Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SAP Community Downtime Scheduled for This Weekend

data modeling

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

1)I have a complaint number coming of the customer portal, so I want to compound it with the 0customer, but since the complaint number is dynamic I cannot maintain any master data, so how do I upload the transactional data, do I need to upload both the complaint number and the customer number and, will it be aggregated for the customers and when I use the customer in the report can I get the details of the customer (master data is already maintained for the customer).

2)I have a infoobject with type char string and length=60, It will be fed with the transactional data(text) from flat file, what happens if the text in the transactional data is more than 60 char will it truncate it automatically or do I need to write an ABAP code in transfer rules or update rules to do that.

Thank You.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Just wondering why would you want to compound a complaint number with customer..I would believe that complaint number will just be a part of the transaction data..

If you compound Complaint number with Customer you would have a record in the master data for every unique customer and complaint..

I would suggest just keep it a part of your transaction data..not master data.

Hope I got your scenario right..

Ashish.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey Bhanu..

thanks for covering me once more on the second part of the question..

Ashish.

Former Member
0 Kudos

just to keep track of the customers who have complaints, any other modeling ways? and each customer may have many complaint numbers for different reasons.

Message was edited by: shetty s

former_member188975
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Right, so as a document, would your complaint record have information like Customer number, date, status, priorty etc?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Could you please tell me how are you getting the complaint numbers and where are you storing them right now in BW..

We have used Flags (as attributes) which are populated in the master data load for such cases..

Ashish

Message was edited by: Ashish Gour

Former Member
0 Kudos

it doesnot have customer number since the data is pulled from each customers portal manually and combined.i guess adding a seperate infoobject customer and filling it manually will solve the purpose?

Former Member
0 Kudos

If its being pulled from each customer and sits in a table in BW , you could add a Flag field in customer master and use it as a navigational attribute to identify the customers with complaints..

This flag can be updated in the update rule by referring to that table..

Just a quick check here..Do you intend to get the details of every complaint of the customer or do you just want to know whether the customer has a complaint?

Ashish.

former_member188975
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Ok...but can you identify the source (customer) when pulling the data? If yes, then you can update the data with the customer info too.

Former Member
0 Kudos

i get the detail of each complaint. the entire content will be combined and uploaded as a flat file to the cube.yes the source can be identified.

Former Member
0 Kudos

In that case you can keep it very simple ...

Let the Complaint number just be a part of Transaction data..Don`t try to couple it with master data.

To report on customers with complaints you could just filter your query by excluding # values for Complaint number.

Ashish

former_member188975
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

So as Ashish asked, if you need to analyze each complaint (which customer, when etc) then you would need to update the data with customer info, either by source identification and master data look up if required.

Hope this helps...

former_member188975
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hey Ashish...may be we need to combine forces

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey Bhanu,

I consider myself pretty junior to you..

Have learnt a lot from you..thanks for being so humble..

I guess the BI forum should be grateful to you and Roberto in particular..and all other too who go out of their way to help..

Cheers Ashish..

Former Member
0 Kudos

Bhanu,

can you be more specific what do you mean by master look up, yes you got my exact requirement, i need to be able to report on each customer, example how many complainsts by each cust, complaint quantity by each cust, etc.

former_member188975
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

What I meant was: You said that you can identify the source. So is this identification in the form of the cutsomer number stored in , lets say, 0CUSTOMER ? Eg. Customer in 0CUSTOMER is like 1001, but the identification that you get from the customer portal is like C456, then you need a link between 1001 and C456 if you want to continue using 0CUSTOMER for analysis. If you want to take C456 value and store it in a different InfoObject, then no need of this linking activity.

So once you have C456 linked to 1001, then during load it'll go like take Cust_ID and look up 0CUSTOMER and get coresponding 0CUSTOMER number.

Hope I am not confusing you...

former_member188975
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I appreciate your appreciation and hope to keep on contributing. This is a place where everyone learns

Regards,

Bhanu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for your help guys.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sheety,

Could you please confirm that do you have customer number in the cube right now along with complaint number or is it just complaint number which you are trying to link to the customer..

Do let us know what you finally ended up with..It might help everyone..

Ashish.

Message was edited by: Ashish Gour

Former Member
0 Kudos

i already have the customer(master data 0customer) and i am yet to build cube with the complaint number. thinking of including the customer number from 0customer in the flat file.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member188975
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Shetty,

Not sure why you would like to compound the complaint number to the customer because wouldn't each complaint number be unique... You can have this like as a char of type NUMC.

Forgot the second part: The system will automatically truncate it without you writing any code.

Hope this helps...

Message was edited by: Bhanu Gupta