Technology Blogs by Members
Explore a vibrant mix of technical expertise, industry insights, and tech buzz in member blogs covering SAP products, technology, and events. Get in the mix!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JPReyes
Active Contributor
Ahhhh this was probably one of the first computer games I ever played back in 1985... for those not old enough to remember, in the game you were a rookie detective that using your knowledge of geography have to track down villains that kept jumping from city to city until you finally caught them, the aim of the game was to slowly make progress towards the main target, catch their leader, Carmen Sandiego.

The hours I spent, tracking all those criminals until finally arresting Carmen Sandiego, Nostalgia now but it was truly an addictive game at the time.

Funny enough for quite a few months now I've been having a flashback, call it a deja vu... this happens to me every time I try to locate SAP Basis questions on the community, I end up jumping from tag to tag, chasing them with limited success, its highly frustrating and I bet Carmen Sandiego was easier to find 33 years ago!

I remember when I started contributing back in 2006 I found the same problem with the old SAP Developer Network, It was difficult to identify a topic to post to because at that time the site was focus at...  well... developers, so what ended happening is that the Basis crowd hijacked the topic SAP Netweaver Administrator, this area was initially oriented to NWA questions but because it sounded familiar to most SAP Basis Admins It became the area which our people gravitated towards and we got to call it HOME.

A few years later in 2011 I posted a blog as the proliferation of "topics" was starting to ramp up, the blog was calling for a rebrand to give Basis consultants a explicit place to post...

The blog gathered quite a bit of support but it didn't take off, we had a home anyway and around that time we also create the Basis Corner page on the Wiki which was a repository for additional content.... all good.

Fast forward a few years and SAP Community was created, it was by all means a step forward from the aging SCN site, but the initial hype was short lived and with 3000+ tags and some bugs the community took a big hit and a lot of contributors like myself were left homeless.

Since then and slowly the SAP Community team has done an great job consolidating the initial river of tags into a more manageable number. The latest changes, new design, new profiles, plus the return of gamification is in a way paying dividends and it does feels like the community is starting to react to them and the volume of traffic and questions is on the rise!

For that a big thank you...

But (there is always a but) we lost a lot of contributors on the way and even though the old SAP Netweaver Administrator tag is still available, no-one posts there anymore and my 2011 blog remains as valid as it was back then.

A new Basis primary tag that can be combined with a secondary tag of choice would close the issue for good.

Until then the question remains,

Where in the World are the SAP Basis questions?...

Love to hear your thoughts

23 Comments
Labels in this area