cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A document in KM is not getting deindexed

Former Member
0 Kudos

Why is a document in KM not deindexed even after its expiry date is reached ? Also reindexing does not help in this case. What could be the reason and how could it be deindexed ?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

anja_engelhardt2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Can someone suggest a way to manually deindex an individual document on portal ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Have you checked whether SAP notes 1538789 and/or 1520841 apply?

Have you checked that the time-dependent publishing services in KM have been configured and that they are running? The services have to be scheduled and running. See the periodic scheduled tasks in KM. Check also the Component Monitor under Knowledge Management. Under Services -> scheduler -> node you should find three TimeBasePublishing* services. Also make sure that your KM landscape is correctly configured, that the right nodes are defined as CM systems and that the same nodes are defined in the periodic tasks.

To deindex a single file, I don't know any other way except to move the file into a location not covered by the index/indexes.

You could remove permissions and service permissions on the file but depending on how the indexing service is configured and how principals are setup, the file might still get indexed. Now that I think of it, enabling approval (publishing) for the file and not approving it should prevent indexing of the file.

As mentioned, you could modify the default TREX filter default.tpl to exclude the file from indexing based on filename, type, content, etc.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Samuli, thanks for your response.Reindexing doesn't solve the issue. The expired document still contains the index.

Can you suggest of ways to de-index an expired document without triggering subscription change notification mail ?

As in if you are to put the document in some other folder, document deletion subscription mail would be triggered. I don't want that to happen. I just need to de-index the expired document so that it won't appear on enterprise search.

Also, can you please elaborate on this "you could modify the default TREX filter default.tpl to exclude the file from indexing based on filename, type, content, etc."

Former Member
0 Kudos

Can someone help in explaining how to work on custom property so as not to create index for a document ?

This is from (http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04s/helpdata/EN/46/5d5040b48a6913e10000000a1550b0/content.htm)

Excluding Individual Documents From Indexing

To exclude a specific document in a repository from indexing, you can create the index-content custom property for the document. Enter the value false. For Index Management Crawler, the Respect the ‘index-content’ Property parameter is activated by default for this. If index-content = false, the crawler searches the document for links, but does not pass it on to TREX for indexing.

Please explain step by step solution on where to make changes to make it work.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Oh, didn't know that there was such a custom property. To set the custom property, simply see the details for the file, select Settings -> Properties and switch to tab Custom. Then simply add the custom property and save.

Former Member
0 Kudos

No Samuli, it doesn't work that way. I have tried it. By the way to deindex a document, there is another way. Activate the hidden property for the document under Details>Settings> Properties>System and the index is removed.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Setting the custom property won't deindex the file but setting it will avoid the document to be indexed, doesn't it? I don't have a TREX to test with.

Doesn't setting the Hidden property for the file hide it also from users? Is that what you want?

duncanspeidel
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Janani,

Why would a document with an expiry date be deindex?  Someone might still want to search for the document.  The document will be deindexed when you delete it.  I suspect you can create a custom search that filters out expired documents.  Something like active=true.  Not sure on the name of the property that sets the document to expired or I'd provide a more precise answer. 

Best regards,

Duncan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Duncan,

Thanks for your reply. But I think it is the standard functionality which relates Time based publishing(lifetime validity) and indexing. I have raised an OSS message for the same, 1021714. You can refer to it for replication steps and more details on the issue.

Cheers,

Janani