cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error when creating an Universe Connection using IDT against the Google BigQuery data

astudillo
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Everyone,

We get the error ->"Invalid xml file format" when creating a Universe Connection using IDT against the Google BigQuery data, please see below

1 Enable Google BigQuery API

-2 Validating Google BigQuery

To ensure the Google BigQuery API is successfully activated a simple test can be executed via the Google BigQuery Web Interface. Google provides a set of samples that can be used for the validation of the BigQuery connectivity.

-3 Installation of Simba BigQuery ODBC Driver

Simba BigQuery ODBC drivers is available in 32 bits and 64 Bits. Depending on the SAP BusinessObjects BI40 Suite Client tools used, either the 32 bits AND / OR the 64 Bits driver has to be installed.

• 32 bits ODBC Driver install
  • 64 bits ODBC Driver install

-4 Configuring the ODBC Driver Manager on Unix - Configuring ODBC Connections on Unix

To make sure that the ODBC driver manager on your machine is configured to work with the Simba ODBC Driver for Google BigQuery

After the installation of the Simba BigQuery ODBC driver (either 32 or 64 Bits), the ODBC configuration has to be completed before the connection can be used.

The configuration withholds the Confirmation Code required to communicate from the system to the BigQuery API.

-5 Building a Universe (UNX) on Google BigQuery using IDT

Now we are setup to use the Simba BigQuery ODBC connector and will be able to create a Universe against the Google BigQuery data using the Information Design Tool (IDT)

• 5.1 Creating Connection using IDT
  • 1. Start Information Design Tool
  • 2. Within the Repository Recourse Tab, connect to your SAP BusinessObjects BI Platform
  • 3. Unfold the Connection to you BI Platform and navigate to a folder of choice for creating a new connection
  • 4. Right mouse click on the folder of choice and select “Insert Relational Connection”
  • 5. The “New Relational Connection” Wizard will appear, enter a name for the connection and continue with Next
  • 6. In the screen “Database Middelware Driver Selection” choose for -> Generic -> Generic ODBC datasource -> ODBC Drivers-> At this point we get this error-> Invalid xml file format
  • 7. We cannot follow to the next screen-> “Parameters for Generic ODBC datasource connection (1/3)”

Please, Do you know the cause of this error and how to solve it?

Please see screen shots attached

insert-relational-connection.jpgdatabase-middelware-driver-selection.jpgdatabase-middelware-driver-selection-odbc.jpgdatabase-middelware-driver-selection-odbc3.jpg

Best Regards

Antonio

denis_konovalov
Active Contributor

I have fixed your tag to match content of your question.

astudillo
Participant
0 Kudos

Thank you Denis Konovalov

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

ayman_salem
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

This KBA may tell you how to configure ODBC on Linux (example here for Snowflake).

KBA 2964823 - How to connect to a Snowflake database with ODBC connectivity on a Linux server running BI

see Also "Data Access Guide"

Creating ODBC Connections

https://help.sap.com/viewer/aa4cb9ab429349e49678e146f05d7341/4.2.8/en-US/4592cd3b6e041014910aba7db0e...

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

astudillo
Participant
0 Kudos

Thank you very much but I have only asked you a simple question->, PLEASE Must the name of the System Data Source of the Simba ODBC driver be the same in BOTH sides (on the client where you run IDT, UDT, Rich client, and in the BO Server) ?

I have not access to KBA

ayman_salem
Active Contributor

* Driver should be installed on BOTH (client and server)

* The configuration should be identical (name of the system data source, ....)

see "Data Access Guide"

https://help.sap.com/viewer/aa4cb9ab429349e49678e146f05d7341/4.2.8/en-US/4592cd3b6e041014910aba7db0e...

astudillo
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Ayman or Everyone,

Thank you very much for your answer :

"on BOTH.

on the client where you run IDT, UDT, Rich client, ....

and on Server".

Let me please clarify your answer... Do you mean on BOTH and my question is Must the name of the System Data Source of the Simba ODBC driver be the same in BOTH servers (on the client where you run IDT, UDT, Rich client, and in the BO Server) ?

Thanks in advance

Best Regards

Antonio

astudillo
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello ,

We have not installed SIMBA in Windows yet where the client tool IDT is installed but yes in Unix where Bo server is installed. The error is in the unix side in the server side, in the Repository Resources... (cms) When I try to create a connection (secured) to Big Query in the Repository resources not in the windows local machine , I get the error as you can see in the screen shots. In Windows the odbc simba driver is not yet installed.

ayman_salem
Active Contributor

You should install and configure it on the Windows system to connect under IDT

ayman_salem
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Did you install and configure the "Simba BigQuery ODBC" Driver on the Windows system running IDT?

astudillo
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Ayman,

Are you sure that "You should install and configure it on the Windows system to connect under IDT" is the reason of the error ->"Invalid xml file format" and tell me why

Best Regard

Antonio

astudillo
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Everyone,

One question please..

Do we have only to configure the odbc simba driver in the local windows server where the client tool IDT is installed? We do not have to installed the odbc simba driver in the BO server , (unix), server installation->CMS, just only on the client installation ->IDT

Thanks in advance

Best Regards

Antonio

ayman_salem
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

on BOTH.

and on Server.

astudillo
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Ayman,

Thank you very much for your answer :

"on BOTH.

and on Server".

Let me please clarify your answer... Do you mean on BOTH and my question is Must the name of the System Data Source of the Simba ODBC driver be the same in BOTH servers (on the client where you run IDT, UDT, Rich client, and in the BO Server) ?

Thanks in advance

Best Regards

Antonio

ayman_salem
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

* Driver should be installed on BOTH (client and server)

* The configuration should be identical (name of the system data source, ....)

see "Data Access Guide"