Career Corner Discussions
Join the conversation in the Career Corner group to ask career-related questions, find approaches to building skills, and seek career advancements.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

After Certification

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am gonig through SAP BI Certification Training. Ihave 1 year of experience in Crystal report and total experience is 3 yrs (2yrs Teaching). How this certification help me to get a job as SAP BI Consultant

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'm afraid your certification isn't going to be much use for you at this stage in your career. The most relevant time in someone's career for SAP certification is after you've had 3 to 5 years of hands on experience and you're trying to get a job with a consulting firm or as a mid level SAP support person. At that level the folks offering the job are flooded with applications from folks with 3 to 5 years of job experience, from folks with only certification, and from folks with 3 to 5 years of job experience AND certification.

The certificate at that point tells the potential employer that your job experience was hopefully really hands on and not just end-user level access or, worse, completely fictitious. The certificate only folks are rejected out of hand because they haven't proven themselves in the work environment. The folks with job experience AND a certificate are then reviewed and interviews granted.

Your years teaching crystal reports prior to actually having used it in the field are probably not going to impress anyone. My advice is to look for an entry level job that pretty much anyone with a degree is qualified to get but which requires Crystal Reports. You should have an edge over someone who just graduated. After a few years, if you are a diligent and hard worker, you should be able to migrate into a job that is more central to SAP Business Intelligence.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,

--Tom

2 REPLIES 2

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'm afraid your certification isn't going to be much use for you at this stage in your career. The most relevant time in someone's career for SAP certification is after you've had 3 to 5 years of hands on experience and you're trying to get a job with a consulting firm or as a mid level SAP support person. At that level the folks offering the job are flooded with applications from folks with 3 to 5 years of job experience, from folks with only certification, and from folks with 3 to 5 years of job experience AND certification.

The certificate at that point tells the potential employer that your job experience was hopefully really hands on and not just end-user level access or, worse, completely fictitious. The certificate only folks are rejected out of hand because they haven't proven themselves in the work environment. The folks with job experience AND a certificate are then reviewed and interviews granted.

Your years teaching crystal reports prior to actually having used it in the field are probably not going to impress anyone. My advice is to look for an entry level job that pretty much anyone with a degree is qualified to get but which requires Crystal Reports. You should have an edge over someone who just graduated. After a few years, if you are a diligent and hard worker, you should be able to migrate into a job that is more central to SAP Business Intelligence.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,

--Tom

0 Kudos

Thank you very much Tom for your reply. This will help me a lot.