cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

query transport

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Gurus,

The query design is different both in the development and production phase in my project. Right now my duty is to make changes and i.e. copy or transport the queries from production to development and make the necessary changes and then pass it on to Testing. But can you just tell me what are the methods of transporting from the production to development as the query names are the same in both the phases.

Any advice would be of great help. Still a novice in BW.

Thanks,

Anjali

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Anjali,

it seems a bit strange to me to transport from production to development but the way is quite easy. Go to the Transport Connection in the Admin Workbench and collect your queries. Choose the transport icon and assign a package and a transport request. You may need a new transport layer from your production system to a dummy system. Your basis should then be able to import it into your development system. Or you could do it via STMS. When importing it you need to make sure to overwrite originals and unconfirmed repairs.

Now you need to decide what your original system should be for the queries. If you want to make the development system original system you should change the original system and package via ST03. When you do the corrections they should be automatically collected into a Standard BEx request. Depending on the number of different scenarions you may want to create a BEx Request for your package only. After doing the changes you can transport the BEx request to Testing.

This is a very quick overview. Depending on your knowledge you will probably have detailed questions to the different transactions. Feel free to ask them.

As a general recommendation I suggest developing most of the query in your testing system directly if it contains a significant amount of data. The reason for not developing them in the Development system is that you start doing lots of transports to test changes you cannot test properly in dev becuase you lack significant data.

Best regards

Dirk

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Dirk,

Thanks for being so clear in your explanation. I still have to work on this and it might take a while before i come up with the questions you might have to face but as of now, great understanding. I wish someday i could be as cool and knowledgeable as you. I know its kind of weird to have differences in 2 different environments but ours is a live example and your idea of transporting to a testing phase sounds better. But need to try.

Thanks again,

Anjali

Former Member
0 Kudos

It doesn't sound really weird. In my first BW project the four project members including me spent half a day creating about 40 queries from production in our dev system again (because I deleted the queries accidentally in dev). So I have a good understanding that BW during development (with no live productive system) can turn into a great chaos of differences because you need to fix things quickly.

Best regards

Dirk

Answers (0)