Technology Blogs by SAP
Learn how to extend and personalize SAP applications. Follow the SAP technology blog for insights into SAP BTP, ABAP, SAP Analytics Cloud, SAP HANA, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
michael_jung2
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
Please also see my 2nd Blog about SAC und DSP: SAP Community

Introduction

The dashboard at hand is supposed to provide insights into the new Lumira 2.x features: The new composites, the integration of offline data and the adaptive containers are most important to note. Hence, this demo aims at showing how these features work in combination. Moreover, it serves as an inspiration and can be regarded as a template. Data used in dashboard is dummy data only. Visualizations have been chosen randomly to show a variety of chart types (e.g. radar, tag cloud, doughnut). The chosen type may therefore not match the type actually recommended for use for a specific KPI. Feel free to visit this blog regularly to stay up-to-date with the new Lumira innovations. The lumx-file can be downloaded at the end of the page.

Video (without audio):

Features:

• Offline-data imported via Lumira Discovery

• KPI-tiles as custom components

• Fiori 2.0 Look & Feel

• Details for all KPIs

• Built-in search functionality for KPIs

• Freely configurable Home-Page

• KPI-specific reports incl. map

Update 08.01.2018 (Lumira 2.1):

• The application has been translated into English (all screenshots in this blog have been replaced)

• Dynamic creation of tiles for Home-Page

• Comments

• Comments application-based (copied from 2.1 Feature Samples) - first icon top right

• Comments on Crosstabs (copied from 2.1 Feature Samples) - open context menu for crosstab

• Comments on Members for tab "Description" in details

• New Scroll-Container

Update 12.01.2018 (Lumira 2.1):

• Redesign of "Extended Evaluation"

• Data Labels in Tiles

• Crosstabs in Tiles

Update 05.07.2018 (Lumira 2.1):

• New App based on Belize Theme (default app)

• New help-function, which can be activated by clicking the help-icon top right

Update 16.10.2018 (Lumira 2.2):

• New area "Sales"

• New feature for tiles: switch dimension for charts

• New table configurator. Just bind the composite to a crosstab.

• Composite in Composite

• Search for dimensions

• Sort dimensions

• Show/hide dimensions

If you like this blog, please click on the like-button.

Custom Components for Tiles

The tile composite can be used either with or without chart area. It has the following features / properties:

• Display of KPI name

• Display of values, optionally with color code

• Unit of KPI

• Trend icon and value

• Link to KPI details

All relevant elements are binded to the composite properties, so no script is needed here. There is only some script in the formatter functions and for the central function setValues to set the composite properties from outside the composite.

I added the option to show a crosstab instead of chart and data labels for charts:

Adaptive Container

Each page of the TabStrip makes use  of an adaptive container. In this demo, the adaptive container was configured in a way that it matches tablets, desktops and large desktop screens. There is also a fourth viewport used for smartphones, but it seems that smartphones does not support composites.

It is important to note, that due to the architecture of the adaptive container, tiles with charts should always be displayed at the beginning of a block in order to enable an optimal design. The different block size decides whether the lower part of the tile (the chart) is displayed or not.

In the 2.0 version I allowed to scroll the page of tab-strip via css. In Lumira 2.1 there is a new component called scroll-container. So every adaptive container is embedded in a scroll container.

Usage of Tiles

Tiles are initialized with the following command:
GS_TILES.calcTile(„1000“, KPI_TILE)

The value “1000” corresponds to the internal ID of the KPI. "KPI_TILE" is the technical name of the tile composite.

The values are read from a central DataSource and transferred to each tile via script. The tile itself does not have a data connection, it rather obtains its data using the consuming app and the respective DataSource. If you use a DataSource in a tile, the DataSource is loaded per instance of tile. Therefore, I would not recommend to use DataSources in Composites if you want to use the same composite more than once per Application.

In order to display chart data in the tile, the function setChartConfig is invoked within the tile. In this step, the type of the chart and the DataSources from the app are transferred to the tile (Update 12.01.2018: data labels can now also be configured).

The original solution was based on BW and the usage of attributes (KPI as main info object). To simulate attributes i decided to store all masterdata concatenated in one field separated by a "|".

In the onstartup-Event the function "splitMasterdata" is called. In this function the masterdata is read from the DataSource and splitted among the different arrays.

The following illustration exemplary shows how master data is used:

• column A: key of kpi

• column B: description

• column C: area (used for search-function to find tab)

• column 😧 category (not used)

• column E: sub-category (not used)

• column F: unit for kpi

• column G: delta-unit for kpi

• column H: color of the arrow when the value increases compared to the previous period

• column I: number of decimal places for kpi

• column J: scaling factor

• column K-end: ranges for conditional format of kpi

Details

For each KPI, one can jump to a detail screen. This detail screen consists of the following areas: monthly progress, description and further evaluation of the KPI (if available).

The monthly progress shows the actuals, average and plan values. The description displays a long text for the KPI. The comment field on this page does not have a function. In the original BW-based solution, the text was written back to the BW using a specific planning function type from the BW-IP.

The detailed evaluation is always displayed in the same way. This area surely requires revision. However, it does show how KPI-specific evaluations can be integrated in a dashboard of this kind.

As Lumira 2.0 also provides an enhancement of the map component, a map illustration on the level of buildings was implemented for the KPI “Ø Enegy Costs per Building”:

The map can be found on third tab. Switch to the chart, activate navigation and choose in the chart type picker the map. From technical point of view the chart is set to invisible and the map-component gets visible. Sure, the third tab needs a little bit of rework.

I added a commentary solution to the tab "Description". It is based on the new comment-function in Lumira 2.1 and the corresponding component "feed list".

The comments are bound to kpi-members and public.
var text = COMMENTS_TEXT.getValue();
COMMENTS_TEXT.setValue("");
APPLICATION.createInfoMessage(gv_selected_kpi);

var commentId = COMMENTS.create(text,{
"context": {"(MEASURES_DIMENSION)":"DS:60,MEAS:id_169","DS:60,DIM:id_151":gv_selected_kpi} ,
"contextType": CommentContextType.MEMBER,
"dataSource": DS_TRANSACTIONAL_DATA,
"isPublic": true
});

COMMENTS_FEEDLIST_GLOBAL.addItem(COMMENTS.getComment(commentId),true);

The "extended evaluation" has been completely redesigned. Some features have been copied from the Generic-Anaylsis-Template.

KPI-Search

In the demo data, several KPIs distributed along the four tabs were already illustrated. If  the end user searches for a specific KPI and does not want to click through all of the tabs, he or she can use the search function to directly navigate the desired KPI. The search can alternatively be invoked using CTRL+F.

This is just a very simple search solution based on Stringsearch.

Home

Each user can select and save his favorite KPIs with the Dashboard start page.

Up  to nine tiles can be stored. Tiles can also be deleted using the ‘delete’-symbol. The ordering is displayed in accordance to the time stamp of recording. Here, the new bookmarks from Lumira 2.0 are used. In the background, solely the IDs (1000,1001, etc.) of the selected tiles are saved and the tiles are rebuild with every start.

With Lumira 2.1 it is possible to create components during runtime, composites included. So it is a nice feature to reimplement my home-tab.

I only created an empty adaptive container at design time, the tiles and the plus-sign are created during runtime. Because each tile consists of a block and a custom component we must create in the first step a block and in step 2 the custom component in the previous created block:
block = COMPONENTS.createComponent(ComponentType.Block,ADAPTIVE_LAYOUT_HOME);
// copy properties from an empty block, otherwise the content of block is copied too
COMPONENTS.copyProperties(BLOCK_HOME_EMPTY_TEMPLATE, block);
tile = COMPONENTS.createComponent(ComponentType.LUM_9BB26EB2E9EFB499D479C4E19E5C7AB5_KPI_TILE, block);
// we need the standard script for onClickNewTile... there is no api so we copy from existing newTile
COMPONENTS.copyProperties(KPI_TILE_HOME_TEMPLATE, tile);

Because there is no API to config the block via Script I copied the settings from a blank block (BLOCK_HOME_EMPTY_TEMPLATE) which was configured in design time. Same for my tile component because after dynamic creation the script for my interface function "openPopup" is empty. The function copyProperties also copies this type of properties.

With the new feature of dynamic creation of components and this new approch there is no limit for tiles on the home-page.

Misc

Download

Please do not rename the lumx-file to avoid script errors during lumira 2.x runtime. Just copy it to your lumira documents folder.

LUMX-File

If you want to upload the lumx-file to your BIP, please keep in mind to change the following:

GS_TILES->calcTile looks like:
I_TILE.as(ComponentType.LUM_C88EE0E557C0A60833590B6DAD6626FA_KPI_TILE).setValues(Convert.floatToStringUsingLocale(actual_value.value / scaling_factor,number_decimal_places), description, unit, delta, deltaValue , time, I_KPI, valueCondFormat, details, deltacolor,xxl_text);

"LUM_C88EE0E557C0A60833590B6DAD6626FA_KPI_TILE" is generated by Lumira Designer so you have to change it. Please use content assistant to find the right one (should be begin with LUM*).

Same in GS_TILES-> calcAllTiles. Replace all occurrences of "LUM_C88EE0E557C0A60833590B6DAD6626FA_KPI_TILE" with your new Tile-ID.

There are a few more places where the ID schould be replaced:

• GS_SEARCH--> select

• ICON_HOME_TILE_1_DELETE - ICON_HOME_TILE_9_DELETE -> onClick

• TIMER_SEARCH -> onTime

In 2.0 SP2 PL1 it looks like there is an issue with composites as type in input paramaters of functions so I decided to use generic type "component" and cast it to the right type via "as".

I added a new file to the share for Lumira 2.1. In same folder there is also the "old" 2.0 version if you are running 2.0 (but sure, without new features).

Update 16.10.2018 (Lumira 2.2):

I did not change the name of the file for 2.2.
151 Comments
former_member385171
Participant
0 Kudos
Hi Michael,

Thanks a lot.

It is working now.

Regards,

SK
michael_jung2
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos
Hi Ibrahim,

orientation is not locked.

Br,
Michael
write2ib
Participant
0 Kudos
Hi Michael

When i tried in Ipad,  dashboard changes orientation to landscape. Wondering how to implement this?

Thanks

Ibrahim N.
michael_jung2
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos
Hi,

this is how the adaptive container works.

Br,
Michael
write2ib
Participant
0 Kudos
Hi Michael

Thanks, got it

former_member197738
Participant
0 Kudos
Thanks a bunch Michael
kullmann
0 Kudos
Hi Michael,

many thanks for the elaborated example what can be achieved with Lumira Designer.

In the youtube video you show animated charts (evolving along the timeline for 1 second etc.) but I only get static charts.

What do I need to do to make it work that way?

Regards,

Frank
rick_kruyf3
Explorer
0 Kudos

Very impressive and a cohesive example of the main benefits of Lumira Designer over Design Studio
zeiserpa
Participant
0 Kudos
michael.jung2

Will there be a demo with the new features of Lumira 2.2 (Authring in special)?
0 Kudos
Hello Michael,

Your demo has been very helpful to us. Looking forward to new ideas/features from Lumira 2.2.

Thanks,

Maulin
piet_friet
Discoverer
0 Kudos
Hi Michael,

Great presentation!

Could you please re-open share download for the lumx file as it seems no longer available !

Regards,

Piet
Former Member
0 Kudos
Hi Michael,

Nice work!!Can you please re-share the file as it seems the link has expired?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Andreas.
michael_jung2
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos
done.
ardacel
Discoverer
0 Kudos
Hi Michael,

Great content! Would it be possible to share demo lumx file again? Access to SharePoint site is not available.

Best,

Arda
former_member514519
Discoverer
0 Kudos
Hi Michael,

Great content!  Can you kindly share demo lumx file again?

Not able to access to SharePoint site

Best,

Sam
michael_jung2
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos
Try again...

former_member514519
Discoverer
0 Kudos
Hi Michael,

Still not able to access the share point.

can you share some other download link.

sam
0 Kudos

Hi Michael,

thanks for providing this great work.

Unfortunately the download does not work for me as well.

Cheers,

Markus
Former Member
0 Kudos
Hi Michael,

Thanks for sharing your great experience!

Could you send the demo lumx file to me, please?

Best,

Bin
michael_jung2
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos
shoud work now. Sorry for delay.
dharmaatluri
Explorer
0 Kudos
Hello Michael,

Downloaded the file and placed it for LUMIRA Designer 2.2 and am getting errors when trying to import the file and then in the local execution mode getting errors stating "The number of arguments in method setChartConfig does not match the signature".
michael_jung2
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos
did you change the name of the document?
josheuesden
Explorer
0 Kudos
Hi Michael

Great document and explanation of the component feature!

We are implementing something similar to your dashboard but are having some performance problems (run time of circa 1 minute).  We have a BW on HANA system.

We have 1 composite which is used multiple times to display different values at different navigational states; the composite itself does not have a datasource assigned.

I believe our issue is that as we show a numeric value in the tile from 1 datasource and then a chart showing the same measure but with a dimension in the drilldown, for example fiscal period.  In order to achieve that we have had to use an extra datasource from the same query.

Have you come across performance problems with your dashboard? Any thoughts on how we can reduce the number of datasources yet keep the information displayed the same with no performance issues?
dharmaatluri
Explorer
0 Kudos
Hello Michael,

No haven't changed the file name and downloaded it as is into the LUMIRA Documents folder.

Thanks

Dharma

alexdc12
Participant
0 Kudos
This is brilliant! Excellent effort!

How is the global variable of ga_kpi_key filled? this is used to fll the dropdown for selecting a new tile for the homepage, i just wanted to find out how it knew what tiles were available to be used?
michael_jung2
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos
Please start the new belize application (marked as standard app). The second one in the list.

rick_kruyf3
Explorer
0 Kudos
I am trying to publish the sample using Lumira Designer 2.2 patch 2.  The file can be run in designer and it works with no script errors.  When the document is published, there are script errors when viewed and when the file is downloaded there are a number of script errors.
former_member597404
Discoverer
After upgrading to Lumira 2.2, we get suddenly error on global variable method as below: Did anybody face this? This works very fine in 2.1 Lumira Designer version.

Description Location Event Script Component Application Type
There is a potential endless loop in path "GLOBAL_SCRIPTS.openDetailView > g_pagebook.onSelect" Line 3 openDetailView GLOBAL_SCRIPTS [Lumira Documents] KPI_TILE_V2 BIAL Script Problem
michael_jung2
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos
Try the updated lumx-file from this blog. Should be fixed via workaround in my dashboard.

former_member597404
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Hi Michael,

Pagebook is not used in your lumx file.

Pagebook onselect -Global script function for composite is not working in our lumira document

It is only working for the component.

michael_jung2
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos
Pagebook? I did not used a pagebook whether in application or component.

former_member601117
Discoverer
0 Kudos
Hello Micheal,

This is a great document. Thank you for sharing. The download link is expired. Can you renew it?

Thank you
0 Kudos
It seems that the download link is expired
naveen_kumar29091984
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Michael,

Could you please explain how the chart visualization changes for different dimension ,I am getting blank cell for drop down component

Regards,

NK

burns_sh
Explorer
0 Kudos
Hi Michael,

Could you share again the Lumx file? It seem to be expired.

Thanks,

Shane
0 Kudos
Hello,

Is there any option for Power Point export for all the tiles ?

naveen_kumar29091984
Participant
0 Kudos
In HR tile

is there any sorting applied for

No of Entries
Potential Separations
Sickness Rate etc....

Is it coming randomly or any possibilities of sorting for each HR KPI tiles

Regards

NK
0 Kudos

Hi Michael,

your Dashboard is great, we downloaded the Document and would love to use it as a template. However I have problems to replace the offline data by online data. Somehow I can't customize the template. For some help I would be grateful.

Regards Rainer
0 Kudos
Very interesting.

Thank you!

Dimitris
snaik0119
Participant
0 Kudos
Hi Michael,

Could you share again the Lumx file? It seem to be expired.

Thank you!

Shailaja
snaik0119
Participant
Hi Michael,

Our Lumira version is 2.1. Do you have older version of this dashboard please.

Thank you!

Shailaja

0 Kudos

Hi Michael,

We aim to use Lumira Designer software, which is never used before (only for some small testing purposes), for corporate dash-boarding/high level KPI reporting. Your blog and the LUMX demo download is really great and gives lots of insights what the product is capable of. Very impressive! Thanks for sharing this all! Actually the dashboard looks that fine that we could use it as dashboard with a few adjustments.

My JavaScript/Lumira Designer skills are not yet up to standard (a rookie…). I hope you, or someone with the knowledge, could help me out with a ‘problem’ I’m facing. I want to assign source data row results to global variables (i.e.: gv_year_current). I searched a lot to find a solution but didn’t found what I’m looking for. Also purchased the SAP Lumira Designer Edition book (SAP PRESS). No answers yet…

So what I’m trying to achieve is to dynamically set the global variables for current year/current week etc. based on an Universe UNX data source. In your demo file the gv_current_year is set with a static default string value (“2011”). I want to determine/set the global variables based on the UNX source result within the ‘OnStartup’ script if possible…

The query- & results for year looks like this.

SELECT
Convert(varchar(4), Dwh.ZZZ_DATE_DIM.BOOKYEAR_NUM)
FROM
Dwh.ZZZ_DATE_DIM
WHERE
Dwh.ZZZ_DATE_DIM.WEEKS_AGO = -1

The DB field type is INTEGER for Dwh.ZZZ_DATE_DIM.BOOKYEAR_NUM. I’m doing the convert in the statement to retrieve a string type format.

In the GS_EVENTS / onStartup script event I tried numerous things to set the value but no satisfying results yet. Below some things I tried a long the way….

// get current year
var year_current = DS_YWM.getMembers(“_WC3r4XDKEemAWchIGHC3Kg”, 1);
gv_year_current = year_current;

// get current year (from crosstab)
gv_year_current = CT_YEAR.getSelectedMember(“_WC3r4XDKEemAWchIGHC3Kg”).text;

Also tried the code/principle in this blog https://blogs.sap.com/2016/08/18/maximum-of-a-dimension-values-dates/

Hope you or someone else could help me on this.

Thanks in advance!

Regards, Marco

former_member201696
Participant
0 Kudos
Hi,

I have the same issue.

If I import the document with name Lumix 2.1, I get the error that my installed Lumira Version ist du old. But I have limits 2.1 SP2.

Can you please upload a Lumix File how is working with lumira 2.1.

Thanks a lot

Br

Gabriel
former_member201696
Participant
0 Kudos
Hi michael.jung2 ,

I have the same issue.

If I import the document with name Lumix 2.1, I get the error that my installed Lumira Version ist du old. But I have limits 2.1 SP2.

Can you please upload a Lumix File how is working with lumira 2.1.

Thanks a lot

BR

Gabriel
former_member623438
Discoverer
0 Kudos
Just wow! great application. Unfortunately, I'm new to Lumira designer (shifted from Power BI, as my current employer has purchased SAP products) and it's very hard to navigate in the application itself. is it possible to make a lumx template or make it easier to assign datasources to the tiles ?
0 Kudos
Hi Michael,
Thank you for this informative blog. I developed custom composites. I have a situation, you may have some opinion about this one.

Firstly my Lumira document is on BI Platform, with Offline datasources. (To be able to schedule)
As I mentioned, created custom composites as a template. Then I used COMPONENTS.createComponent /Copy properties etc. etc. scripts for that custom composites.
Document works perfectly, no script problems or logic problems exists.

Now, I'm scheduling my lumira designer document on BI Platform. Schedule succeed, but when I check on BI Platform scripts doesn't work properly. I see default values.(Feels like internal ID has changed)

So this situation brings a question. Does scheduling affect internal ID/document’s CUID? (Since its uploaded to BI Platform)
furqanbaig_mirza
Participant
0 Kudos
Hi Michael Jung,

Firstly, i like to thank you for sharing all this information in detail, it helped alot. Secondly, i have a similar requirement for which i was trying to download your Lumx file but the link is not working, can you please re-share.

thanks

Furqan
furqanbaig_mirza
Participant
0 Kudos
Hi, is it possible to share the downloaded version of Michael as the link is not working.
furqanbaig_mirza
Participant
0 Kudos
Hi Sebastian,

Do you have the LUMX File, can you please reshare that.

thanks

Furqan
0 Kudos
Hi, Great info!

Not sure if the download is being shared directly but I am also interested in a copy.

Please get in touch!