Enterprise Resource Planning Blogs by SAP
Get insights and updates about cloud ERP and RISE with SAP, SAP S/4HANA and SAP S/4HANA Cloud, and more enterprise management capabilities with SAP blog posts.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stefan_resag
Advisor
Advisor

Target of this blog is to describe the different options to supply production components and how they interact with each other.

Business background:

In many production processes the components required to fulfill a production order are normally stored in a central warehouse and first need to be brought to the production area in a separate step before production can be executed.

SAP Business ByDesign supports this replenishment process in the following ways:

1. Do add-ho goods movements from warehouse to production (not considered any further here)

2. Do periodic replenishment based on a replenishment run

3. Do ad-hoc replenishment for a dedicated production supply area

4. Use supply-to production operation modelled in a bill of operations (BOO)

5. Use replenishment with reference to a dedicated production order.

Since the different options are documented in detail I will focus on how they work together.

For this I created a bill of material for a finished product with three components together with a bill of operation containing a supply operation (setting the check box 'Supply to Production').

In the corresponding production model I then assigned the three BOM components to the production operation, but only checked 'Supply to Production' for 'Component 01':

As a next step I maintained the location layout in the following way:

1. In the production logistics area, where the production resources are located I maintain a fixed production supply area.

2. For the production supply area P1100-30-10 I maintained a replenishment rule for product 'Component 02'. Of course you could also use other paramters when defining the rules.

To see the effect on replenishment I now did a replenishment with reference for a dedicated production order. The result is as follows:

For component 1, not replenishment is proposed, because replenishment for this component is done via the supply task.

For component 2 a replenishment quantity '0 ea' is proposed, because system has checked the replenishment rules and found, that replenishment should be done based on these rules (either by replenishment run or by triggering replenishment manually for the production supply logistics area).

As a consequence only for component 03 a replenishment quantity of 3 ea is proposed.

With the inbound web service interface ManageLogisticsLayoutExecutionViewIn replenishment requests can be created. This is an example payload to trigger replenishment for production order ID 1221:

<soapenv:Envelope xmlns:soapenv="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/" xmlns:glob="http://sap.com/xi/SAPGlobal20/Global">
<soapenv:Header/>
<soapenv:Body>
<glob:LogisticsLayoutExecutionViewBundleMaintainRequest_sync_V1>
<BasicMessageHeader>
</BasicMessageHeader>
<LogisticsLayoutExecutionView>
<ProductionOrderID>1221</ProductionOrderID>
<ProcessType>1</ProcessType>
</LogisticsLayoutExecutionView>
</glob:LogisticsLayoutExecutionViewBundleMaintainRequest_sync_V1>
</soapenv:Body>

</soapenv:Envelope>

Hope this helps to understand how the different replenishment options can be used together.

7 Comments
dejoy
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Stefan,

Hope you doing great. I am new in ByD area. Please let me know that can I replenish raw material on back date on ad-hoc basis via "create new replenishment" (under internal logistic)because I usually get shop floor raw material request after 3 or more days of actual consumption date.

Or shall I follow  goods movement on ad-hoc basis.

Regards,

stefan_resag
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Deepak,

not really sure what is your question. What do you mean by 'I replenish raw material on back date...'?.

Best regards,

Stefan

Former Member
0 Kudos
Hi Stefan,

I just found this blog you put together and it contains very useful information.  I am looking for more information on setting up complex layouts in ByD and using supply to production tasks.  I find the built in help documentation does not have enough information to help me accomplish what I am looking for.  Can you point me in the right direction for more information?

Best Regards,

Brad Crimin
stefan_resag
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos
Hi Brad,
I am not aware of any information besides the official documentation. In case you have specific questions however I can try to answer those.
Best regards,
Stefan
pammers
Explorer
0 Kudos
Hi stefan.resag ,

thanks for your post, which is really helpful. I have the situation that multiple input materials for a production task are stored in different loas (logistic areas) and in the confirmation of the task you have to select the source loas manually (aprox. 16 items). I think your suggestions for replenishment or supply task are valid, but often this causes additional steps and confirmations in the system which are time consuming in production facilities where employees should focus on manufacturing (especially when the bill of materials include 15+ materials).

Are you aware of a possibility that the system suggests/prefilles the corresponding source loas for the materials in the confirmation of a production task? I know that this is tricky, and rules might be defined because the materials might be stored in different loas and the system can not decide which should be selected. However, if restrictions are used in the loas and fixed bin strategy it seems easier for me. Maybe something is possible via material flow rules.

I am also aware of the loa that can be set in the production operation, but this configuration does also not really help in this scenario. Maybe you have an idea, or you know that this is not feasible in the system.

Best Regards

Stefan

stefan_resag
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos
Hi Stefan,

there are two ways to let the system propose another logistics area for the components in the production task.

In the Bill of Operation you can define a LOA on operation level. This means if you create one operation per source LOA and assign the respective components to the respective operation with the correct LOA, then a task is generated that proposes different LOAs per component (see attaches screen shot):

The other approach of course is using an add-on. Since the LOA can be changed in the task you could create some add-on coding that modifies the source LOA during task generation.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Stefan
former_member754645
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Stefan,

Thank you for the varied and detailed explanation of the supplement. It helped me a lot in understanding the replenishment process.

It is impossible to apply the contents of the document to the supplementary method I am currently trying to compose. If you know what settings are required, can you tell me through a screen capture?

1. We will replenish the replenishment material in the FIFO method. (The standard for FIFO is the expiration date of the same stock)

2. Replenishment materials are assigned to multiple LOAs regardless of the expiry date of the same stock.

3. A replenishment task is created through a new replenishment (using reference).

4. On the confirmation screen for replenishment tasks, the same stock of replenishment materials, shipment destination, and Logistic Area are set according to the FIFO. (Automatic assignment according to the FIFO principle in the system without user manual input)

I

As a result, the screen I want to see is
Replenishment task screen created by New replenishment (see Supplement)
[Identified Stock, Source Logistics Area, Target Logistics Area] is the screen assigned to the system according to the FIFO principle.

Is separate development necessary for this? Or is it possible to set it through byd's rules?

I've tried several rules, but it's hard to set up.

would appreciate it if you could guide me or give me a hint on how to set it up like above.

best regards,