cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RFC Changes in DEV not getting transported to PROD

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi there experts!

I'm on a project without a BASIS team, so I have to do the transports (File System) manually into the real SAP machine by myself. The ABAP guy did add some fields to the IMPORT data of an RFC (since it's a RFC that selects some data from SQL). I've reimported to XI-DEV, added those fields to the DATA TYPE target, mapped them, activated the changes and restarted the Com. Channel. It works great in DEV. When I try to transport those changes to PROD (it's a 2 systems SAP scenario), it updates all my changes BUT the RFC new fields. I've tried to stop the com. Channel and the reactivated it, and no changes are shown. I've also refreshed caches (except restarting J2EE server, which could cause some problems since it's the PROD system).

SAP OSS NOTE 730870 says:

Q 29:

When a function module is changed in the backend, are the

changes published to the runtime at real-time?

A: No, an update made to a function module in the backend is not

informed to the runtime. This is because the function module metadata

is cached by the system during the first invocation of the module. All

the subsequent references to this function module are directed to the

cache. Any update made to the function module in the backend will not

be notified to the runtime, unless the cache is cleared.

The cache is cleared when any of the following happen:

- The corresponding RFC channel is restarted

- The RFC channel is changed in the Integration Directory

- The RFC adapter service is restarted

- The Dependent J2EE services are restarted (MessagingSystem,

CPACache, and so on)

- The J2EE server is restarted

Any hint on what I'm I doing bad? Thanx a lot in advance!

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

just an update. Since it will be a huge and slow job to trace what's happening with this, I've imported the RFC directly on my XIP system, with a pisuper user. Obviously RFC get updated and since the transport of other objects (i.e. Mapping, Data Types, etc...) went OK and were already showing the changes, the interface is working and PROD system is OK now (and so I am, no complaints from boss hehe). I'm trying to trace the error (seems some lazy cache not refreshing) and if I find the error I'll post it here.

Thanks you very very much on your advice!

Cheers,

Edu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

looks you are able to see the new fields in the ESR Mapping...but at runtime not able to see the same ?

if so have you cross checked that the RFC is sending the data with added new  fields  ??

just cross check , may be changes at ECC are yet to move..

HTH

Rajesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi , I've got DEV and PROD systems in my landscape, thing is that I'm selecting RFC and namespace (and ...

Now I'm going to try the CPACache Former Member said a message ago.

cheers

anupam_ghosh2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Eduarto,

CPA cache refresh might help here

For complete cache refresh – http://<hostname>:<port>/CPACache/refresh?mode=full

For delta cache refresh – http://<hostname>:<port>/CPACache/refresh?mode=delta

Inform your BASIS team too.

Regards

Anupam

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Anupam...

I'd wish I've got a Basis team! The thing is I'm on a project with no SAP Basis team, there're some guys from Basis at the company, but the know about clusters, and that thing, when I need something to get transported I go to that Basis guys, seat next to them, tell them to search for the file and then tell them the entire path where they must copy the .tpz. The only SAP knowledge they have is that "some guy often comes and tell us to copy some files"...

Talking serious, this morning I've refreshed "full mode" the CPA cache... It seems a clear 'sh** happens' issue.

naveen_chichili
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Eduardo,

Try re-imported the RFC meta data it will work.

Regards,

Naveen.

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi , I think I don't get it. I've re-imported the RFC to XI DEV and there I see the changes and map them. Then I do some testing and after that, back to XI, I choose individual things from namespace to transport to PROD. Once in PRO, when I Import those files, everything is getting update BUT the RFC data, so mapping says there are some nodes at target without corresponding node from RFC. In PROD I cannot import the RFC, since it's lock to changes, I just can bring the changes in transports (File System).

Do you know something about this?

former_member189387
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi ,

When you export the content from ESR ( IR) , Check the RFC also as a package ( Namespace + RFC )  .

Then import to your PRD system . Some time it wont reflect due to cache issue . Re-import again.

naveen_chichili
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Eduardo,

I am not telling to reimport the RFC in PRD. i am asking to reimport the metadata of that perticular RFC using TCODE - IDX2.

Regards,

Naveen.

naveen_chichili
Active Contributor
Former Member
0 Kudos

hi Former Member, that's what I'm already doing, I've done it several times with same result: no success.

It's a quite strange thing in such an easy transport, it's killing me since I don't know what else can I do!

cheers,

Edu

former_member189387
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Edu ,

Pls see this note  1580750  - PI Integration Builder: objects are missing after successful import.

Reason could be .

1. If there are conflicts created resolve in favour of the incoming version
  2. If no conflicts are present confirm if the objects are available.

Note : You cannot import metadata of RFC using IDX2

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi , I've never used that TCODE, I've just type it in PIP and it seems to be empty... shall I open it at R3 PROD? how can I import the metadata there?

naveen_chichili
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Eduardo,

did you try making dummy changes and reactivating the channel?

Regards,

Naveen

former_member189387
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Edu ,

Did you see the Note 1580750   ? Issue solved ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi Naveen,

yep, I've done dummy changes at the adapter and reactivated the channel with no luck.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ranga,

I'm already looking at that, I'll post any success. Cross fingers!

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi Former Member, I've try to make what that note says, but since the things that are missing are some new fields in the RFC, I cannot make any dummy change at description nor anything.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Eduardo,

Just as a sanity test, also maybe check the CPACache once to see if there are any issues (View recent history): http://hostname:port/CPACache

Regards, Trevor

Former Member
0 Kudos

Former Member, don't know if this is correct... but red lights never seem to be right, are they?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Nope, red lights are never right Eduardo...

What's the error that comes up when you open the "View confirmation XML"?

Regards, Trevor

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi Former Member,

the newest record is from 8 days ago, sounds weird... the error in View confirmation XML is this:

<?xml
version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"
?>

- <CacheRefreshError>

<EngineType>AE</EngineType>

<EngineName>af.pip.servsapprodsql</EngineName>

<RefreshMode>C</RefreshMode>

- <GlobalError>

<Message>CPA Cache not updated with directory data.</Message>

<Trace>com.sap.aii.af.service.cpa.impl.exception.CPADirectoryCacheException:
Couldn't open Directory URL
(http://servsapprod1:50200/dir/hmi_cache_refresh_service/ext?method=CacheRefresh&mode=C&consumer=af.p...),
due to: HTTP 503: Service Unavailable at
com.sap.aii.af.service.cpa.impl.cache.directory.DirectoryAccess.getDataFromDirectory(DirectoryAccess.java:382)
at
com.sap.aii.af.service.cpa.impl.cache.directory.DirectoryAccess.getDeltaCacheUpdateXML(DirectoryAccess.java:547)
at
com.sap.aii.af.service.cpa.impl.cache.CacheManager.performCacheUpdate(CacheManager.java:594)
at
com.sap.aii.af.service.cpa.impl.cache.CacheManager.initializeCPACache(CacheManager.java:266)
at
com.sap.aii.af.service.cpa.impl.startup.StartupManager.initializeCPACache(StartupManager.java:220)
at
com.sap.aii.af.service.cpa.impl.j2ee.sapengine630.ServiceFrameImpl.startCPACache(ServiceFrameImpl.java:129)
at
com.sap.aii.af.service.cpa.impl.j2ee.sapengine630.ServiceFrameImpl.start(ServiceFrameImpl.java:49)
at
com.sap.engine.core.service630.container.ServiceRunner.startApplicationServiceFrame(ServiceRunner.java:214)
at
com.sap.engine.core.service630.container.ServiceRunner.run(ServiceRunner.java:144)
at com.sap.engine.frame.core.thread.Task.run(Task.java:64) at
com.sap.engine.core.thread.impl5.SingleThread.execute(SingleThread.java:79) at
com.sap.engine.core.thread.impl5.SingleThread.run(SingleThread.java:105)
</Trace>

</GlobalError>

- <GlobalError>

<Message>Confirmation handling failed.</Message>

<Trace>com.sap.aii.af.service.cpa.impl.exception.CPADirectoryCacheException:
Couldn't send confirmation, due to: Couldn't access Confirmation URL, due to:
HTTP 503: Service Unavailable at
com.sap.aii.af.service.cpa.impl.cache.directory.DirectoryAccess.invokeConfirmationURL(DirectoryAccess.java:454)
at
com.sap.aii.af.service.cpa.impl.cache.CacheManager.performCacheUpdate(CacheManager.java:724)
at
com.sap.aii.af.service.cpa.impl.cache.CacheManager.initializeCPACache(CacheManager.java:266)
at
com.sap.aii.af.service.cpa.impl.startup.StartupManager.initializeCPACache(StartupManager.java:220)
at
com.sap.aii.af.service.cpa.impl.j2ee.sapengine630.ServiceFrameImpl.startCPACache(ServiceFrameImpl.java:129)
at
com.sap.aii.af.service.cpa.impl.j2ee.sapengine630.ServiceFrameImpl.start(ServiceFrameImpl.java:49)
at
com.sap.engine.core.service630.container.ServiceRunner.startApplicationServiceFrame(ServiceRunner.java:214)
at
com.sap.engine.core.service630.container.ServiceRunner.run(ServiceRunner.java:144)
at com.sap.engine.frame.core.thread.Task.run(Task.java:64) at
com.sap.engine.core.thread.impl5.SingleThread.execute(SingleThread.java:79) at
com.sap.engine.core.thread.impl5.SingleThread.run(SingleThread.java:105)
</Trace>

</GlobalError>

</CacheRefreshError>
regards,
Edu
Former Member
0 Kudos

That is very weird. It should have more entries from today at least.

This is not something that easy to trace. Since you are experiencing the issue in prod, you might want to also log a message with SAP support & respective severity depending on the business impact.

The times when I've seen something like this almost always related to an SLD inconsistency. Maybe start a search there, there is a SAP Note to guide.

Regards, Trevor

rajasekhar_reddy14
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Stop and Start the RFC channel and see the results

Former Member
0 Kudos

thanks a lot, Trevor... I also think that this might be something related to some SLD inconsistency, it will take me a lot of work to find this out. On the other hand, since the RFC is not updated in PRO but mapping and Data Types are updated, I could always transport the old mapping so PRO system at least could work as it is was doing, while I trace the error and fix it up.

Thanks a lot, sometimes is frustrating when a minor change raises this kind of problems.

regards,

Edu

Former Member
0 Kudos

I've already done that but still cannot see changes in Int. Builder. 

anupam_ghosh2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Eduarto,

Did you try checking the cache status through RWB---->cache monitoring---->cache notification table? Check if cache is showing right status. If not then try refreshing the cache through sxi_cache transaction.

Regards

Anupam

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Anupam,

I've got all notification table with green lights on,but I'm new to this project and I'm also trying to figure out if the were transporting in some 'creative' way, but It's a quite simple change and transport, it wouldn't be making me this problems.

I'll try sxi_cache, but shall I start a Complete Cache Refresh?

thanks a lot, Anupam!

anupam_ghosh2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Eduarto,

cache seems to be ok . This does not seem to be a cache issue. No need to refresh cache. Please try steps as suggested by experts.

Regards

Anupam