Technology Blogs by SAP
Learn how to extend and personalize SAP applications. Follow the SAP technology blog for insights into SAP BTP, ABAP, SAP Analytics Cloud, SAP HANA, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Matthew_Shaw
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
Updating the SAP BusinessObjects BI Platform might well appear to be complex, however, there’s a few simple rules that you need to follow to ensure success.

1. Update Server software before Client software

All server software must be applied before client software. This is particularly important when both server and client software is on the same machine. As soon as you update the client software, without first updating the server software, your server software will stop working!

If you have the client software installed on the server, then you must update both. You' can't just update the server without then updating the client. Watch out for the next rule too!

2. Update software to same Support Pack level before updating to same Patch Level

Before applying any Patch, you must ensure that both your Server and Client software is on the same Support Pack level. This applies to all servers within a cluster, i.e all servers must be on the same Support Pack level before the patch is applied to any one server. If you don’t you’ll have a corrupted installation.

3. Update any Server add-on typically after updating the BI Platform Server software

Apply any BI Platform Server add-on either before or after

• the client software.

• the Patch for the BI Platform Server Support Pack.

But I strongly advise doing it AFTER you’ve updated the BI Platform Server Support Pack to avoid incompatibility issues.

The Add-on Support Pack and Patch software are bundled into the same installer package. This means you can update directly to the required Support Pack and Patch level in one go, without the need to apply the Support Pack first, then the Patch.

Not all versions of all add-ons are compatible with all versions of the BI Platform. However, if you update to the latest BI Platform Server Support Pack level and the latest BI Platform Server add-on level, then you’ll typically be just fine. It’s always advisable to double-check this point by looking at the Product Availability Matrix for the Product in question. You’ll find a page that lists which Add-on versions are compatible with which BI Platform Versions.

Lets expand this subject a little. Lets say you're on an old version of the product, BI 4.1 Support Pack 5 and you're using some add-on which is equally quite old. Lets say that's the Lumira add-on version 1.27. This combination (BI 4.1 SP5 and Lumira add-on 1.27 is supported as per the PAM). Lets say you want to update to a more recent version of the BI Platform, lets says that's BI 4.2 Support Pack 3. But the Lumira add-on (1.27) isn't supported on BI 4.2 SP3, so does this mean you need to go 'via' some Support Pack first or go 'via' some add-on? No is the answer. You apply the Support Pack first (BI 4.2 SP3), THEN apply the add-on update (1.31 being the latest). At the intermediate stage you'll have BI 4.2 SP3 installed with an old (unsupported) version of the add-on (1.27), but this is ok since you're not going to be using the software, you'll going to update it almost immediately.

However, there’s a complication with BI 4.2 Support Pack 4. Some aspects of these complications, or gotchas will only last until then of July 2017 (once a new set of add-ons are released) and that’s explained next.

Finally, the last complication is related to when you have

• installed a 'fresh' BI Platform server with a new (empty) repository

• AND you have or wish to install Lumira 2 BI Platform Server add-on

• AND you wish to use Promotion Management to promote Design Studio 1.x or Lumira 1.x 'objects'

If this is the case, then you'll need to install the Design Studio 1.x or Lumira 1.x BI Platform Server add-on(s) BEFORE installing the latest Lumira 2 add-on. This blog as more.

4. BI 4.2 Support Pack 4 special rules for some add-ons

Because we’ve improved our software, we have twogotchas’ regarding BI 4.2 Support Pack 4 when in comes to updating.

Gotcha 1: install technology change

The installer program in the existing add-ons (that where released prior to BI 4.2 SP4) can’t be used with BI 4.2 SP4 or later. So, you either need to update your add-on before applying BI 4.2 SP4, or wait until the next release of your add-on. The KBA 2467541 provides the official status.

This gotcha is limited in time to the next release of these add-ons. This isn't a general rule that will last very long.

A bit more about that: If you're updating your Platform to the latest version, currently BI 4.2 SP4, you'll almost certainly going to update your add-ons to the latest version too. You'll going to apply the Support Pack first, then the add-on. Once all the latest versions of the add-ons (that are supported with BI 4.2 SP4) are available this issue goes away. Until then, we have a 'gotcha'.

You may recall my advice just earlier about applying the Add-on AFTER applying the Support Pack. Well this is a case when you must apply the Add-on before the Support Pack. But before you do, please double-check with the Product Availability Matrix that your ‘new’ add-on is supported with your ‘old’ Support Pack. If it’s not compatible, you’ll need to update to BI Platform Server Support Pack level before you apply your ‘new’ add-on version.

Gotcha 2: crypto libraries enhanced

With BI 4.2 Support Pack 4 the 'crypto' libraries where enhanced. The effect of this is captured in SAP Note 2433337 and SAP Note 2475569 and also a blog.

What does this mean from an 'update' perspective?

If you have either:

• An old Lumira 1.x client and/or the Lumira 1.x server add-on

• or, an old Design Studio 1.x client and/or Design Studio 1.x server add-on

Then these 'add-ons' and clients simply won't work with BI 4.2 Support Pack 4. (Technically the add-on will work, but you won't be able to use the respective client to go with it since the communication between that client and the server is broken as per SAP Note 2475569)

This part of gotcha 2 is also limited in time, since you'll probably update you server add-ons to the latest release (the ones that won't have this issue).

This gotcha has many other implications that are described in Note and Blog mentioned earlier. But let me summarise:

• All SSL / SAML certificates need to be re-generated

• Communication over SSL using Upgrade Management Tool or Promotion Management is problematic when one system is 'less than' BI 4.2 Support Pack 4 and other is 'greater than or equal' to BI 4.2 Support Pack 4.

• Any client 'less than' BI 4.2 Support Pack 4 connecting to a server 'greater than or equal' to BI 4.2 Support Pack 4 will not work. This isn't supported, but many organisations update the server first (rule 1 above) and the later update the clients. So for a short period of time, the clients are one (or two) Support Pack versions lower than the server. Whilst not supported, with BI 4.2 SP4 this really won't work meaning all server and all clients must be updated to the same version in one go. No gradual update for clients. (Possible workaround to this restriction). Once you're on BI 4.2 SP4 then future updates, to say BI 4.2 SP5, it should work again, but unsupported as usual!

Gotcha 1 + 2

The two gotchas together can be more confusing, so I've built this diagram to show various workflows of what is supported and what is not and how you navigate your way around.

I've tried my best to make it as clear as I can, but please take your time to digest the diagram and the various workflows.

Incompatible add-ons with BI 4.2 SP4 include: (these add-ons won't work with BI 4.2 SP4 or later)

• Design Studio 1.5.x (or earlier)

• Analysis for Office 2.3.x (or earlier)

Existing add-ons are: (these aren't incompatible with BI 4.2 SP4, they just can't be added once BI 4.2 SP4 has been installed) Diagram Workflow I

• Analysis Office 2.4 Support Pack 2 or less

• Analysis Office 2.4 Support Pack 3 Patch 0 or less [updated 23/June/2017]

• Analysis Office 2.5 Support Pack 0 Patch 0 [updated 23/June/2017]

Existing add-ons are: (these are incompatible with BI 4.2 SP4 and they can't be added once BI 4.2 SP4 has been installed ) Diagram Workflow I and Workflow K

• Design Studio 1.6 Support Pack 4 (any patch) or less (this won't work. You MUST update both Add-on and client to at least: DS1.6 SP5 Patch 1, BI 4.2 SP4 Patch 1) [updated 10/July/2017]

• Design Studio 1.6 Support Pack 5 Patch 0. (this won't work. You MUST update both Add-on and client to at least: DS1.6 SP5 Patch 1, BI 4.2 SP4 Patch 1)  [updated 10/July/2017]

• Lumira 1.31.5 or less (this won't work with any Lumira 1.31.5 or less client. You MUST update both Add-on and client to Lumira 1.31.6 - which is now available)

• Lumira 2.0 EAC SP0 and SP1 and Lumira 2.0 SP2 (The Open Beta release - NOT the GA release). These releases are NOT supported with BI 4.2 SP4. Updating to Lumira 2.0 SP2 (GA) from these version has known issues, please KBA 2521113.Lumira 2.0 SP2 (GA) is NOT an existing add-on. It's a new add-on. Please see next section.

‘New’ add-ons are: (these can be applied to BI 4.2 SP4 or later, but they can also be applied prior to BI 4.2 SP4 - check the PAM for each product) Diagram Workflow J

• Analysis Office 2.4 Support Pack 3 Patch 1 or greater [updated 23/June/2017]

• Analysis Office 2.5 Support Pack 0 Patch 1 or greater [updated 23/June/2017]

• Design Studio 1.6 Support Pack 5 Patch 1 or greater (requires BI 4.2 SP4 Patch 1 as a minimum). (available now) [This info updated 10/July/2017]

• Lumira 1.31.6 or greater - compatible with these BI Platform version and greater: BI 4.1 SP6 and BI 4.2 SP2.

• Lumira 1.31.6 has known issues and workarounds with its installation. Please see KBA 2485508

• Lumira 2.0 SP2 (the Generally Available release) or greater - compatible with these BI Platform versions and greater: BI4.1 SP8 Patch 9, BI 4.1 SP9 Patch 4, BI 4.2 SP2 Patch 11, BI 4.2 SP3 Patch 7 and BI 4.2 SP4 Patch 1.

• If you need to promote old Design Studio 1.x content into a new cluster of Lumira 2 then you must install any Design Studio 1.x add-on to any machine in the new cluster. More details in this blog

It might seem a little odd, but these 'new' add-ons work with BI 4.2 SP4 and also with the old Support Packs too (well as long as the Product Availability Matrix for the product says so). Diagram Workflow L.

Add-ons not affected by Gotcha 1 : (because the installer isn't as tightly integrated)

• Explorer

• IOMS (Integration Option for Microsoft SharePoint)

The installer for these Add-ons isn't affected by the change of the installer in BI 4.2 SP4 because the installer isn't tightly integrated into the Platform. So the old installers, for these Add-ons, work with everything BI 4.2 SP4 beyond and everything before too! Gotcha 2 still applies.

Live Office

Live Office isn't a BI Platform add-on and so isn't affected by Gotcha 1, Gotcha 2 still applies.

Lumira 2.0 Beta and EAC

The Early Adopter Care (EAC) provides selected customers with Lumira 2.0 SP0 and Lumira 2.0 SP1. If you have previously installed Lumira 2.0 SP1 there are known issues for updating to either Lumira 2.0 SP2 or BI 4.2 SP4. Please KBA 2521113.

The Open Beta program, for Lumira, provides selected customers with Lumira 2.0 SP2 Beta (not the GA release)

The Generally Available version of Lumira 2.0 is Lumira 2.0 SP2 (GA).

The Lumira 2.0 SP0, SP1 and Lumira 2.0 SP2 Beta are NOT supported with BI 4.2 Support Pack 4. So you should not try to use BI 4.2 Support Pack 4 with anything before Lumira 2.0 SP2 (GA) . It will NOT work.

Technically, you could install Lumira 2.0 Beta/EAC Add-on before applying BI 4.2 Support Pack 4, but once you update to BI 4.2 SP4 your Lumira 2.0 Beta/EAC will not be supported and the Lumira Desktop will NOT be able to connect to the BI Platform (for example, to login to browse documents or use a Universe, or a managed connection of some type). When you try to login to the BI Platform you will receive an error message "Internal Error" or "Not connected" or "Connection Refused"

Somewhat confusingly, the open Beta may be referred to as Lumira 2.0 SP2 Beta and you might well think this is Lumira 2.0 SP2 Generally Available version. It isn't! The Lumira Open Beta/EAC can only be applied BEFORE BI 4.2 SP4 and NOT afterwards. However the Lumira 2.0 SP2 Generally Available version can be applied both before and after BI 4.2 SP4.

Other related articles

I hope this helps remove any confusion. Comments welcome of course. I'll do my best to reply.

If you do post a comment, please refer to the workflow by the appropriate letter A, B, C etc.

Matthew (Twitter: @MattShaw_on_BI)
46 Comments
former_member182521
Active Contributor
Thanks for sharing this Matt. Look like we may need to do a initial analysis from supportability perspective before upgrading.
franciscoalmeida
Explorer
Great information, thanks Matthew. Is there any predicted impact on Live Office, please?

Matthew_Shaw
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
I've just updated the blog to reference Live Office. Thanks for that. Live Office isn't an add-on and so isn't affected by this. Regards, Matthew (Twitter: @MattShaw_on_BI)

Vidhya
Active Participant
Thanks for sharing matt
cbethune
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Matt,

I’m trying to reconcile a couple of things here in this excellent breakdown of things.

I see the following earlier in the doc:

“Lumira 2.0 SP1 or less or Lumira 2.0 SP2 (The Open Beta release – NOT the GA release). This release is NOT supported with BI 4.2 SP4″

Then near the end, I see the following:

“The Lumira Open Beta can only be applied BEFORE BI 4.2 SP4 and NOT afterwards. However the Lumira 2.0 SP2 Generally Available version can be applied both before and after BI 4.2 SP4.”

Is the version currently available for download to EAC participants consider “open beta” or is it considered a version in which we can apply our updates to any add-ons (including Lumira 2.0) we have for BIP 4.2 SP SP03 and then proceed with SP04.

I ask because we are about to roll back the install of the Beta release of Lumira 2.0 we had installed prior to the EAC program opening up and then apply the currently available early release.  So we would be on something between an earlier beta version and the general release coming up in July.

We do have these questions out to the customer’s coach as well, but with Sapphire under way this week, I’m looking for answers wherever I can find them.  ?

PS - SP04 is kind of a big deal for them with the "fiorfied" Launchpad but their current projects need to proceed on their timeline.  Otherwise I'd be telling them to wait until the end of July when things will be in more parity.

Matthew_Shaw
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert

Hi Chris

I do understand this is confusing. Let me see if I can make a few things clearer.

• Only the GA release of Lumira 2.0 will be supported with BI 4.2 Support Pack 4.  This means any Beta, the open Beta, or the EAC participants will be using a version of Lumira 2.0 Beta that is not supported with BI 4.2 SP4 and it will NOT work.  Lumira Desktop will NOT be able to connect to the BI Platform.
  • Please try not to be confused, but its easily done:
    1. The KBA mentioned above refers to Lumira 2.0 SP2 as something that can be installed on top of BI 4.2 SP4.
    2. When you download the OpenBeta it says Lumira 2.0 Sp2 (Beta)

But the KBA reference to Lumira 2.0 SP2 is talking about the GA (Generally Available) release and NOT any Beta version of Lumira 2.0.

• It’s technically not possible to install Lumira 2.0 Beta (of any beta version, EAC or Open beta) once BI 4.2 SP4 is installed.
  • Technically speaking though, once you have installed the Lumira 2.0 Beta (of any beta version, EAC or Open beta) on BI 4.2 SP3 you COULD update to BI 4.2 Support Pack 4. However you’re then not supported. The Lumira Beta (of any beta version, EAC or Open beta) isn’t supported with BI 4.2 Support Pack 4.

If you are on the Open Beta for Lumira 2.0, then:

• you can not uninstall it, well you can, but it won’t be a complete uninstall.
  • you can not upgrade it to the GA release (technically not possible)
  • You really must use a ‘sandbox’ environment, one you can wipe clean/delete at the end of the 90 day evaluation period

If you are on the EAC Beta for Lumira 2.0, then

• you can update Lumira 2.0 SP0 to Lumira 2.0 SP1, but we recommend you uninstall Lumira 2.0 SP0 and do a full install of Lumira 2.0 SP1.
  • Once you are on Lumira 2.0 SP1 you can then update it to Lumira 2.0 SP2 (Generally Available) release, when its available, either before or after you update your BI Platform to BI 4.2 SP4.  (Matthew: Let me check this point ‘either before or after’. Certainly ‘after’ would be supported. Let me double-check this ‘before’ part)
  • When the Lumira 2.0 SP2 (Generally Available) release is available, you’ll then be able to update your BI Platform to BI 4.2 SP4 (as I just mentioned). You can also install a new server directly to BI 4.2 SP4 and install the Lumira 2.0 SP2 (Generally Available) version on top.

Lumira License Key

Lumira 2.0 SP2 (Generally Available) version will require a new license key, unlike the Lumira 2.0 Beta (of any beta version, EAC or Open beta) that can use an existing Lumira 1.x key.

(Now I think I’ve got all the above info correct – I might not, but its my best understanding. I’ll update the blog and this comment should my understanding change)

The intension of this blog post was to talk about the basic best practices for successful BI 4.x updates but also to explain this complication with BI 4.2 SP4. I can’t stress enough, this complication with BI 4.2 SP4 will completely disappear by end of July (and assuming you want to update to the latest add-on version(s)).

For those on Twitter I am @MattShaw_on_BI if you more questions!

Matthew_Shaw
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
I've just updated my blog to reflect that using BI 4.2 SP4 and any Beta Version of Lumira 2.0 will not work.

Lumira Desktop will NOT be able to connect to the BI Platform (for example, to login to browse documents or use a Universe, or a managed connection of some type). When you try to login to the BI Platform you will receive an error message “Internal Error” or “Not connected” or “Connection Refused”

Please do not use, or try to use, Lumira 2.0 beta with BI 4.2 SP4. It will not work.
cbethune
Participant

Thanks for the quick response Matt and very much appreciated.

We’re looking at a bigger picture and what you have shared makes perfect sense.

The one other factor we are wondering about is that if we applied SP4 on top of Lumira 2.0 Server for BIP that we will still be ok with the non-Lumira aspects of BI Platform.

We completely understand that the Lumira part of things would be in an unsupported state until SP02 is applied and could live with that for now on the environment on question.  We’re just doing our due diligence to make sure we wouldn’t be putting non-Lumira parts of BI Platform at risk.

Also understood RE: Lumira 2.0 SP01; we are removing the early Beta and moving to this regardless of what we may or may not do relative to 4.2 SP04.

franciscoalmeida
Explorer
Hi Matthew,
Once again, thank you for all the information you are providing. Some of us are hoping to get even more details about this if possible, especifically for Architectural decisions with medium-term impact for BI Platform and Dashboard capability.
Assume one follows Workflow K in your diagrams, and installs Design Studio Add On 1.6 ("existing add-on"), then ugprades to BI4.2SP4.
a. can this same system be directly upgraded to Lumira 2.0 (or does it require uninstalling Design Studio 1.6, then installing Lumira 2.0). What would be the supported approach?
b. are there plans for new SP/FP releases for Design Studio Add-on for BI (I understand this may be someone else's area, but it is so relevant for Businesses making decisions regarding dashboards that I needed to ask)? If so, I assume Workflow K means these new updates would not be compatible with BI4.2SP4+ (or would they follow the new installation technology?)?
dazsmithuk
Explorer
Hi Matt,

To avoid confusion, are you saying that at present there is no version of Lumira Server that works with SP4, whether installed before upgrade, after upgrade, or after a new installation?

Thanks, Darren

Matthew_Shaw
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
You've understood perfectly.

• Lumira 1.31.5 (and previous) and Lumira 2.x BETA works with BI 4.2 SP3 (and previous) - but check the PAMs

• Lumira 1.31.6 (due soon) and 2.0 SP2 (GA version due in ~July, not the BETA) will work with BI 4.2 SP4.

We're currently investigating a potential problem with Lumira 1.31.x with BI 4.2 SP4 - it seems there's a problem.

Regards, Matthew

Matthew_Shaw
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert

Question a: can this same system be directly upgraded to Lumira 2.0 (or does it require uninstalling Design Studio 1.6, then installing Lumira 2.0). What would be the supported approach?

Either. You can either uninstall Design Studio add-on * OR you can simply apply the Lumira 2.0 add-on. Once you’ve applied the Lumira 2.0 add-on the ‘old’ Design Studio BI Platform Server service (in the Adaptive Processing Server) is redundant and won’t be used. You can remove it from the Adaptive Processing Server within the Central Management Console. With Lumira 2.0 add-on there is only 1 service for processing Lumira documents (whether created in Lumira Discover or Lumira Designer). Before Lumira 2.0, you had two services, one for Lumira and one for Design Studio. With Lumira 2.0 there’s just one service. (which you can run multiple instances of, of course)

[update 12/June/2017 * ] we are not recommending an uninstallation of either Design Studio or Lumira. We are now only recommending updating to Lumira 2.

Question b: are there plans for new SP/FP releases for Design Studio Add-on for BI (I understand this may be someone else’s area, but it is so relevant for Businesses making decisions regarding dashboards that I needed to ask)? If so, I assume Workflow K means these new updates would not be compatible with BI4.2SP4+ (or would they follow the new installation technology?)?

With Lumira 2.0 there are no more ‘Design Studio’ add-ons, it is the one combined BI Platform Server service (in the Adaptive Processing Server) for ‘Lumira 2’ documents (whether created in Lumira Discover or Lumira Designer). Lumira Designer is the new product name for what was ‘Design Studio’, it is Design Studio, but a newer version and with a new name. It no longer creates Design Studio applications, it creates Lumira documents (but they are the same thing, well almost)

Both Lumira Discover and Lumira Designer create Lumira documents, both can be opened in either tool (but with restrictions depending upon the workflow).

Your question If so, I assume Workflow K means these new updates would not be compatible with BI4.2SP4+ (or would they follow the new installation technology?)? No. Design Studio 1.x add-ons will still be shipped and supported post BI 4.2 SP4, as will other add-ons. Please refer to workflows J and L.

Regards, Matthew

Matthew_Shaw
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos
Hi Chris

I've held back on replying because we've since identified a few issues with the 'old' Lumira desktop connecting to BI 4.2 SP4.  Turns out, that the Lumira 2.0 Beta has the same problem of not working on BI 4.2 SP4 and for the same reason as Lumira 1.x. More will be published soon on that. But basically you're right Chris. Once you apply Lumira 2.0 beta to BI 4.2 SP4 and then update to Lumira 2.0 GA you should be just fine.

But given that Lumira 2.0 Beta simply doesn't technically work with BI 4.2 SP4 (at least the desktop part won't login) there's really no point in either applying BI 4.2 SP4 'OR' Lumira 2.0 beta. It's one or the other for the time being.

Regards, Matthew

Matthew_Shaw
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
I wrote a blog for you to talk about this subject in more detail:

https://blogs.sap.com/2017/05/19/updating-sap-businessobjects-bi-platform-to-lumira-2.x/

I hope others will find it useful too.

Regards, Matthew
franciscoalmeida
Explorer
Thank you so much for the detailed information and for the new blog post. This is really helpful and encouraging. The fact that there is a direct upgrade path for Lumira 2.x from Design Studio Add-On 1.x, and the compatibility with SP4+ (we've noticed your warnings about certain limitations - hopefully temporary), really mean a clear straight forward path, which makes upgrades easier. Great work, Matthew.
Patrick_Perrier
Contributor
0 Kudos
Thanks for this Matt.

Since we met couple of weeks ago you know my position regarding this.  And this document has just reinforced it.

For me the best way to upgrade is side by side (not in place):

• no worries about old components

• less / no risks

• zero downtime

• test for as long as you want

• no left overs

People reading this who have done an inplace upgrade.  Did it go well? Would you recommend it?

Regards.

Former Member
0 Kudos
Hi Matthew

Once again a great post from you side! Much appreciated.

I've tried to install the 4.2 SP04 compatible versions of AO (2.4 SP03) and Design Studio (1.6 SP05) but I still receives and assertion error when running the installer ??

I've create tickets regarding the issue, just wanted to hear whether or not you have experienced the same behavior ?

(I've installed the add-ons on a greenfield BI 4.2 SP04 platform)

Br

Daniel

Matthew_Shaw
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos
Daniel

I've updated my blog reflecting that DS 1.6 SP5 and AO 2.4 SP3 and AO 2.5 SP0 can't be applied to BI 4.2 SP4 for the installer error. The installer simply won't run. I'll update my blog as soon as possible with more details. Regards, Matthew

Former Member
0 Kudos
Thanks Matthew 🙂

Vidhya
Active Participant
0 Kudos
Hi Matthew,

Once again a great post from you side! Much appreciated.

We are using BO 4.2 Support Pack 3 Patch 5.

We are facing some issue in IPAD for webi reports. Please feel free to see this issue,

https://answers.sap.com/questions/227630/when-we-open-webi-report-in-ipad-all-the-optional.html

Please advise us on this.

Regards,

Vidhya.C
Matthew_Shaw
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos
Hello Vidhya, I don't have anything to comment about that issue. Sorry I don't know everything! Regards, Matthew
r_poelstra
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Mathew,

Very interesting blog post, but I have some issues/strange things with one of your workflows. I had the following environment:

BI 4.2 SP1 + SP3 (no patch)
Lumira 1.31.3 (Desktop and Add-on)
Design Studio 1.6 SP4 (Desktop and Add-On)

I’ve then upgraded BI4.2 to SP4 (update package). I haven’t seen or read your blog before I updated to SP4.
Then I wanted to upgrade the Lumira version to 1.31.6 (because I’ve read that only this version would be compatible with BI4.2 SP4 and then saw your blog post)

Upgrading Lumira Desktop to 1.31.6 works without problems.
The update for Lumira BI Addon 1.31.6 doesn’t work because of the mentioned issues (Cms can not be found, INS00013 error). None of the possible solutions seem to work. I also can not uninstall the current version 1.13.3. The setup.exe is visible in the background but after a couple of minutes the setup quits with an error. So, I can’t change my lumira BI-addon setup (no uninstall and no upgrade possible).

Workflow J on your blog post suggests that my used upgrade scenario is supported… right?

I haven’t updated Design Studio because I have to wait for a patch that’s officially supported with BI4.2 SP4.

Now I have an environment where only the lumira BI-addon is not upgraded and Design Studio is not supported. But it seems everything is working. I can save a Design Studio Application to the BI Platform and Lumira documents can also be saved to the BI platform and can also be opened/refreshed in the BI Launchpad. How is this possible when you say these versions will not work with BI4.2 SP4? ?

It is a test environment and I can always go back to my initial setup but will it be possible to upgrade the lumira bi-addon with newer patches in the future (once INS00013 error is fixed) or can I can just delete this test-environment?

And I do understand if you don’t have all the answers to my questions ?

Matthew_Shaw
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos
Hello

The update for Lumira BI Addon 1.31.6 doesn’t work because of the mentioned issues (Cms can not be found, INS00013 error).

The update of the Lumira BI Platform Add-on version 1.31.6 is supported for BI 4.2 SP4. The error you mention suggests you have a problem with connecting to the CMS. This isn't an 'installer' setup.exe problem, (gotcha 1) as that issue is related to the actual running of the setup.exe program itself. Your setup program runs. It won't be a problem with the crypto libraries changing (gotcha 2) since you'd get a different error, not 'can not be found'.)

Workflow J on your blog post suggests that my used upgrade scenario is supported… right?

Right

But it seems everything is working. I can save a Design Studio Application to the BI Platform and Lumira documents can also be saved to the BI platform and can also be opened/refreshed in the BI Launchpad. How is this possible when you say these versions will not work with BI4.2 SP4?

Not all workflows in Design Studio and Lumira are broken when it comes to using an unsupported version. The problematic areas for Design Studio are consuming a managed connection (to any data source) and I'm unsure of the problematic areas for Lumira but I think they are related to Lumira Desktop connecting to the BI Platform for consuming a managed connection.

I'm guessing here, but I think your problem is somehow related to your (copied?) test environment, perhaps your clients (or the installer) aren't connecting to your (copied?) test environment, but the original cluster in some way. It clearly needs more investigation, but I'm not aware of anyone else with this issue, so it looks 'environmental'....I think you should investigate further and then log a support incident with my colleagues in Product Support.

Regards, Matthew

Former Member
0 Kudos
We patched from 4.2 SP02 to 4.2 SP04 on a Single-Node Windows deployment.

Package was –

• BIPLATS4204_0-80001044_P1.EXE            

• SBOP BI PLATFORM 4.2 SP04 SERVER WINDOWS– Update

The new CONNECTION for "BI on BI" was not added – and the sample BIAR is not in the install-directory..

C:\Program Files (x86)\SAP BusinessObjects\SAP BusinessObjects Enterprise XI 4.0\Samples

Is something “missing” from the Upgrade Package..?

Is there an alternate place that we can download the just the "BI on BI" samples and the connections..?
CdnConnection
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
Mark,

You can get the BI on BI contents from link below

https://wiki.scn.sap.com/wiki/display/BOBJ/Unlock+the+CMS+database+with+new+data+access+driver+for+B...

Ajay

0 Kudos
Thanks for the great blog, plus following questions...

Is there actually a GA date for Lumira 2.0?? In particular a version which would work with BI4.2 SP4?

PAM pages for Lumira show: Release to Customer (RTC): 13.04.2017

(but from memory that was when Open Beta commenced)

PAM itself shows: Supported BI platforms:

• BI 4.2 SP02

• BI 4.2 SP03

Thanking all!

raghavatscn
Explorer
Lumira 2.0 is GA starting 14th Aug. You can check  Download Link
hbehrndt
Explorer
0 Kudos
Excellent presentation. In the past it was good practice to remove any patch from the server before upgrading it. I do not see this in this excellent post.

We are currently on BO 4.1 SP6 patch 14. Would you recommend to uninstall patch 14 before running the upgrading to 4.2 SP4? It would free up disk space, but also cause extra work and risk of the server becoming crippled. We have no add-ons on the system.
Matthew_Shaw
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
Hello Henrik, Thank you for your feedback. I would strongly recommend NOT uninstalling a patch before doing the update unless we have specifically advised that is necessary. One example is with Lumira 2.0 SP1 Patch 1 (this is an early adopter care version) and this we recommended this was uninstalled before updating. But these are quite rare and in general isn't advised. Once you have updated to the latest version, then there's no harm uninstalling the 'intermediate' patches/support packs. There's a gotcha with BI 4.2 SP4, in that once you've updated to this version you can not uninstall previous intermediate patches/support packs.   If you see any advice from SAP that you mention that doesn't correspond to what I've mentioned, please let me know (direct message is fine) and we can take steps to ensure a consistent communication and remove any confusion. Regards, Matthew

cbethune
Participant
0 Kudos
Installed the GA LSBIP 2.0 SP02 version on top of BIP 4.2 SP04 PL02 and having an interesting issue.  The Lumira App acts like it's loading and eventually times out.  Same thing occurs when opening a Lumira 2.0 document.

I did find a SAP note indicating an outdated sapjco3 file in C:\Windows\System32.  This issue is not the cause in my case as it is up to date and is not present in C:\Windows\System32

https://launchpad.support.sap.com/#/notes/0002523814

I'll have to do a trace on Lumira Server and see what it shows but curious if anyone seeing this had encountered the same scenario.  I even did a clean install on a sandbox and same behavior.

Odds are I'm headed for a support ticket but thought I would post here and see what community input I get as well.

------------

FYI info and components installed:

Windows Server 2008 R2

Distrubuted Environment with all components installled on both nodes; then sized and scaled afterwards to have one primary node and one for primarily for Lumira Server 2.0 plus minimal use of Explorer.

Also did a single sandbox host with full build install of all components that exhibits same behavior

CMS on MS-SQL 2014

BIP 4.2 SP02 PL02

Explorer 4.2 SP04 PL02

Analysis for Office 2.5 SP01

Design Studio 1.6 SP05 PL02 present when updated; was not uninstalled as recommended; On the system where I did a fresh install and see same behavior, a full install of LSBIP 2.0 SP02 was done.

Lumira Server BIP 2.0 SP02 update package applied to LSBIP 1.31.5.  On the system where I did a fresh install and see same behavior, a full install of LSBIP 2.0 SP02 was done.

Also, not sure it's relevant but just in case, the Galigeo extension for Lumira 1.31.x was present prior to the update.

PS - whats up with the Lumira Server Properties XLF file in with the default properties files in the BOE webapps folder?  Just curious.

Former Member
0 Kudos
Hi Matthew,

We are planning to updated from 4.1 sp 5 patch 3 to 4.2 sp 3 patch 9. We need to increase the server capacity and would like to know the best path?

Do we have to install the new servers on 4.1 sp5 patch 3 and then upgrade them or do we install 4.2 on the servers and move the content? In case the path is to move the content which tool do we use?

Thanks in advanced

Kind regards

Brian
Matthew_Shaw
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos
Hi Brian,

Can I point you to https://blogs.sap.com/2013/11/05/doing-a-full-install-for-updating-from-bi40-to-bi41-think-again/ where this is discussed in depth ?

In short, I strongly recommend you update and NOT install a fresh repository and somehow migrate content out of the old into the new.

Rather, expand your existing cluster (with your new hardware using the same product version 4.1sp5p3), remove the nodes (you'll no longer use) and then update your cluster to your target version using the rules I mentioned in this blog. (you could also remove the nodes after you've done your update).

Regards, Matthew

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Matthew,

We are told that the installer in 4.1 is very different from 4.2 and that could cause some errors in the future if we wants to patch or update the system with that in mind they recommend a clean installation. Have you heard about that problem?

Kind regrads

Brian
Matthew_Shaw
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos
Hello Brian

I would not recommend a clean installation for that reason. We don't recommend it because there's no easy way to move content from one repository into another (new) one. Whilst you can use LCMCLI to copy content, you still need to setup many things in the target system from authentication, servers, license keys, and other stuff that can't be promoted. You also won't be able to use your Version Management Content that you've previously checked-in.

We are strongly recommending that you do an in-place update.

Regards, Matthew
Matthew_Shaw
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos
Seems there's a problem with the old Design Studio 1.6.x applications running on Lumira 2 when also on BI 4.2 SP2. Patch 4 (for BI 4.2 SP2) should address this. I'll update this comment with a KBA/Node number when I get one.
Joe_Peters
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
Thanks for the information, Matt, it is very useful.

A question on Explorer, though - you say that it's not affected by the upgraded compiler, but does it have to be re-installed after upgrading from BI4.1 to BI4.2 SP04?
Matthew_Shaw
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hello Joe, Thanks for your feedback.

You won’t need to ‘re-install’ the existing Add-on, but you will need to install a newer version of the Explorer Add-on. The Explorer manual says

When you update your version of SAP BusinessObjects Explorer, you must ensure that the Business Intelligence platform (BIP) version is updated to the required version before updating to the same version for SAP BusinessObjects Explorer.

So, once you’ve updated to BI 4.2 SP4, you’ll need to install the Explorer 4.2 SP4.

Do not uninstall the old Explorer Add-on. Its very much best left alone!

Regards, Matthew

Joe_Peters
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
Got it.  Thanks for the quick reply!
sachin_v_joshi
Participant
0 Kudos
Mattew,

Thanks for sharing such a nice blog

In our scenario, what we want is to highlight the

How to Migrate,Risks & Issues,Limitations,Recommendations and Best Practices

for Analysis Office on BW,

Lumira 1.31.6 based on HANA/BW/Unx and Design Studio based on HANA/BW to be upgraded from BI4.1 to BI4.2 SP5 (if possible).

I believe Upgrade Management tool would be able to suffice it; but I'm sure you must be having some pointers on these.

Could you please share those with me ?

-Sachin

Matthew_Shaw
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos
Hello Sachin

The Upgrade Management Tool is for when you are updating from XI3 to BI4. There's no use for the Upgrade Management Tool once you've already updated to BI 4.

Regards, Matthew

sachin_v_joshi
Participant
0 Kudos
Hello Matthew,

Yes you are correct its for platform XI 3 to 4 where UMT is usefull.

Any pointers to the risks and limitation, Recommendation,Best Practices while updating from 4.1 to 4.2 for below applications sets

Analysis Office on BW,

Lumira 1.31.6 based on HANA/BW/Unx

Design Studio based on HANA/BW

Any blogs/suggestions will help me.

Thanks in advance

//Sachin

0 Kudos
Hello Matthew,

Thanks for all the useful information shared.

We are planning to update from 4.2 SP03 Patch 05 to 4.2 SP05 Patch 04, we have Add-ons as Lumira 1.31.4 Design Studio 1.6 SP06 and SBOP Explorer 4.2 SP03, so based on all your statements and comments there shouldn't be a concern perfroming the correct wokflow, in our case update required Add-Ons first without Explorer and then the BI platform and Explorer at the end.

Now, my concern comes from KBA "2485676 - Assertion failed error when attempting to uninstall previous Support Pack update or Patch post upgrade to BI 4.2 SP4 or BI 4.1 SP10" that mentions due the new compiler version is not possible to uninstall previous(old) software versions(patches and Add-Ons) on Windows as you have mentioned in your blog, now my doubt is, does it will be the same behavior if in a future we attempt to execute "Modify/Repair" option for our software installed, since as you know by now(4.2 SP03) when any modification or repair to the software is needed must be done selecting base software installation, currently BI 4.2 SP03.

So can you confirm if this option will still be working or we have to worry about it if we proceed with the update?

Thanks for your feedback,

Roy Garcia
Matthew_Shaw
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
Hello Roy Garcia,

When you update the BI Platform you also update the installer. It means that you can't uninstall older Support Packs or Patches prior to BI 4.2 SP4 and BI 4.1 SP10 (KBA 2501649)

However you can still modify the base install and add/remove component to the existing install, since the base installer is actually updated. For example, once you've updated from BI 4.2 SP3 to say BI 4.2 SP4 (or greater) you can still modify the base install to add/remove components. You just can never uninstall SP3.  Once you've updated to say BI 4.2 SP6, you can uninstall BI 4.2 SP4, but BI 4.2 SP3 will always be there. Hope this helps Matthew
0 Kudos
Thanks Matthew, that clears my doubt, appreciated.

Regards, Roy.
0 Kudos
we're upgrading from BOBJ 4.1 to 4.2, is it a straightforward upgrade or do we need to do a full regression testing of all applications
0 Kudos
Hi Matt,

I am upgrading from BI 4.2 SP3 to BI 4.2 SP6 and We have SAP Lumira Server 2.1 SP0.

Query : From the PAM it suggests that Lumira Server 2.1 SP0 is not supported on BI 4.2 SP6 so in that case do i also need to upgrade the Lumira Server 2.1 to SP1 immediate after BI platform upgrade . If yes than my dashboard that are developed using Lumira Discovery 2.1 SP0 , will they work after the upgrade.

IF yes i am all good but if no than what should be my upgrade path.

Thanks

Tarun