cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is application server on 64-bit box and database on 32-bit box fine??

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi there, I'm new to the forum and to SAP and I have a very simple question:

For the dev environment we are going to install SAP Netweaver (plus ECC) into 64-bit Windows OS in Vmware and we are planning to use a redhat linux 32-bit (physical server - no Vmware) for the Oracle database 10.2.0.4 -

What do think, would that cause a problem or result in an unsopprted system, what I mean is the fact that the Application server is on 64-bit os and the database is on 32-bit os, would that be a problem?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> For the dev environment we are going to install SAP Netweaver (plus ECC) into 64-bit Windows OS in Vmware and we are planning to use a redhat linux 32-bit (physical server - no Vmware) for the Oracle database 10.2.0.4 -

>

> What do think, would that cause a problem or result in an unsopprted system, what I mean is the fact that the Application server is on 64-bit os and the database is on 32-bit os, would that be a problem?

No - this is technically not a problem.

Markus

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Manfred,

Agreed with comment of Eric as VMWare really uses alot of memory.

Cheers

Deepanshu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks to everyone for answering so promptly!

But you make me worry a little bit regarding the VMware performance, would you know if VMware is supported for SAP Netweaver 2004s in production environment? My assumption was it is.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Your sap server may run in a virtual environment but your productive oracle instance must not run under VMWare or XEN

-> Note 1173954 - Support of Oracle for VMWare and XEN

Regards,

ulf

Edited by: Ulf Brinkmeier on Feb 9, 2009 4:31 PM

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

It is supported - but "supported" does not mean it's a fast solution

Check

Note 1122388 - Linux: VMware ESX Server 3 configuration guideline

and also

Note 674851 - Virtualization on Windows

Markus

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> Your sap server may run in a virtual environment but your productive oracle instance must not run under VMWare or XEN

>

> -> Note 1173954 - Support of Oracle for VMWare and XEN

Yes, that's why his DB server is on Linux

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

yip, but linux can be run in a virtual server, i just wanted to be sure, that Manfred knew about the different gos and no-gos (though i think he did read that note before)

We run several systems under vmware, but when we need performance for live demos at our customers, we a) stop all other instances and assign as much physical memory as possible to the demo system or b) make a system copy to an real server. Personally, i would prefer a real server for a productive instance.

Edited by: Ulf Brinkmeier on Feb 9, 2009 6:05 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi ,

For productive instance it's never suggestable.

Cheers

Deepanshu

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> Personally, i would prefer a real server for a productive instance.

For high volume/load systems - yes, definitely.

We run a few production systems on Xen (using MaxDB) that are not that heavy loaded or where only a few users are working.

Markus

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

It will work, but, personally, I had a bad experience with VMware, it was slow and sluggish. other than that, it worked.