cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Material master message customizing

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

If a material is flagged for deletion I want to stop being change that material from MM02. To do this I need to set message MM071 from W to E but unfortunately I was not able to.

I went through IMG-Logistics u2013 General-Material Master-Basic Settings-Define Attributes of System Messages. There I can see application area MM and message number 071 but I cannot add it in customizing because there is no u201Cnew entriesu201D button.

I need your valuable input!

Thanks

Metin

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Making this message an error would make its long text nonsense, as it clearly indicates that it is allowed to do changes.

Further, what would be the benefit of making it an error? It would not allow you to maintain the material master.

Means, once you have set the deletion indicator you can never undo it. But is that really what you want? hopefully noone ever flags a material then for deletion by a mistake.

Usually people want restrict the use of materials which are flagged for deletion in e.g. purchase orders, but there you will not get the message MM071, instead you get message ME051.

In OMT4 only the settings for message types of delivered error messages can be taken into account. Entries for selfadmitted error messages are thus ignored, accprding to OSS note 545211.

if you want control mm02 maintenance in case of deletion indicator set, then you have to do this in the user exit

Edited by: Jürgen L. on Apr 30, 2011 11:40 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the answer Jürgen,

I donu2019t want to let users change material master if it is flagged for deletion. Because, by mistake, we have several material codes that belongs to same material and deletion is done by someone else who has authorization of MM06.

I have already set message ME051 but sometimes users could change material description in MM02 even it is flagged for deletion and let other people to reset deletion flag in MM06. My initial though is to prevent this change, i.e., description of material, in the beginning.

In application area MM there are almost 550 different messages only 8 of them are available in customizing. Would not it be better

if we can customize those messages, as we have an option in purchasing messages, rather than developing in the user exit, BADI or etc!

Bijay, I know the material status and its usage but it is not related to my problem.

Regards

Metin

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

SAP is the designer of their programs. if the program is not designed to look into customized messages, then customizing changes have not any effect.

If you think it would be better to have those messages customizable, then you have to open a developement request at SAP.

they will then deside it if it makes sense and if yes, in one of the next releases you may get your customizable messages.

Until this date in far future, you have only one option: you have to control this with own ABAP coding in the material master user exit

See trx SMOD for enhancement MGA00001

Former Member
0 Kudos

Metin,

I will add a bit to Jürgen's answer.

I can absolutely guarantee that there will be unforeseen negative consequences when you implement your solution. You will end up spending more time and money and lost productivity addressing these additional problems. And don't ask me what these consequences are. I don't know your company's business processes. That is why I called them 'unforeseen'.

Your company currently has a problem with master data maintenance. You are pursuing a software solution to 'prevent' users from making 'mistakes'.

Another way to address the problem is with improved policies and procedures. If users are properly trained, and made responsible for detecting and maintaining corrections for their own errors, the error level will become insignificant, and this solution doesn't force you to 'lock down' any transactions. My experience is that if users are properly trained and motivated by their management, you can keep the system as open as SAP originally intended.

Best Regards,

DB49

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the valuable thoughts,

I will stick with Jürgenu2019s second advice and develop a control to prevent such changes.

I donu2019t need to open a note to SAP because I am pretty sure the answer they will provide!

Regards

Metin

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

You can set material status to blocked state in two ways:

1-Blocked for procment/whse---01

2-Blocked for task list/BOM -

The material status restricts the usability of the material, that is, it defines whether a warning or an error message is displayed if you include the material in a particular function.

You can assign a material status to a material at the following levels:

1-Plant level

2-Cross-plant level (that is, at client level).

If your requirement is to make restrictions to any change at MM02 after Flag for deletion set to the material then you need to adopt user exit so that any changes to material through MM02 will first check whether flag for deletion is set or not .

Thanks & Regards,

Bijay Pradhan