Enterprise Resource Planning Blogs by SAP
Get insights and updates about cloud ERP and RISE with SAP, SAP S/4HANA and SAP S/4HANA Cloud, and more enterprise management capabilities with SAP blog posts.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
graziela
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
Hello community,

This is our W-4 discussion blog. If you have questions about topic, you can post it here. This blog will be updated with tips, best practices and, SAP Notes related to this subject.

2760918 BSI: TaxFactory 11.0 - DDIC Changes
2763228 BSI: TaxFactory 11.0 - Function Modules Changes
2770832 BSI: TaxFactory 11.0 - General Technical Changes
2780204 BSI: TaxFactory 11.0 - Changes required for TaxFactory SaaS
2790902 BSI: TaxFactory 11.0 - Payroll Driver Changes
2845130 Prerequisite objects for SAP Note 2845128
2853402 Correction of report NOTE_2845130
2845128 TAX: W-4 Form for Year 2020 - Master Data (SAP_HR)
2850174 TAX: W-4 Form for Year 2020 - Master Data (EA-HR)
2845529 TAX: W-4 Form for Year 2020 - ABAP Webdynpro ESS and Renewal (EA-HR)
2870221 Post-implementation objects for SAP Note 2845529
2863489 Prerequisite objects for SAP Note 2855896
2855896 TAX: W-4 Form for Year 2020
2870177 TAX: W-4 2020 - Not reading infotype 0210 for periods in 2019 with checkdate in 2020
2871658 TAX: Missing field labels for ESS W-4 2020.
2873856 New W-4 fields not disabled in PA30/PA40 for Exempt employees after applying SAP note 2872242
2872242 TAX: Exempt indicator does not change fields for W-4 for year 2020
2875533 Delimited Filing Status Description resulting in validation error in Decoupling Framework in specific situations
2876794 TAX: NWI parameter misplaced in BSI Interface for TaxFactory 10.0
2880390 W-4 ESS: Changing field property and usage of BAdI HRXSS_PER_BEGDA
2877736 TAX: W-4 Payroll log changes for TAX (PC22T) table
2886638 Prerequisite objects for SAP Note 2881830
2881830 TAX: Additional W-4 Payroll log changes for TAX (PC22T) table
2884856 - Prerequisite objects for SAP Note 2880846
2880846 - TAX: Lock-in letters not overriding New W-4
2888094 - TAX: Lock-in letters override for W-4 exempt
2935484 - TAX: Payroll incorrectly using Hire Date to read Infotype 0210
2944973 - TAX: New Parameters for Formula Number Decision) and all its prerequisites should be applied.
2952323 - Prerequisite objects for SAP Note 2951750
2951750 - Redesigned Withholding Compliance Lock-In Letters 2800C and 2808C

IMPORTANT -> these notes contains a lot of manual steps, that must be implemented.
- There is a minimum Support Package requirement to these notes to be implemented.

Improvement for ESS ABAP WebDynpro application.

2876047 Prerequisite objects for SAP Note 2868576
2868576 - W-4 ESS - Allowing the configuration of begin date in standard ESS
With this enhancement, users will be able to set the start date of the records created in their ESS. More information can be found in the notes.

2878349 - PAYSLIP: W-4 Form for 2020 - Fields enablement for PE51
2881474 - PAYSLIP: W-4 Form for 2020 - Fields enablement for PE51 - additional functionalities
2881471 - Prerequisite objects for SAP Note 2880845
2880845 - Tax Infotype Summary Report for W-4 2020
2881773 - W-4 ESS: ESS Web Dynpro enhancements

Important Basis Note correction:
2844646 - Ignore the local class definition, implementation, definition deffered, definition load , definition local friends changes

FAQ blog:
https://blogs.sap.com/2019/12/16/w-4-employees-withholding-certificate-and-federal-income-tax-withho...

States W-4 blog:
https://blogs.sap.com/2020/04/03/w-4-state-withholding-tax-calculation-2020-based-on-the-state-or-st...

Phase I and II W-4 State:

2895426 - Prerequisite objects for SAP Note 2878657
2878657 - 2020 State Withholding Tax Calculation - Based on the State (or State-equivalent) Withholding Certificate (SAP_HR) - Phase I
2891794 - State Withholding Tax Calculation - Based on the State (or State-equivalent) Withholding Certificate (EA-HR) - Phase I
2916238 - 2020 State Withholding Tax Calculation - Based on the State (or State-equivalent) Withholding Certificate (SAP_HR) - Phase II.

Regards,
Graziela
388 Comments
Brandyn_Richmon
Participant
0 Kudos
Hi all -

- -Tax Factory 10 cyclic W bulletin 181 - -

I am not seeing any difference in my FED withholding when toggling the Multiple Job Indicator checkbox. It seems to be using the first tax table regardless. I have attached a couple screenshots.

Any help is appreciated?

LarrySuttles
Participant
0 Kudos

brandynrichmond

If the new 2020 W-4 Form was being sent with the Multiple Job checked, you would see "WF: 1,2" in the log, as shown below. It's possible you don't have all the notes applied and/or manual steps performed.

alicia_robinson
Participant
Billy - check out the very first post on this blog.  W-4P was the first post.
The validity date added into the ESS screen is very good, however when we go into the screen it is not visible because it is at the bottom.  Employees do not initially think of scrolling.  Since HR / Payroll is a date driven system, why is the Validity section at the bottom instead of at the top?  It should be either before the "Personal Information" section or at least before the "W-4 Information" section.  Especially since by changing the date to a 2020 date the display in the W-4 section changes.

Please move the Validity section up higher on the ESS form to a more logical location.

Thanks,
ChrisSolomon
Active Contributor
Shameless self promotion? haha

I just published this blog that details an enhancement made to "filter" the filing (marital) status for the 2020 W-4 in ESS.

https://blogs.sap.com/2020/01/21/ess-2020-w-4-filing-status-fix/

I hope it is helpful for others.
ChrisSolomon
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
If SAP does not do this (it actually matches/consistent with most all of their other ESS WDA apps), it is very easy to  create a custom WDA configuration and move it to where you like.
jwiblepasshe22
Participant
Thanks Chris, as an example to your custom suggestion we have customized the ESS JAVA and Web Dynpro ABAP applications to more closely match the actual W-4 form. (We modified both as we started out planning to use Web Dynpro but we decided to go with JAVA for now to match our other production applications):

Keep in mind that this was done by our Web team (programmers) and it is not configuration:

Brandyn_Richmon
Participant
0 Kudos
Thanks for the response Larry.

I am not seeing the “WF: 1,2” value in my BSI log. We have implemented 20+ notes (... and counting). Does anyone know what note and/or manual steps specifically address the BSI log in the payroll schema?

Thanks, Brandyn

Brandyn_Richmon
Participant
0 Kudos
Looks like I am missing 2855896 ... and its pre-reqs.
Thank you Alicia.

I see SAP doesn't support the W4-P, however per the US Federal Government it is a valid form and therefore we should have a solution from SAP to support this legal form. My client is pushing for a solution. I am hoping SAP will respond so I know what to tell them.
former_member648121
Discoverer
0 Kudos
Graziela...Would SAP be releasing 2020 Form SC W-4 for the state of South Carolina?

Thanks.
former_member655447
Discoverer
0 Kudos
H All

we are using Symmetry and we have uploaded the new W4 -FED

However, we are encountering an issue with the 6 states that have new W4 form like DE, CO, UT, NM the new fields are not showing it IT0210.. we did the mapping as requested by symmetry  . it's working for FED but not for the states that are following the W4-Federal Form ( Delaware , Utah, New Mexico, Colorado...etc ).

Will SAP be releasing new notes for States following the FED W4 format.

This is an urgent requirement please if you can assist.

Thank you!
bleary
Discoverer
0 Kudos
Hi All,

We are just realizing that we are having the same issue with concurrent employment that Larry mentioned back on December 10.  Employees are having additional assignments added so they now have a 2020 record and have not submitted a new W4.  I opened a note with SAP but has anyone found a way to get around this?

Thanks
Brenda
former_member97775
Discoverer
0 Kudos
Hello,

I am testing this item in our DEV system and see that when I add a CE assignment to someone Jan 2020 forward, the new IT210 screen is used when the split is created, and this further creates a change to the withholding to use the new filing statuses.  I assume this is what you encountered as well....where all things being equal, an empty CE pernr being added on someone grandfathered into the 2019 W4, shouldn't change withholding tax on the employee.

I plan on opening an OSS note for this item as well.

Thanks!
LarrySuttles
Participant
0 Kudos

nevets6

Please do. We are really not happy with SAP's decision concerning CE.

Larry
alicia_robinson
Participant

Cheryl –

This question has been asked and SAP’s reply was that they are only releasing Federal.  I’ve seen in the comments that a few people have logged a message with SAP, but haven’t seen that any of them have gotten a response from SAP yet.  I will be joining the others and logging a message with SAP in the next few days.

We also use Symmetry, but chose not to make the changes because it would only cause us more issues.

former_member655447
Discoverer
0 Kudos
Thank you for the update.

we are logging a message as well with SAP today
LarrySuttles
Participant
0 Kudos
Brenda,

We were unable to come up with a solution. Hopefully SAP will reconsider and fix the CE issue if enough customers complain.

Larry
former_member97775
Discoverer
Quick question Larry, what are your V_T582G setting for IT210?  I updated to  "Before Assignment Starts" and that passed an initial test because it no longer splits post-2020.  Grp Rsn was always "USIT"
0 Kudos
Hi Virginia,

We have created OSS incident as below. Please help:

52498 / 2020 W4 form for Webdynpro java based application

Regards,

Nirmod
LarrySuttles
Participant
0 Kudos

nevets6,

Thank you for that, that change resolved the issue and my testing doesn't show any negative effects. This actually might resolve another 'rare' issue we are having with IT0009.

Thanks,

Larry
Good afternoon all.  We have taken the route of adding HRSP up to E9 to cover all the notes and activities required but still cannot display the new fields in ESS.  We are still running ESS in Java.  We have added the new status entries in Table T5UTK and those are displayed but cannot get the field for Credits for dep.

In test we deleted a W4 so that we could create new with no luck still.  Can anyone tell me what we may have missed?  It is almost like we need to activate something.  All new fields are visible in ECC.

We are running SAP_HRCUS 604 0148 SAPK-604E8INSAPHRCUS Sub component SAP_HRCUS of SAP_HR.

I found today that there is a pilot note 2876327 which is referenced for JAVA ESS but I do not have access.  May we be added to the pilot group for access?  Thanks.

Hi,

With the new W-4 in ESS Webdynpro ABAP is there a way to display the current W-4 (pre 2020) so Employees see what they currently have?  We are getting a lot of calls regarding this.  The current W-4 is in the overview but does not include all the details and once you click on this to open it is displaying the NEW form.

Thanks

Trudy Karley
former_member87421
Active Participant
0 Kudos
Hi debbie.satterfield

Can you open an incident under component PY-US? In the incident, inform that you want to be added as pilot for  ESS Java?

Regards,

Virginia
nnichols
Explorer
0 Kudos
Hello,

Beginning January 1, 2020, Employee’s Withholding Allowance Certificate (Form W-4) from the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) will be used for federal income tax withholding only.

You must file the state form Employee’s Withholding Allowance Certificate (DE 4) to determine the appropriate California Personal Income Tax (PIT) withholding.

Is SAP planning on releasing a note for the ABAP WebDynpro ESS requiring an employee to complete a new CA withholding form when completing a new FED W4?

Thank you!

Nancy
ChrisSolomon
Active Contributor
Thanks Virginia.  Incident 68556 / 2020 Access to Pilot notes created.
nstrik
Discoverer
0 Kudos
We are having the same issue.  We have opened a message with SAP also, 64590 / 2020, and received a very frustrating initial response that we should change on CE configurations to not copy IT0210 across all assignments. Unacceptable. We need SAP to resolve this CE issue with the new W-4.
LarrySuttles
Participant
0 Kudos

nstrik,

I went through the same experience with SAP. It was suggested by someone on here to update Table V_T582G to use value ""X Before Assignment Start" in column "Group before/From Assgmt Start". We did this but it causes errors when an EE already has more than 1 assignment. So we are now creating a utility program to update ALL EE CE records so the data matches. All this just to avoid the W-4 election from changing when an additional assignment is added.

Larry
LarrySuttles
Participant
0 Kudos
Correction to my last post, we are using SAP delivered program RPUFIXDS to fix all existing CE records.

Larry
Averil
Explorer
0 Kudos
Hi All,

Regarding supplemental tax when an employee has selected Exempt status on IT 0210

Prior to the W-4 update for 2020 we had the Tax Exempt Indicator field grayed out and our users entered 99 Allowances if they wanted to be exempt from Federal tax withholding.  With the changes we lost the Allowances field so we un-grayed the tax exempt indicator field.  However, when we process a supplemental payment, e.g. a bonus, in a regular payroll both the regular wages and the supplemental payment are tax exempt.  Can anyone tell me how they handle this so that the supplemental wages are taxed correctly even when the employee chooses exempt status?

Thanks,

Averil
Debbie_Moses
Participant
What is everyone doing to prevent ESS users from selecting the old marital status values?
former_member86671
Discoverer
Can anyone tell me the SAP Error Message number for the ESS message: Please choose the declaration? Thanks!
former_member87421
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi deborah.moses

Can you ellaborate your question on the selection of old marital status value? How is your T5UTK configured?

Regards

Virginia

former_member87421
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi edie.hopkins

Can you explain when this message appears?

Regards,

Virginia

former_member86671
Discoverer
0 Kudos
It appears if the employee saves their W4 changes and they have not checked the declaration box
SRB86
Explorer
0 Kudos
Hi Graziela,

The current design is unforgiving if a PA30 keying mistake occurs on the start date of the W4 requiring the pre-2020 form to be active for some portion of the 2020 year.

We locked retro on our Payroll Control Record to Pd1 2020 last week after the W2s were filed.  We have always been told not to delete the production system's Payroll Control Record for any other reason.

Issue:

Employee provides updated W4 to be effective 2/1/2020.  Mistakenly keyed date as 1/1/2020, deleted record starting on 1/1/2020 but cannot correctly extend or create a new record for the extension of 1/1/2020-1/31/2020 matching the 2019 W4 format.

Essentially, the 2019 active record should have been copied with a start date of 2/1/2020 but was not.

If the employee expects their changes on 2/1, we cannot use the 2020 W4 format for the gap of 1/1/-1/31/2020.

What is your recommendation for this type of correction without deleting the control record?

Thanks,

Stanette
former_member87421
Active Participant
0 Kudos
Hi edie.hopkins

In this case, the Declaration checkbox needs to be selected.

Regards,

Virginia
former_member86671
Discoverer
Hi Virginia,

Yes, I know the box needs to be checked. I was asking if you could provide me with the SAP Message number? we would like to change the text that is displayed, but our developer needs the actual SAP message number. Can you provide this?

Thank you

Matt_Fraser
Active Contributor

Hi Virginia,

Due to a number of comments on this and, I think, on your other W-4 blog, about errors that crop up in PA30 when editing records with “old” W-4s using the old marital statuses, many of use ended up leaving the old statuses as valid alongside the new ones, in order to avoid those errors. So, we end up with a T5UTK that looks like this:

AuthorityStatusTextLong TextStart DateEnd Date
FED1SingleSingle1/1/198012/31/9999
FED2MarriedMarried1/1/198012/31/9999
FED3Ma. Sep.Married filing separately1/1/202012/31/9999
FED4Ma. Joint.Married filing jointly1/1/202012/31/9999
FED6Head houseHead of household or family1/1/198012/31/9999
FED8Widow(er)Widow(er)1/1/202012/31/9999
FED15Married/SRMarried but w/hold at higher single rate6/1/201812/31/9999

Perhaps Note 2875533 (Delimited Filing Status Description resulting in validation error in Decoupling Framework in specific situations) fixes this issue?

Cheers,
Matt

former_member87421
Active Participant
Hi edie.hopkins

Message number is 007, class HRESS_US.

former_member86671
Discoverer
0 Kudos
Virginia,

Thanks so much!! Appreciate your assistance.
graziela
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
Hello community,

SAP has released the announcement of legal changes for the States:

https://launchpad.support.sap.com/#/legalchangenotification/NoteInforSet/jira=GSREQAMER-394/MidColum...

Regards,
Graziela
gregg_mcgrath
Explorer
Hi,

After updating BSI to 10w TUB level 182 to get the 2020 W-4 working properly for non-resident aliens (NRAs), we found significant Federal tax calculation errors on former NRAs who became residents and had the NRA checkbox on IT0210 cleared - but the alternative formula was inadvertently left as 2.  Prior to TUB 182, this formula 2 data entry error was ignored and the employees were taxed regularly (married or single, and all allowances taken into consideration).    After TUB 182 these employees are taxed single, high rate table, and as though they have a deduction credit entered equal to their entered allowances times 2 times 4300.  We are unable to correct these as it would require we convert these pre-2020 W4s to post 2020 W4s in IT0210.  I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this?

Regards,

Gregg

rkhan
Explorer
Today, we finally resolved this issue.

• Initially we opened a ticket with BSI, they concluded that it is SAP issue,

• We created an incident with SAP

• SAP suggested few Notes, but those were already implemented

• SAP then asked us to check the SAP-BSI connection, which we did there was nothing wrong

• Then today we had another screen-sharing session with BSI, and during the session, they identified an issue with server file (it was old one), updated server file was applied and system started working fine.

former_member97775
Discoverer
0 Kudos
FYI, I hit an IT161 issue [specific scenario] and found a new note that is not included in the top portion of the blog.  It was released 2/14, if others find it useful/necessary.

2888094 - TAX: Lock-in letters override for W-4 exempt
0 Kudos
2872242 TAX: Exempt indicator does not change fields for W-4 for year 2020

This note is not working as mentioned. Neither it wipes out the exemption/additional amount etc and also not changing the to display only.

Anyone face this issue?

This note says it is for PA30.

Does that mean SAP will release another one for ESS ABAP WD? Are they suggesting us to hide Exempt status in ESS?

Thank you,

Raj Mahadevan
former_member55029
Discoverer
0 Kudos
Any update on this please
former_member87421
Active Participant
0 Kudos
Hi Raj,

Your question has been answered in the other blog.

Regards,

Virginia
siddharthrajora
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos
JAVA WD is already available. Please check it