cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Differences between SAP S/4HANA Cloud Test Automation Tool vs. Tricentis Test Automation

swoe1
Discoverer

Hi together

I want to understand the differences pros/ cons between the SAP S/4HANA Cloud Test Automation Tool and Tricentis Test Automation.

From a cost perspective it makes no difference (at least for Enterprise support customers) because it is included.

Why should I use one or the other?

What can be integrated in SAP ALM Cloud. I'm always looking from a SAP S/4HANA Cloud perspective.

KR

Sebastian

rsendek
Discoverer
0 Kudos
Curious which direction you went and are you happy with the decision? We are just starting our SAP journey and want to pick the best test automation software.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Sonam
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert

Hi Sebastian,

Thanks for great question. Let me try to list down certain difference between SAP S/4HANA Cloud Test Automation Tool (TAT) and Tricentis Test Automation (TTA).

1. The TAT is available in your SAP S/4HANA Cloud Quality Systems and you can access it by adding the SAP_BR_TEST_ADMIN_AUTOMATION role your business user. In comparison to that, TTA needs to installed on your machine and then can be integrated with Solution Manager. For more details please follow the link:-How-to: Integrate Tricentis Tosca with SAP Solution Manager 7.2 technically

2. TAT delivers automated test scripts for most of the standard business processes. Customers can leverage the already delivered automated scripts or modify the existing scripts using the recording functionality in the tool to full fill their business requirements and build there automation suite. The total list of SAP delivered automated test scripts are 330 for 2111 and can be accessed via link – Automated Test Scripts Index. However, for the TTA the customer has to build their automation scripts from scratch as SAP is not delivering any TTA automated scripts as of now.

3. TAT covers most of the SAP UIs and supports only SAP S/4HANA Cloud applications. On the other hand TTA supports automation of all SAPUIs (WebDynpro, GUI, UI5, etc) and other SAP Cloud products like Success Factor, Ariba, Concur, etc.

4. TAT can test APIs available in Manage Your Test Process Application ( as of now only Finance, Sales, Procurement and Manufacturing areas are supported). In comparison to that TTA can test any API available.
5. TAT supports Post Upgrade Test for the Live Customers. For more information on PUT, please refer to the PUT blog. For the TTA no such service is planned as of now.

After listing down the most common difference between both the tools, let me answer the second part of the questions. Why should your use on on the other-

1. If your scope it only limited to SAP S/4HANA Cloud ( not involving much of integration with other SAP Products like Success Factor, Ariba, etc) and also your scope is matching more or less to the SAP Standard process, SAP TAT tool will be the best approach. On the other hand if your solution has too many integrations with other SAP Products, using TTA will be a better option.
2. If you require support in your regression testing by using the Post Upgrade Test Service, TAT will be a good option. As of now TTA has no plans for supporting the Post Upgrade Tests.
3. Tricentis Test Automation is one automation engine for on premise and SAP Cloud together with SAP Enterprise Continuous Testing by Tricentis (ECT*) for non SAP Applications, so if you have a integrations with non SAP Products Tricentis will be helpful.
4. If you are extensively using API testing for your business TTA (Tricentis) will be a good option as the Test Automation Tool (TAT) is still evolving and planning to bring all APIs onboarded from the API hub.

*Note: ECT is available on SAP Price List.
Also, there are other Tricentis products for Load Testing and Risk-based Test Scope definition available on SAP Price List-

Now, answering the last part of the question with respect to integration with Cloud ALM-
Currently, SAP/ S4HANA Cloud Test Automation tool can be integrated to Cloud ALM. For Tricentis Automation tool, a web product of Tosca is planned to be integrated with Cloud ALM in near future.
SAP Solution Manager integrates with the on-premise products from Tricentis ECT (known as Tosca) and TTA.

I hope this gives you some insights on the SAP S/4HANA Cloud Test Automation Tool and Tricentis Test Automation tool.

Regards,
Sonam

swoe1
Discoverer

Hi Sonam

Thank you very much. This overview was very helpful for me.

KR

Sebastian

Ashish3
Explorer

Good article. Is TTA free for Partner TDD systems? Thanks

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

thomas_kesl
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Sonam, very interesting - thanks! Is there an update on the integration to CALM?

Sonam
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert

Hi Thomas,
If you are referring to the integration of TAT (Test Automation Tool) to SAP Cloud ALM, it is can be achieved now-
Please refer to the following links-
https://blogs.sap.com/?p=1336102
https://blogs.sap.com/2022/06/20/integrating-sap-cloud-alm-and-the-test-automation-tool-tat-for-sap-...

However, if you are referring to the integration of Tricentis with SAP Cloud, it's in the roadmap and in progress.
Tricentis and SAP Internals teams are closely working on this.

Regards,
Sonam