Enterprise Resource Planning Blogs by Members
Gain new perspectives and knowledge about enterprise resource planning in blog posts from community members. Share your own comments and ERP insights today!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
taranam
Contributor
I have been writing Blogs on SAP S/4HANA Cloud based on my Cloud Implementation Journey and I always had the curiosity on certain topics since I come from SAP S/4HANA On Premise world where Landscape and Transport Management is still similar to ECC system where you have 3-4 system Landscape followed by Transport routes to move objects. This is one of the topics where I used to wonder how the 2 system Landscape will work on Cloud whereas in real no Transports on Cloud!! Then how will I move my developments to Prod(P). On top of it since we are following Agile Model; we have sprints of 2-3 weeks then what interval should be followed to move my transports? And can I move the transports to Prod(P)?

So, in the next 2 blogs; I will be trying to answer these queries one by one. I will be covering Landscape Set Up and Transport Management in SAP S/4HANA Cloud Implementation Project. While working on Cloud project I am sure these questions would cross your mind as well.

Let's try to understand the typical Landscape followed in S/4HANA Cloud Essentials -In Typical Cloud Implementation project you will be having 2 system Landscape i.e. Quality(Q) and Production(P). All your configuration/development changes will move from Q to P.

Additionally, you will have Starter System and Test System (Test system is optional)

Starter System: This is the very first system that you will have access to in your S/4HANA Cloud Essentials Implementation project .You will use this system during Explore phase to get familiar with the Cloud and use it for building PoCs and Business show and tell( Fit Gap Analysis)l. This is pre -configured system with SAP Best Practices and data. Its access is valid for 30 days only after you get access to P system.

Refer to very good blog here that covers the setup of starter system.

Below diagram depicts the typical two system Landscape of S/4HANA Cloud Project where only Q and P are connected along with SAP Cloud Platform which is used for building Side by Side Extensibility apps.

SAP Cloud Platform Identity Authentication Service: It provides secure access to Web applications and this is the entry point for all key users to login to the SAP S/4HANA Cloud Essentials system

• Test Tenant: Generally, SAP S4HC Test Tenant and SCP Test Tenant will be used for configurations, In-app & side-by-side extension development, integration development and unit testing. Development will happen in parallel to S4HC Quality System Provisioning. But no transport path is here. Once you have validated and done testing in Test System; all configurations and extension objects you need to re-build in Q system. This is an optional system which customers can use to get more familiar with the configurations before doing in Q system.

• Quality System: The Quality system is requested from the starter system and after the first Q Gate review after Explore Phase; SAP will approve the granting of Q system to customer if no high-risk items are identified in Q Gate audit. You will perform all the configurations and In-app developments in the Q system.

• Production System: This system is requested from the Quality system over designated phases as per Activate Roadmap and contains configurations confirmed from the Quality Systems. The validity of this system remains till the customer owns the Solution subscription.

How you will be moving your developments and Configurations from Q to P system ; we will talk on the same in next blog. 

Side by Side Extensibility: You will be using SCP for doing Side by Side Extensibility developments and typical landscape that you will follow for SCP integration with SAP S/4HANA Cloud will be having 2 subaccounts under SCP Global account - One for Non Prod systems and other for Prod system

* This is Optional so you can create separate space under Non-Prod subaccount for the same if required.

Summary: In this blog post I talked about typical landscape that is followed by the Cloud Implementation projects. For details on how the developments /configurations are moved from Q to P refer my blog   SAP S/4HANA Cloud: Landscape Set Up and Transport Management – Part 2.

Regards,

Taranam
9 Comments
Well captured ; will wait for Part 2 since we have started on STARTER system in our project  but not sure how to move objects yet.
DineshK
Active Participant
Following your blogs I am getting familiar with Cloud Implementation although working On Premise Implementation :). Keep sharing .
Thanks for sharing
Srinivas-Rao
Contributor
0 Kudos
Hi taranam - Thanks for this blog and the topic is, indeed, the most sought after. 🙂 One thing I could not get is the QGate Audit ? Who does this quality gate review, and what does SAP look for when you say "high risk items"?
taranam
Contributor

Thanks Srinivas . In S/4HANA Cloud Essential Implementation ; SAP does the Q Gate Audit at end for Explore Phase as part of Activate Methodology  .

Based on our Explore analysis ; SAP will validate the Partner understanding and design based on Fit Gap Analysis . Example In case solution is not available for any key item that is must for Go-live , it will be marked as Red and we need to re validate the same . Based on SAP Audit report ; we need to address the items marked in Red in audit Report(High Risk) and update SAP on the action we would take for such items.

For more details on Q-Gate deliverables that SAP uses for validation  , you can refer SAP Roadmapviewer 

Regards

Taranam

Thanks Taran. This is very useful and informative.

I have one query. I believe the block is for essential edition. Is the same landscape recommended for Extended edition or SAP recommends DEV system also in extended edition ?
taranam
Contributor
0 Kudos
hi Chirag , Yes this is for Cloud Essential Edition . For Extended you can have same landscape as On-Premise system .. And yes you will have DEV , QA and PROD in case of extended and your developments will happen in DEV

tiwaricha
Explorer
0 Kudos
Hey Taran, this is a very useful blog indeed. One question - does this scenario change for SAP implementations on hyperscaler cloud (IaaS)?
taranam
Contributor
0 Kudos
hi Richa

Thanks ; no this doesn't change . But for SaaS products SAP has now brought up 3 tier Landscape which is available as early adoption program and probably would be rolled out mid of next year .

Then things will change as it will have Embedded Steampunk as well that will give flexibility to do developments in Cloud .

Refer new Landscape here : System Landscapes in SAP S/4HANA Cloud - SAP Help Portal

Regards

Taranam
Labels in this area