cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reporting on Master data Good ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello BW Experts,

We have a scenario to report customer balances and payments. The feed is from a non-sap system. Changes(delta) comes to BW every weekend. There are about 1 M customers. We have customer master and also a zcustamt ODS. A report is needed to view the customers for a couple of company codes with the balances and payments.

we have 2 possible solutions

1) create the report on the zcustomer infobject

2) use the ODS to report

Wondering how efficient is to report on Infobject when we have 1M customers. In case we go for ODS. Then we are creating copy of the same data and we have to make sure that these are not inconsistent.

What would be the best way to model this scenario?

Thanks,

BWer

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I guess that all balances and payments you have in ODS only. If yes, I'd go for ODS reporting. You certainly have a customer infoobject in it.

You'll see all amounts you need plus any additional attributes of customers if you choose so.

Best regards,

Eugene

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

edwin_harpino
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

hi BWer,

in your case, i do prefer report from infoobject, i think it would faster then ODS, ODS has to join to master data to get the text/description, using SID.

ODS take advantage if you have more than one infoobject as keyfield, which's can be achieved in infoobject by compounding (think not efficient in maintenance compare to ods).

that's my 2 cents.

hope this helps.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi BWer,

Technically speaking, both masterdata and ODS data are stored and read directly from tables, so there should not be considerable difference in the preformance and efficiency. So one again copying the same infoobject data into ODS is redundant and waste of memory. So can report on infoobject itself.

Regards

Sriram