cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Basic scrambling question....

0 Kudos

Sorry for such a basic question - but does the scrambling functionality maintain referential integrity across the selected set of tables?

For example - if I want to test out some sort of report that sums up total purchases by vendor by material...

If I total up the amounts in the unscrambled source system, and then moved the data out, and scrambled the vendor name, vendor id, material names & numbers... would I be able to run the same report in the test system, and still be able to check it against the original totals??

(to be able to do this, the scramble would have to essentially "translate" vendors and materials consistently, just masking the identities, as opposed to randomly assigning values across the different tables in the material master, po header, po lines, etc...)

The reason I ask is that I have customers that run completely seperate "classified" instances for certain customer projects, and they need to be able to take data from these instances, anonymize the information, and bring it into their non-classified systems for routine business activities, such as billing their customer, paying customer invoices, etc..  but the people in AR, Billing and paying vendor invoices.  However - those business people are not cleared for the classified project, and can't know the actual materials or people involved in the project!!

I'm just trying to figure out if using TDMS might be an option for them to pursue, instead of building custom ETLs.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am also new to TDMS but so far what I have understood is if you do not scramble the key fields like customer no. material no. ... which are used for refrential integrity you should be OK.

Now, do you really need to scrable those fields? Don't know your data security requirements but usually something like vendor no. needs less protection than perhaps vendor name and address.

Hope this helps.

0 Kudos

Tarek,

Unfortunately, even key fields are often required to be anonymized in classified scenarios...  (since knowing the "real" vendor can often give you hints on what is being worked on...

So, "How", do you ask, "...can you pay a vendor, if you don't know who he is?!?".

In this world, a dummy vendor "Classified ###" is often set up, paper checks cut and delivered by hand.  All very cloak & dagger, isn't it?!? 

former_member206552
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Jim,

i have not tried what you are asking before but i cannot see why this is not possible as you will need to create you own scrambling rules for that and which tables to scramble and this should be possible.

Stand-Alone-Scrambling

http://scn.sap.com/community/test-data-migration-server/blog/2013/04/01/create-stand-alone-scramblin...

Basic Time Slice

http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-41808

How to scramble data

https://websmp109.sap-ag.de/~sapidb/011000358700001109312011E/TDMS4_Scrambling.pdf

Hope it helps

Best Regards

Marius

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Jim,

TDMS exactly caters to your requirement. Example: If you chose to scramble vendor number then all the table-fields where the vendor number is used will be consistently scrambled across ERP. hence this will not effect your amount or any reporting calculations. TDMS offers standard content for material number, vendor number, name, address, customer number, name, address, personnel data. All these data are consistently scrambled.

You can also create your own scrambling rules based on your requirements.

Hope this answers your question.

Best Regards

Malthi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Malthi for clearing this up for us.

Regards