Enterprise Resource Planning Blogs by SAP
Get insights and updates about cloud ERP and RISE with SAP, SAP S/4HANA and SAP S/4HANA Cloud, and more enterprise management capabilities with SAP blog posts.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gaborfazekas
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
One of the highest voted requirements for the SAP EAM Plant Maintenance (2016) Customer Influence Opportunity has been to provide a list transaction that provides a single common view of task lists and their operations, so the maintenance planners can get a one-stop overview of the task lists maintained for preventative maintenance. We have now realized this with the new IA38 and IA39 transactions:

With these new transactions, you have access to a comprehensive overview of task lists, you can display the task list header and operation level data in a single list view including some key indicators such as long text and component indicators, as well as a field for displaying maintenance package assignments.

To make it truly a one-stop overview for preventative maintenance, we're offering a navigation to connected master data and documents, such as functional locations and equipment, as well as maintenance items and orders.

The new functionality is available with SAP Note 2870957 or with the latest support packages of enhancement package 7&8 for SAP ERP and SAP S/4HANA. You can enable the new functionality by implementing either the SAP Note or installing the corresponding support packages, and switching on the Enterprise Asset Management Part 14 business function. To find out more, visit the linked release notes.

We'd love to hear your thoughts on the new functionality, so please comment if you have any questions!

To receive updates about future improvements, follow this blog post .

15 Comments
johnstog
Active Participant
We have implemented this new transaction via the note. Please note that it pulls in a further 21 notes and changes 400+ elements but we had no issues what so ever. Our end users love this transaction especially the packages fields so they can see it all on the list screen instead of looking at each individual Operation.

The component check boxes are also great as well as searching for Task Lists assigned to Outline Agreements. We are using Open Text work-spaces so the documents checkbox doesn't work but we will sort that one out somehow so they can see that documents are assigned to operations.

This is a great improvement for a Planner or Master data person for editing Task Lists but for a normal end user being able to search and display Task Lists and then see all the Work Orders assigned is a breeze.

Great improvement 🙂
0 Kudos
Dear Gabor! Could you, please, inform about hide or extra steps of configuration system.

I asked for help my Basis's colleagues - we've implemented Note 2870957, activated BF LOG_EAM_SIMPLICITY_14, made manual activities etc. Unfortunately, tcode IA38 (IA39) isn't available.

In any case, thank you very much for sharing product information!
peter_atkin
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
Thanks Gabor Balazs Fazekas,

Is there mass-change functionality on this report (like IW28, IW38, IE05, IL05)?

PeteA
gaborfazekas
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos
Dear Peter,

The mass change functionality in the IA38 transaction for the task list headers and operations is currently under development, to be released in the near future.

Best regards,

Gábor Fazekas
peter_atkin
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Perfect - thanks...

Here's a few more simple enhancements to IA38/9 that I had noted previously:

1. Mass change like IW28/IW38, etc
  2. Menu link to IP16 - Maintenance Plans
  3. Menu link to IA16 - Task List Costing
  4. Menu link to IP17 - Print Task List
  5. Menu link to IP15 - Change Documents
  6. Menu link to IP21 - Change Documents
  7. Menu link to IW29 - Notification List (may need some IW29 work to select via task list)
  8. Menu link to IA10 - Task List Multi-Level
  9. Add selection-screen option for selecting via task list class
  10. Add a dynamic selection button to the selection screen similar to IW40
  11. Change to newer LVC style ALV
  12. Add count to ALV title, including the filter count (assuming LVC ALV)
  13. Add checkbox for relationships
  14. Add checkbox for object dependencies
  15. Add selection-screen option selecting via: PRT, material, insp char (like buttons at the top of IW38)
  16. Add "dark mode" select-option as per many of the other PM list edit reports (DY_SELM)
  17. A customer-exit in the application toolbar for us to add our own functions
  18. A menu-exit for us to add our own functions

I couldn't remember whether hierarchical task lists are enabled in IA38??

Personally speaking - I would prefer "counts" rather than checkboxes as sometimes you need to validate the number of items.

PeteA

gaborfazekas
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos
Dear Peter,

Apart from the mass change we do not intend to enhance the functionality of the IA38/9 transactions in the near future. However implementing a material search for the list is also under discussion with the user groups.

As for the ALV, we are using the currently recommended ALV control, that does not allow us to implement the counter functionality with the same look and feel as in the other PM lists. There is however the counter field to get the same information, albeit with a different look.

Hierarchical task lists are excluded from the selection.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Best regards,,

Gábor

marciliojunior
Explorer
0 Kudos
Dear Gabor,

Is it possible to join user group for further discussions about PM enhancements? We have just implemented PM and I found a lot of new features from my last experience, like IW38A, IA38 etc. But theses findings are results from blog searches.

Thanks a lot.
gaborfazekas
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
Dear Marcílio,

For ERP EHP8 you can find all new developments here per support package (open path Logistics -> Plant Maintenance):

What's New in SAP Enhancement Package 8 for ERP 6.0 - SAP Help Portal

For S/4HANA you may find the same information here, in a different format:

What's New Viewer - SAP S/4HANA

As for further further discussion please reach out to me via email.

Best regards,

Gábor
marciliojunior
Explorer
0 Kudos
Thanks, Gabor! Very helpful information.
jawwad_khan333
Participant
Hi Gabor!

As we are implementing S4/HANA 2020 on Premise, we have activated this new transaction via BF LOG_EAM_CI_14.

I agreed @Graham Johnston comments that this is a great improvement for a Planner or Master data person for editing Task Lists but for a normal end user being able to search and display Task Lists and then see all the Work Orders assigned is a breeze.

Mostly the requirement from the client to see Task List with their operations, also components (materials) assigned to their operations and cost would see in one line so the maintenance planners can get a one-stop overview of the task lists maintained for preventative maintenance.

I hope that in near future we will able to see component with their operations in single view of Task list.

Regards

Jawwad
nick_ivanovic
Explorer
Hi Gabor,

It would be very useful to navigate directly to the selected operations from the IW38/39 report. Currently the report navigates you to the task list group level only.

In addition, having the ability to mass update (similar to IW28) would be very beneficial.

Thank you

Nick
gaborfazekas
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
Hi Nick,

When developing this list we've looked into the option of navigating directly to the operation level. In the end we decided against it, as it did not seem to be a high priority and would've come with a high effort.

As for the mass change for the task list as well as for the operation, it is already available. You can read all about it here (and in the SAP Help): Mass change for task lists and operations | SAP Blogs

Best regards,

Gábor
Steve_Dickie1
Explorer
0 Kudos
Hi Gabor,

I read that, "Configurable and hierarchical task lists are excluded from the result list".

Are there any plans to include these in IA38/9 in the near future?

Best Regards,

Steve
gaborfazekas
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
Hi Steve,

There are no plans to include configurable and hierarchical task lists in the IA38/9 transactions. These lists are already loaded with quite a lot of information, and we did not want to further overload this single list.

Best regards,

Gábor
Steve_Dickie1
Explorer
0 Kudos
Thanks, I understand.