cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BTP Technical User : Create Routes in Multitenancy

Srinivas-Rao
Contributor

Hello All,

I am struggling to understand the concept of "Technical User" in the BTP context. I am basically trying to follow the video tutorial given in the saphanaacademy channel here:

I believe, the concept explained in this video is due to the issue raised by gregorwolf .

I come from ABAP background and trying to bring analogy with the concept in SAP system. Can someone please let me know the concept of technical user in BTP, how to create it and how does it differ from the technical user in SAP system? ( Note: I tried finding documentation around the technical user concept in BTP, but could not find any )

Thanks & Regards

Srinivas Rao.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

dvankempen
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert

Hi Srinivas,

The technical user is required when creating a Destination. As documented

The destination service is a service provided by SAP Connectivity service. Using the destination service, you can retrieve and store technical information about the target resource (destination) that you want to connect with your application to a remote service or a system.

The destination service allows you to read and manage the address of a remote service and the user authentication information for the connection on subaccount and service instance level.

For destinations that require basic authentication, a technical user should be used

Technical here means that the user should only be used for this purpose, not for interactive login on the platform. Otherwise, this user is the same as any other user created in the identity store (SAP Cloud Identity, Azure AD, etc.)

Answers your question?

Srinivas-Rao
Contributor

Hi denys.kempen - Thanks for the response and the content.

We will mostly be using default IdP or IAS tenant. If I have to configure a user there, and using default IdP as the authentication mechanism, then it would mean that I have a S-user created and the credentials are not be shared with anyone to avoid interactive login.

With IAS tenant -- I create a user, attach it to a email address, generate the password and being admin not share it with anyone.

That's how I will make the user as technical users. Is this understanding correct?

Thanks & Regards

Srinivas Rao.

Srinivas-Rao
Contributor

Hi denys.kempen - Could you please confirm the above understanding?

Thanks & Regards

Srinivas Rao.

dvankempen
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Srinivas,

Correct, you would create a user in SAP Cloud Identity (Identity Authentication) service (IAS).

Suggest using a password management tool for this type of accounts

There is no requirement for this user account to an (SAP Support) S-user (not related)

Answers your question?

pieterjanssens
Active Participant
0 Kudos