Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing Eclipse with ADT on a Mac

Vlad_Ghitulescu
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello!

Seeing Eclipse with ADT on the Mac in open SAP course on ABAP Unit Test makes me wonder: Could any of you help me with the installation? I tried and failed (even after downgrading the JAVA, as required by Eclipse-installer :-().

Any help will be appreciated 😉

Regards,
Vlad

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

pokrakam
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I haven't had any problems, but I never used any installer either.

Installed latest JRE from Oracle, download Eclipse (Java or Web Dev edition), unzip, drag over to applications and .. er, that's it.

You also need the SAP JavaGui installed - I'm running 7.5.

Vlad_Ghitulescu
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi, Mike!

As just posted on Eclipse-Forum (https://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php/m/1785746/#msg_1785746): Eclipse said my Java is too new and want the Java SE 6, and after downgrading Java it said to me that my JVM is too old:

Hmmm… I'll try it your way, with the newest JRE from Oracle and the latest Java Eclipse and report in a second.

Vlad_Ghitulescu
Participant
0 Kudos

I installed the newest Java and Eclipse said I still have a too old JVM.

So I uninstalled manually the newest Java AND the rest of the Java 6, installed the newest again and started the Eclipse installer.

Now I get the first screenshot of the previous comment again, saying me that my Java is too new! 😞

pokrakam
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I don’t have my laptop, but can post my version info next time I’m on it. I had no problems whatsoever. As mentioned I dont use any eclipse installer, just drag and drop.

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Hismayilov
Participant

it is better not to use Eclipse on MAC, you will spend major part of yout time to solve non SAP problems, suc updat issue. SAP is not able to provide real product for Eclipse. each time even with small update you will see milions of problems. even it is RAM killer, Speed Enemy

Vlad_Ghitulescu
Participant
0 Kudos

Huseyn, you must be right. I've had SO MUTCH TROUBLE that I cannot spend more time with it. I'd love to use it on a Mac but - as you said - there are so many problems and I'm not sure where to look first. Thanks anyway!

pokrakam
Active Contributor

OK I looked at your error message again and it's actually from the Eclipse installer, not from Eclipse itself. I am using JRE 1.8, straight download and install from java.com's default download page. As mentioned, I don't use the Eclipse installer either, just copy the package download to the applications folder.

I noticed my Eclipses were taking up over 3GB so just for fun I deleted them all and did a reinstall. Download new one from https://www.eclipse.org/downloads/eclipse-packages/ (I chose the "Eclipse IDE for JavaScript and Web Developers", but also successfully used the Java and Modelling packages)

Open DMG, drag over to applications, fired it up. The whole process took around 2.-3 minutes, it's downloading ADT as I write this.

Edit: Another tip is to get SAPGUI working first as that's the more sensitive to the Jva environment. Eclipse just works once that's OK. You can get it from OSS.

Vlad_Ghitulescu
Participant
0 Kudos

I couldn't wait, so at least I installed ADT 🙂

Where can I find the SAP GUI for JAVA 7.5 for macOS?

Vlad_Ghitulescu
Participant
0 Kudos

Solved!

As mentioned here

https://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php/t/198527/

the first error message is false and leads to a broken installment of Java 😞

The solution is to install the newest Java, and not the JRE but the JDK (with Net Beans).

After this Eclipse Oxygen 3 A installs as a charm. I'm to tired to install the SAP GUI, ADT etc. now, but I will tomorrow and report the results.