cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Infoobject as infoprovider

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

I have one new infoobject X which has texts enabled on it.So I need to load texts from Oracle DB source system for this infoobject.So I created Text datasource based on a view.

Now my questions are -

1.Inorder to load texts to an infoobject from source using dataloading,do we have to declare that infoobject as infoprovider?(The reason why I am asking this question is I coouldnot find this characteristic in Infoproviders list in RSA1 but I am able to find it only in Infoobjects list.I started to wonder if we have define infoobjects as infoproviders if we want to load text for that infoobject from source systems)

2.Lets say,I defined one object as infoobject.I want to define it as an infoprovider.I tried to rightclick on infoobject and see if there is any option to make it an infoprovider but I couldnot find any.we are in BI7.1 version.Any ideas how to make a characteristic that is defined as infoobject as an infoprovider?

3.what difference does it make if we define a characteristic as an Infoobject Vs Infoprovider?

Thanks.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member182470
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

1.Inorder to load texts to an infoobject from source using dataloading,do we have to declare that infoobject as infoprovider?

No, It's not required to make the Infoobject as Infoprovider to just load data. You can only make an Infoobject as Infoprovider if you want to create Query on it.

2.Lets say,I defined one object as infoobject.I want to define it as an infoprovider.I tried to rightclick on infoobject and see if there is any option to make it an infoprovider but I couldnot find any.we are in BI7.1 version.Any ideas how to make a characteristic that is defined as infoobject as an infoprovider?

You need to right click on Infoarea to see the option to make an Infoobject as Infoprovider.

3.what difference does it make if we define a characteristic as an Infoobject Vs Infoprovider?

Nothing much difference. This is a privilege given by SAP to use an Infoobject as Infoprovider for Queries.

Regards,

Suman

Former Member

don't completely agree with Suman...

1. it's indeed not required, but you can if you would like to (doesn't really matter whether you create queries on it or not)

2. in the Master data/texts tab - check "Character. is InfoProvider" and assign the right InfoArea

3. if you wish to use transformations and DTPs (iso transfer rules), you'll need to have the InfoObject defined as InfoProvider

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member188080
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Simon,

You have direct update and you have flexible updates for Infoobjects..

so in case of direct update u need not have update rule and u can directly assign datasource to Infoobject..

In case of flexible update u need to have Infoobject to be inserted as Infoprovider..

You also need to have update rule to update this IO as Infoprovider..

Thanks and regards

Kiran

former_member182226
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

1.If you have inserted Characteristics as Infoprovider, then it is not necessary that its only purpose to build query on it.

As replied by RB, if you want to load master data/Text then you have to have select "characteristic as Infoprovider" .

2.Select your relevant infoarea ->right click - Insert characteristics as InfoProvider-> select characteristics.

3. If you want to load master data/Text or create query directly on Infoobject/characteristics then you have to go for characteristics as infoprovider. e.g. 0customer, 0Comp_code etc.

when characteristics is only using as a field for DSO/Cube does not contains any master information then characteristics as an Infoobject option will be chosen(default option).

Regards,

Avinash