cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

'Drill-down' in SAC using Live Connection

former_member637839
Participant

Hello everyone,

I'm currently in the proces of switching our reports from PowerBI to SAC. In PowerBI I'm using a Import Connection on a BW-query based on SAP ECC, whilst in SAC I'm going to be using a Live Connection to HANA.

Currently, in PowerBI, I have several tables and graphs in which a user can 'drill-down' to another level. I can simply use any field I want as a 'Row' and the user can 'drill-down' (example: Sales Manager - > Sales Employee -> Product Group). I don't have to build any hierarchies in the background, I can pick any combination of fields I like.

I'm trying to replicate this in SAC but I can't seem to get it to work. I've tried searching to forums, but the answers I'm finding are over a year old. Is there any possibility to get this to work without having to create parent-child hierarchies in my Model? Using the Model to create these hierarchies would mean I would have to know in advance what my drill-downs are going to be, which would limit me significantly in building my reports and dashboards.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Stefan

View Entire Topic
DebjitSingha
Active Contributor

Hello Stefan,

Thanks for detailed explanation.

You can have all three view (from your snapshots) in explorer mode. Though your levels will appear in individual columns (manager, employee, product group). Explorer mode will let user select the view they wanted if all dimensions are available for selection.
Your transaction level data should not have aggregation levels in it. SAC will do the aggregation at different parent level.
Example below:

View 1

View 2

View 3

Visual format is not exactly like excel pivot or power BI. If you want exact same parent child visual format then you have to create custom hierarchies or import it.

Hope this helps.

Viewers - If you find above information helpful, feel free to up-vote.

Thanks,
Debjit

former_member637839
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks debjit.singha, I didn't know you could also change the dimension displayed in the table, but your screenshots show me I can do that by selecting or deselecting the 'Dimensions Title'. I'm not thrilled by the fact that I have to enter 'Explorer'-mode to get this done, but it's better than nothing and opens up a host of other possibilities as well. This will work for me, thanks again for the time and effort to explain this!

DebjitSingha
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

you are welcome.