Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BW to HANA Enterprise (No BW in future)

former_member197527
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello,

My client is having BW 7.3 on HANA. They do not want to continue with BW anymore, could be costs.

So they are looking for a viable HANA Migration for the EDW without BW in future. They might be having HANA enterprise and not yet sure about the plan.

But my query is - is it as simple as complete rebuild of all data models in HANA to avoid BW in future? How does it work?

All their reports, data needs to be intact and they are having more than one source systems.

TammyPowlas
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

On the surface, I am not sure that would work

Perhaps your client would consider Data Warehouse Cloud or HANA Cloud Services? See https://saphanacloudservices.com/ - it would depend on the requirements

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

RolandKramer
Active Contributor

Hello Sai

This wishful thinking was already at the beginning with the introduction of SAP HANA impossible, due to the complexity and functionality of the SAP BWoH or SAP BW/4HANA which the Solution was developed for. You cannot reprogramming the "luxury" of SAP BW into HANA or any other DB at all.

The best approach for you client is to upgrade to Version 7.50 BWoH and run the System for the next 6-8 Years or to the end of Maintenance. During this time, consider the conversion to BW/4HANA

Best Regards Roland

former_member197527
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Roland,

Thanks for the update. But customer wants to not use BW anymore and he is exploring options.

Plan is to first migrate to HANA and then to cloud in long term.

Even I was skeptical, but do we have any challenges of doing so? We anyways have multiple ERPs with BODS, and ECC as sources, cant we replicate the existing models into HANA Calc views as needed and pull in for reports? I understand because this would be at runtime, it would impact performance.

Am trying for some inputs on challenges if so in recommending BW4HANA but unable to.