cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Desperate - Text pasted from word changing format including upper to Proper

mercedes_green
Participant
0 Kudos

I don't know what the heck is going on with CR (2013 developer addition). I have no choice but to input a CR from a 36 page word document. Here are all the issues:

1. The text in the headers appear in word as upper case. I copy and paste into Notepad, it's uppercase. I paste into a text box in CR and in the edit mode it's uppercase, but then when it previews, it changes it to Proper case. WTH?

2. The line spacing, paragraph spacing and indents are all setup properly in word. When I paste into CR, in edit mode looks great, then preview it changes to single spacing between paragraphs and the indents are all messed up.

3. I am copying numbered paragraphs yet when pasted, CR is changing all the numbering to always start at 1 no matter when I'm pasting.

Why is CR changing all the formatting? Can it not just use the formatting from word?? This is a large document with indents, numbering, bullets so I need to be able to copy and paste. I am literally retyping half of this document. I have googled and google but cannot find anything to fix this.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

mercedes_green
Participant
0 Kudos

In your example, try and enter paragraphs that have more than 1 line. When pasted in the first line is always formatted correctly but all others are wrong. I'm now using 2016 version of Crystal and the same problem. I LITERALLY have to pull in the L indent for every other line to fix the text and when you have 10 pages of text to fix, it takes hours.

vitaly_izmaylov
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Have you considered inserting the MS Word document as an OLE object instead of Copy and Paste Option?

mercedes_green
Participant
0 Kudos

Our report has data fields that need to be updated from SQL so we can't simply embed the word document. Plus when certain fields just populated, the text gets moved around to different pages so it has to be dynamic.

Basically I want to replicate a Word Mail Merge Template in CR as we can no longer use these templates in our application.

mercedes_green
Participant
0 Kudos

I'm using CR 2013 developer. How did you format your example in Word? I've included the word formatting marks to show all the variations in word. There is NO formatting to make the letters uppercase. It pastes into Notepad in uppercase which tells me there is no formattinguntitled.png for the case yet when pasted into CR, it goes to Proper. The numbering is auto-numbered in word and is not typed in.

I am literally copying into Notepad, then to CR for the headers and redoing all of the formatting in CR. It's taking hours.

vitaly_izmaylov
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Tested your scenario:

copy and paste the text into a text box in CR

Go to Preview

and I see a problem only with line spacing and indents

What is exact version number of your CR Designer. Note, there are no editions for Crystal Reports in the latest releases.