cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Object could not be scheduled"

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

Our organisation has recently upgraded to WEBI 4.1 and we're now having issues with scheduled reports. We have approx. 25 variations of reports all with varying queries & prompts set up to run automatically and the majority of them will now fail their first instance with a reason of simply "Object could not be scheduled" whereas under the previous 3.1 architecture this was never an issue. I've attached a screenshot with an example of just one of the reports that this has effected.

What's strange is that in a lot of cases the instance will immediately re-run and be successful, which leads me to believe that there is nothing inherently wrong with the reports themselves, but then some reports will simply fail and that instance will not run again. Any ideas what could be the problem here?

Many thanks

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member198519
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

have a look at this SAP note:

1800231 - "Object could not be scheduled" error when scheduling reports

Cause

The error occurs in a clustered environment when the AdaptiveJobServer on one node can't communicate to the CMS on another node.  In this scenario a firewall existed between the two BI4 nodes and the resolution steps below describe how to configure BI4 to communicate across the firewall.

Resolution

If BI4 is installed on multiple nodes and a firewall exists in between these nodes, a number of configuration settings need to be made to allow for cross communication.

1. Within the CMC, set the "RequestPort"
    • In the CMC, each BI4 service will need to have a unique "Request Port" specified.  To do this:
    • Scroll down to the "Common Settings", uncheck the "auto assign" checkbox and set static port in the "Request Port" text box
  2. Within the CMC, assign a Hostname or IP
    • If the server has multiple network adapters or multiple IP addresses, you will also need to assign the hostname or IP to each BI4 service.
    • Within the same property pages above where you set the "Request Port", find the "Host Identifier" section and assign a hostname or IP address.
  3. Assign a port range for the AdaptiveJobServer child processes to use.
    • The AdaptiveJobServer opens child processes as reports are scheduled.  In order to ensure these child processes use a port you've opened on the firewall, edit the AdaptiveJobServer command line as follows:
    • Log into CMC > Servers > AdaptiveJobServer properties page > append the "Command Line Parameters" text box with:
    • -requestJSChildPorts 6470-6490
    • Ensure the number of ports in the range accounts for the same total number of "Maximum Concurrent Jobs" specified for each scheduling service of each AdaptiveJobServer.
    • IE. if you have 1 AdaptiveJobServer with both a Crystal Reports 2011 scheduling service and a Web Intelligence Scheduling Service and each is set to 10 concurrent jobs, then the port range will need to be 20 ports.
  4. Open the ports on the firewall
    • Each of these ports ("Request Port" and "-requestJSChildPorts") will need to be opened on the firewall between the two servers.
    • If not already, ensure the CMS port, 6400, and the SIA port, 6410, are allowed and open.
    • It would be easier from an administrative point of view to keep all ports consistent between the servers so only one set need to be opened at the firewall.
    • IE. Set the AJS on each server to use the same port.  Set the Connection Server on each server to use the same port, etc.
    • On the firewall, open the ports specified in the "Request Ports" and "-requestJSChildPorts" for inbound and outbound traffic to each IP and/or Hostname in the BI4 cluster.  This will ensure each service can talk to any remote service on the opposite node as long as the requestport is open on the firewall.
  5. Name Resolution
    • In some cases, you may need to define the local and remote hostname and IP to the /etc/hosts file on each server.
Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you. Turns out that we're having issues with our job servers talking to each other, potentially firewall related as the notes suggest. We are now investigating.

Thanks for the responses everyone.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nicholas,

It would be great if you drop a note here on how you got it resolved when you get it resolved eventually.

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

0 Kudos

Hi,

How did you find the faulty job server?

because in our cluster mode reports are failing randomly on both the nodes.

did you created a new job server? on both nodes?

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Saurabh.

It was one of our third party developers (of whom has greater control over the backend) who tested both of the job servers and identified that one of them was having trouble. As far as I can remember we only had the one server before we upgraded to 4.1 hence why the trouble started after we upgraded and the second node was introduced into the cluster. She then disabled the node causing the bother, allowing the original to continue working without issues.

Apologies if I haven't explained clearly, I don't know any more than this currently.

Thanks,

Nick

0 Kudos

HI,,

Recently I have upgraded the production BO from 4.1 sp6 to 4.2 sp2 and after the upgrade Now when i am scheduling the reports it is getting failed with error "object could not be scheduled"

I have added -requestJSChildPorts in the command line of AJS and opened the ports but issue still persists

Please update if you people have any answer

Thanks

0 Kudos

Hi Nicholas Broadhurst,

Did You resolved your issue cause I am facing the same issue and it is a Production Live server.

Please drop a note here that how did you resolve your problem.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Saurabh.

We solved the issue by disabling the faulty job server that was causing the issue, but the investigation into why it was causing the issue in the first place is still on-going. We think it could have potentially been due to firewall issues.

Thanks,

Nick

Former Member
0 Kudos

Another reason could be multiple NICs on the 4.1 machine. Disable the second NIC (Network Interface Card) and check.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Are all the failed instances sending O/P via mail and the successful instances not via mail. Then you have to configure email domain settings in AdaptiveJobServer on WebIntelligence Server in CMC.

Another good way is shown by Amit by altering number of retries allowed.

Regards

Niraj

amitrathi239
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

check the Logs in BO server for adaptive Job server.You will get more details on this in logs.

you can try to set following options at the time of report scheduling also.If report fail first time then again report schedule try to refresh the report again after set intervals.