cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to configure sybase(primary) to sybase(standby) replication?

0 Kudos

Hello Experts,

I am new to sybase and i have a have a task for implementing database replication for solman 7.2 that is installed on Sybase ase 16.0 and AIX operating system.

From my research i have noted that there are two possible approaches:-

1. Use of SRS
  2. Log shipping

Which method is recommended and which reasons?

If go for SRS option, will i need a seperate server or i can still install it on either primary or standay server?

Regards,

James.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (6)

Answers (6)

0 Kudos

Hello James,

In addition to above recommendations, HADR setup require additional host in case if you want Fault manager to automate the Replication monitor/failover and Fault manager installation requires same platform as HADR node RDMS version is ASE16 . However, if your RDBMS is on ASE 15 these are straight forward steps as per the standard configuration shared by kashyap.shah3

Thanks,

Amar

0 Kudos

Thanks for your input Amarnath

kashyap_shah3
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi James,

The figure on Overview of the HADR System describes architecture for an HADR system using SRS.

You can drill further down to look at Installing HADR for Business Suite for the procedure.

Unfortunately I've not got a screenshot procedure which would have made life much simpler for you.

Let me know if you've specific doubts following the procedure.

Best Regards,
Kashyap Shah

0 Kudos

Hi Kashyap,

Thank you.

My exact scenario is this. Primary db(Production solman) is already is in place. Standby is also in place but I have doubts with it and want to re-install it and configure HADR afresh.

If I re-install standby application and database(with equal versions, SPs and PLs), will I have to redo all the configurations(solman_setup) manually or they will be populated from the primary db during replication?

kashyap_shah3
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi James,

Short answer is NO, you don't need to (re)do any configuration manually.

Broader level sequential steps from the link I'd already provided are:
On Primary -
On Companion -

Post-Installation Tasks for Primary and Companion Servers

Again, browse through various sections on the link provided for exhaustive setup steps.

Let me know how you get on.

Best Regards,
Kashyap Shah

Thank you for these straight forward steps. I will follow the steps and get back to you.

Regards,

James.

0 Kudos

Hi Kashyap,

I am now in the process of configuring replication. I have installed DMO successfully, but when i try to run setuphadr with the respective response files on primary(previously existing) i get the folowing error

I searched and noted that the error is because RMA is already running. I logged into RMA and issued sap_teardown command but the opereation was not successful as shown below.

I want want to uninstall the current RMA so i install a new one. Kindly share the process of uninstalling RMA.

Thanks,

James.

0 Kudos

Thank you for your responses guys,

Could you please explain the architecture. Do i need to have SRS on primary and another SRS on standby, or i can just have SRS on a seperate host and connect it to both primary and standby?

Since Sybase does not support MCOD, does it mean i will configure replication for the two databases(ABAP and Java) seperately?

Also if someone has a step by step process of how to configure replication, i would really appreciate.

regards,

James.

kaus19d
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi jameswambulwa,

I see that Kashyap & Sriram already mentioned most of the details. Apart from the already mentioned, to understand better & to know the pre-requirements, I would suggest to go through SAP Note: 1891560 & below,

https://www.sap.com/documents/2016/09/be890415-8b7c-0010-82c7-eda71af511fa.html

https://blogs.sap.com/2019/10/25/hadr-with-dedicated-network-for-replication-sap-ase-16.0-sp03/

Thanks,

Kaushik

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi James.

Check this blog it may help you, using SRS method

https://blogs.sap.com/2018/04/19/high-availability-disaster-recovery-3-node-hadr-with-sap-ase-16.0-s...

Regards

SS

kashyap_shah3
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi James,

Please refer SAP Note 1650511 - SYB: High Availability Offerings with SAP Adaptive Server Enterprise which list all possible solutions with detail. Depending on your specific requirement, one of the solution should suit you best.

Let me know if you've any more specific query.

Best Regards,
Kashyap Shah