cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can MRP take into account material determination?

former_member42743
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

We are looking at using material determination to help phase out an old material and replace it with a new material number.

I.e. we need to change a material number. The new material and old material are pretty much identical. (basically changing some mtrl numbers to match a new mtrl numbering standard). It looks like we can use material determination in SD to ship out the old material number until the old material stock is gone.

Our question is however to figure out how to set up MRP. How would we set up MRP to "see" the old material number as available stock? We have significant stocks in some cases of the old material number and we don't want to trigger production of the new material number. (planning should be done under the new material number)

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Craig

View Entire Topic
Caetano
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Craig

In tab MRP4 of the material master you can activate the material discontinuation, defining the Effective-Out Data and the Follow-Up material. MRP will automatically plan to consume all the stock of the discontinued material and it will redirect dependent requirements to the follow-up material, after the effective-out date.

Please observe that this solution will work only for dependent requirements and firm elements, like reservations, for example, cannot be redirected. I suggest you to go through this note for more details about discontinuation:

43636 - Discontinuation control

Regards,
Caetano

former_member42743
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Lets say I have 100 EA available of my old material.

My effective-out date is 12/31/2019.

I get new orders in to a point that I'll have a stock out of the old material by 12/10/2019. The new orders would taken using the new material number.

Will planning automatically issue planned orders for the new material? Or will it only do so after the effective-out date?

I guess the question is does the effective-out date determine the last date it will consider old stock?

Or does it also control the first date I can plan to make the new material?

Or both?

Craig

Caetano
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Craig

If you are using the feature mentioned by Veselina, your material will be replaced in the sales order itself, which means that the sales orders will be created for the new material and then MRP will generate planned orders for the new material. Since this is more an SD feature, I'm not very familiar with it and I cannot provide many details.

If you are using the discontinuation mentioned in my previous post, sales orders and other specific requirements outside of the effective-out date are flagged with exception message 58.

I think you can try to activate both features for your material. The discontinuation will show the effective-out date in MD04, telling the planner that this material will be discontinued, throwing exceptions for planning elements after the effective-out date and redirecting any possible dependent requirement. The substitution reason will change the materials in the sales order, ensuring that the new sales orders will be created for the new material only.

Regards,

Caetano