cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remote cube

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Remote cube is to get live data from R/3.

When is a remote cube used ? It would be great if someone can give an example.

What are the things to be taken care while using a remote cube ?

Thanks

Raj

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Reporting on PSA as a little example of remote cubes usage:

Best regards,

Eugene

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Raj,

In SAP BW, the information which is reported, might not be a real time info. This is primarily because, the information is first <i>extracted</i> from the <i>source system</i>, and then Reported on.

There are also instances, where in only after a predecided time interval, the information is refreshed. This way, information is kind of "Cached". This is helpful if a large number of users are accessing the same information, and repeated extractions would make the system slow.

<b>Virtual InfoCubes</b> allow you to define queries with direct access to transaction data in other source systems. Thus giving you real time information.

Points you would need to take care of, in general are

- You must make sure that master data and hierarchies are already in BW when executing the query, since they are not read directly by the source system.

- TheBW ServiceAPI functionality (contained in SAP R/3 PlugIn) must have been installed.

- The source system must have at least release 4.0B.

- A source system ID must have been created for the source system in BW.

- DataSources from the source system must have been assigned to the InfoSource of the SAP RemoteCube. These DataSources are released for direct access.

- Active transfer rules exist for the combinations.

When a query is executed, data is loaded into SAP BW. For this reason, it only makes sense to use a Virtual Cube when the following prerequisites have been met:

- You require very up-to-date data from a SAP source system

- Only a small quantity of data is transferred.

- Only a small number of users work with queries in the dataset at any one time.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Sanyam

Former Member
0 Kudos