cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Contextual Help for Custom UI5 application

0 Kudos

Hi,

We are looking to add contextual help for custom UI5 application. I searched through but there are hardly any documentation for the same. Can someone help me in getting the details on how to configure the same for custom applications.

Thanks,

Manoj

boghyon
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

The question is a bit too broad to answer. Could you explain first what you mean by "contextual help"? A plain native tooltip could be a contextual help. A popup on a help-icon click could be a contextual help. A right click menu could be a contextual help. What is a contextual help in your case?

0 Kudos

Hi Boghyon,

Thanks for your reply. For a standard SAP FIORI application, when the right configurations are made, a button with "?" symbol is enabled and clicking on it gives details about the application as a pop-up and field level details displayed in a carousel.

We want the same button with "?" symbol to open up the help document maintained for the custom application. We are not looking at a tooltip.

I read in one of the blogs that the "Contextual Help" is available only for standard apps and not for custom apps and was added into sap's roadmap. The transaction used for maintaining is SR13 and i need to explore further for custom applications. Can you please help me if this is even possible for custom apps. Below is the standard help document.

https://help.sap.com/viewer/cdc25c83b63e482586b31b8acd49cf2f/1709%20000/en-US/0f809556a5dd3d23e10000...

View Entire Topic
thalesvb
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

It is possible to create new content for Contextual Help (on Fiori is called Web Assistant), even adapt the standard ones to reflect your extensions on standard apps, but it has a associated costs. The SAP product for that is named Enable Now. At least this the only way I found on SAP portfolio while doing that same research as you, tracing back from 2015 until today, no other SAP product name popped out from this search.

My use case is the same as you, provide Help on UI5 apps, but with some other constraints that scraps out Enable Now. I'm implementing my own Contextual Help as a Launchpad Plugin (I didn't find any open project for that purpose that I could reuse/adapt).

Quick recap, either:

• Enable Now
  • 3rd party products (some keywords to find them are: context sensitive help fiori)
  • Implement your own

Best Regards

0 Kudos

Hello,

Thanks for your reply. This is a great information. I am exploring Enable Now and the decision to go with Enable Now will be taken after considering monetary challenges. Meanwhile, with the other options that we are trying to implement is use the Contextual Help provided by SAP. The data for the same is stored using transaction SR13 which i am exploring further, but it isn't straightforward.

Can you comment on the same? Below is the link for the same. What does this configuration do?

https://help.sap.com/viewer/cdc25c83b63e482586b31b8acd49cf2f/1709%20000/en-US/0f809556a5dd3d23e10000...

Thanks,

Manoj

gill367
Active Contributor

Hi Majoj,

The link you shared is also for SAP Enable now. For using enable now feature on the standard fiori apps, there is no cost involved. It is free to use. The configuration is for that only.

For building it for your custom apps, you need license.

Regards,

Sarbjeet Singh

thalesvb
Active Contributor

Hi manoj.raj, it is like sarbjeet.singh said: is to enable "Enable Now" content on Fiori Launchpad. I still call them "Official documentation" on conversations to avoid overgeneralize "Enable Now" term and also because it has the same purpose of Official Documentation from SAPGUI menu entry.

This configuration is the steps required to activate the Contextual Help on your installation (valid for both standard content or your own after licensing the tool, just one step changes from that guide: content source).

You'll find thoses steps a bit more detailed on blogs (maybe notes too, I didn't searched), like this one (you can jump to Overview of the steps to configure User Assistant section), yet this one refers to content stored on SAP servers instead of your own Content Server (SR13).

The target mapping on catalog is the keypoint to enable the "?" Contextual Help button on Fiori Launchpad and assign correct contents to your Launchpad.

I don't know your technical background, but most of those steps are commonly done by a Basis / Infrastructure person. you should seek someone to assist you on them:

• Install and configure WebDispatcher (it is possible that is already installed for Fiori, so only need to change configuration)
  • Install and configure Content Server
  • Create and assign a role to users
  • (maybe other that i oversight)

Best Regards

0 Kudos

thanks a lot Thales and Sarbjeet for the comments. It greatly helped us in deciding our next step of implementation. We might go with a third party plugin(search engine) to implement this. Still under discussion though. But great piece of information guys. Appreciate your responses.