cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Future of HANA development?

trond65

Two of the most prominent mentors in the HANA development area, Thomas Jung and Rich Heilmann, have just been made redundant from SAP. This basically means SAP has lost two long-standing gurus in the ABAP/HANA space. What does this signal for HANA development, specifically XS/XSA? Does it imply, as some of us have been speculating, that XS/XSA is "dying"? If not, how can SAP possibly justify this move?

For all those of us who have followed SAP, and specifically SDN, for the past 20+ years, this is a worrying signal. I for one would love to hear from other SDN members what your thoughts are.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

ssurampally
Active Contributor

I can't believe the fact that, SAP let Thomas and Rich go., It is still an unanswered question, why !. Then the future of HANA native development is in a big confusion state at this moment, but what I understood from the recent few months, new feature developments are significantly happened in XS Advanced as on a Premise solution to many cloud platform options, for example, new CAPM (cloud Application programming model) in Cloud foundry has been generally available in XSA as on premise with nodejs and core data & services. Apart from Application development, even Datawarehousing scenarios(DWF) also generally made available in XSA, finally even the core database modeling with Calculation development has also on XSA with in the micro services architecture as CF does on Cloud. Then many more..

So with all these investments in XS Advanced, I hope SAP will not pull out entire XS Advanced from all the project use cases where it has been available now, but may be few..:) .

It will be really good, if a product expert from SAP provide a clarity on this confusion around, hoping to get that soon!!!

Thanks

Sreekanth

former_member182500
Contributor

SAP HANA native dev with XSA is dead. There are very few SAP-external jobs on the market, which implies barely any enterprise is deploying such solutions. Without such luminaries as Thomas and Rich to help grow and educate the developer pool there will be no community, dev or deployment.

Its either SAP with ABAP or get out of the SAP ecosystem.

w_k
Explorer
0 Kudos
So, is that why Thomas tweeted "looking for new opportunities hopefully getting back to my ABAP roots"?
woutdejong
Participant
0 Kudos

JP, that's a little too harsh. There are still good people around at SAP. Still, from the outside it appears pretty stupid to let Tom and Rich go. Even if SAP thinks HANA Native / XSA (HDI especially) is dead, then you put these smart guys to work on other stuff. (Would they refuse?) They laid some groundwork for Cloud Foundry already with XS (xsuaa etc), and SCP does not seem to be affected much, so why not put them over there?

w_k
Explorer

Hell has frozen over, that's how it feels. After the shock comes the worrying.

I have missed speculations on XS/XSA dying.

I can't find any information or justification on the "why" of this move.

Will it mean a destruction of investment for SAP customers?

0 Kudos

Absolutely no mention to XSA in the Teched 2019 agenda.

former_member182500
Contributor
0 Kudos

Sorry Wout, not sure what you are referring to by "a little too harsh" - that HANA native dev is dead? That's the truth, although no-one from SAP is brave enough to come out and say it. If anyone can share an up-to-date roadmap or other to say otherwise I'd love to see it.