForFormatting" value="true" />
<add key="UseExcelCopyForValuesAndFormulas" value="true" />
<add key="UseDoEventsOnExcelPasteSpecial" value="false" />
-->

And add a new windows registry key (regedit):
New DWORD (32 bits) value into the key
\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Common\General
name AcbControl
AcbControl (DWORD) = Hex 80000000
You must edit the registry with the user logged in the desktop, as it’s a HKEY_CURRENT_USER key.

I hope this information will be usefull.

Regards,

Toni.

mike_newman
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Thanks Toni - appreciate you getting back to me