Technology Blogs by SAP
Learn how to extend and personalize SAP applications. Follow the SAP technology blog for insights into SAP BTP, ABAP, SAP Analytics Cloud, SAP HANA, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
62 Comments
matt_steiner
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Awesome!!!

christian_paulus
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Thanks Stoyan, this helped a lot to understand the current situation in regards to native HANA development on HANA Cloud. This is good stuff and I will surely try it out myself.

Do your plans include lifecycle aspects like import/export of HANA Delivery Units to my schema/repo package?

Rui-Nogueira
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Thanks a lot Stoyan for sharing this! These are great news!!

I'll be on summer vacation from next week on and will take this as an opportunity to dive into the SAP HANA Studio and see how it can talk to my SAP HANA Cloud Platform account. Together with the newly available Mac version of the SAP HANA Studio Developer Edition I'll be completely prepared :smile:

Best,

Rui

emil_aleksandrov
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Christian,

Yes, we are looking into SAP HANA import/export DU functionality. As this is currently functionality that requires Administrative privileges we are thinking how to wrap it and enable it for HANA Cloud users.

Best regards,

Emil

Former Member
0 Kudos

I tried the above tutorial. But got stuck at one place i.e. while testing the remote servlet access. I have also authorized my user i.e. - p1678012516trial with the role that I specified in web.xml of application. And when I am trying to login with this user while accessing the servlet it is not authenticating. The password that I am using is same as that of I use to login in SAP HANA Cloud Service. Repeated trial ended up in following error. Please help in getting out of this problem. I used FORM based authentication also in place of BASIC and the result was same.

HTTP Status 403 - Access to the requested resource has been denied

type Status report

message Access to the requested resource has been denied

description Access to the specified resource has been forbidden.

SAP

dimitar_tenev
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Manoj,

"p1678012516trial" is yout account id. Do assign the role "jdbc_remote_access_admin" to your user id "p1678012516".

Best regards,

Dimitar

MRocha_SAP
Associate
Associate
0 Kudos

Hi Dimitar,

I got the same error as Manoj describe and can´t assign the role to user "i2232211", but only to the user "i2232211trial".

Do you have any other idea?

Best,

Marcos

former_member187729
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Marcos,

actually you are assigning role "jdbc_remote_access_admin" from application "hihana" which is part of account "i2232211trial" to the user "i2232211". After that you have to login with "i2232211", not with "i2232211trial".

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Stoyan,

It worked.

Thanks for the help.

architectSAP
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Stoyan,

thank you for this excellent blog.

We got easily to a servelt that seems to work through the browser (the Request URL: https://hihanas000XXXXXXXtrial.hanatrial.ondemand.com/dbaccess-beta-0.3.0/ and Driver URL: jdbc:remotedb:https://hihanas000XXXXXXXtrial.hanatrial.ondemand.com:443/dbaccess-beta-0.3.0/RemotingServlet are slightly different from your blog but correct according to help.sap.com).

However SAP HANA Studio fails to connect with the message "An exception stack trace is not available."

Would you know a way to get to the root cause of this issue?

Very best regards and many thanks in advance

former_member187729
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Frank,

I noticed that Remote Access Tool documentation is changed. I will adapt the blog accordingly.

About error you got, it is hard to find out what is wrong from this message :smile:

To get more information do the following:

1. Add your Remote System to the SAP HANA Studio

2. Got to <workspace forlder>\.metadata and see what was lastly written in .log file

Best regards

Stoyan

architectSAP
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thank you Stoyan.

the .log file says

!ENTRY com.sap.ndb.studio.navigator 4 1 2013-08-19 11:25:25.982

!MESSAGE [hihanas0007397050trial https://hihanas000XXXXXXXtrial.hanatrial.ondemand.com:443/dbaccess-beta-0.3.0/remotingservlet 00 (S0007397050)] Error when refreshing system

!SUBENTRY 1 com.sap.ndb.studio.navigator 4 0 2013-08-19 11:25:25.982

!MESSAGE SAPControl request failed

!STACK 0

com.sap.ndb.studio.sapcontrol.SAPControlException: SAPControl request failed

at com.sap.ndb.studio.sapcontrol.operations.SAPControlOperation.execute(SAPControlOperation.java:118)

at com.sap.ndb.studio.sapcontrol.SAPControl.getInstanceProperties(SAPControl.java:507)

at com.sap.ndb.studio.sapcontrol.SAPControl.collectProperties(SAPControl.java:583)

at com.sap.ndb.studio.sapcontrol.SAPControl.open(SAPControl.java:372)

at com.sap.ndb.studio.sapcontrol.SAPControlManager.getSAPControl(SAPControlManager.java:130)

at com.sap.ndb.studio.sapcontrol.SAPControlManager.getSAPControl(SAPControlManager.java:82)

at com.sap.ndb.studio.sapcontrol.SAPControlManager.needCredentials(SAPControlManager.java:55)

at com.sap.ndb.studio.navigator.operations.SAPSystemObjectUpdate.executeTrySAPControl(SAPSystemObjectUpdate.java:123)

at com.sap.ndb.studio.navigator.operations.SAPSystemObjectUpdate.execute(SAPSystemObjectUpdate.java:69)

at com.sap.ndb.studio.navigator.operations.UpdateSAPSystemOperation.execute(UpdateSAPSystemOperation.java:72)

at com.sap.ndb.studio.datamodel.controler.DataModelOperationJob.run(DataModelOperationJob.java:70)

at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.Worker.run(Worker.java:53)

Caused by: com.sun.xml.internal.messaging.saaj.SOAPExceptionImpl: Bad URL: Invalid authority field: [https:

at com.sun.xml.internal.messaging.saaj.client.p2p.HttpSOAPConnection.call(Unknown Source)

at com.sap.ndb.studio.sapcontrol.operations.SAPControlOperation.execute(SAPControlOperation.java:94)

... 11 more

!SUBENTRY 1 com.sap.ndb.studio.navigator 4 4 2013-08-19 11:25:25.982

!MESSAGE Internal error

!STACK 0

Many thanks in advance again

Frank

former_member187729
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Frank,

the exception you have posted is "expected" behavior, because this is one of the Remote Access Tool limitations - SAP Control is not supported.

Can you please check your proxy settings - http and https proxies should be configured (if you are behind proxy).

Best regards

Stoyan

architectSAP
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Stoyan,

strangely the access works intermittedly. However there is always a red cross on the system, even when the connection works and the exception is

com.sap.ndb.studio.jdbc.JDBCConnectionStatus: In method getAccessdata: The password must be specified.

Do you have any idea where this might come from?

Very best regards and many thanks in advance again

Frank

former_member214894
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Hi Stoyan,

I have the below problem in Remote Database Access tool even after proxy configuration.

Could not open connection to 'hihanap1937023077trial https://hihanap1937023077trial.hanatrial.ondemand.com:443/dbaccess-beta-0.3.0/remotingservlet 00'

java.util.concurrent.ExecutionException: com.sap.ndb.studio.jdbc.JDBCConnectionStatus: Could not connect: 401 Unauthorized

any idea how to fix this?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Regards,

Sampath.

former_member181999
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

Great read.. indeed, very helpful...

apoorv_bhargava2
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Thanks Stoyan for sharing this very helpful blog.

I am relatively new to HANA Cloud world and curious to understand the difference between this servlet approach vs XSJS approach.

In past, I used XSJS to connect to data base and get the data from tables which seems to similar to this servlet approach.

It would be very helpful if you share some info o this

former_member187729
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Subramaniam,

there are 2 things that can be wrong:

1. You have not assigned "jdbc_remote_access_admin role to your users as described in https://help.hana.ondemand.com/help/frameset.htm?cb437d5c3eed4742b42d78328917493f.html

2. During login your are not using your <username>, but <username>trial.

best regards

Stoyan

former_member187729
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Frank,

the red cross that you see on the system is some known limitation - because SAP Control is not working. But this in no way will stop you working as usual with your db schema and repository.

As Remote Access Tool is in beta, it has some limitations - as the one you have noticed. Currently will are working on new connectivity model that will fill all the gaps you see while working with Remote Access Tool.

former_member214894
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Thanks a lot Stoyan.

Issue is fixed now.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you very much for the useful information. it does really gave me indepth idea of hana modelling in cloud.

chandra

architectSAP
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Stoyan,

SAP HANA Studio does not show a _SYS_BIC schema but only a SYS and a _SYS_REPO for my SAP HANA Cloud system. Therefore I cannot find my generated column view.

Thank you very much for your help in advance again

Frank

former_member187729
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Frank,

and you have successfully executed CALL "HCP"."HCP_GRANT_SELECT_ON_ACTIVATED_OBJECTS"?

architectSAP
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Stoyan,

yes, this got executed successfully. Should that have created the _SYS_BIC schema?

Best regards

Frank

former_member214968
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Hello SAP HANA Team,

We are using SAP HANA Instance on Cloud Share. We are using windows platform for migrating source system (SQL Server 2008) to target system SAP HANA. But, for the last 3 days we are facing connection issues on Cloud share instance. We are not able to connect Cloud Share. So, we lost our production for the last 3 days.

How to resolve the connection issues from Cloud Share to SAP HANA?

Looking for best optimized solution.

Best Regards,

Praveen Kodi

0 Kudos

Hi Apoorv,

There are some similarities in XSJS and JAVA Servlets.

In both cases you can connect to the DB and expose your business logic as a serivce in the web.

The difference is in the setup - with XS you use only HANA as dev and runtime environment and you don't need additional servers. Taking in mind the locallity of the XS Engine in the HANA DB you can expect also better berformance for your HANA Native applications. From the other hand side JAVA applications are far more powerful when it comes to integration with other systems and consumption of external services due to the various libraries available for that.

Note that XS applications will be supported in the SAP HANA Cloud soon. We are currently working on that.

Best Regards

Jordan

former_member187729
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Frank,

after execution of this procedure you should be able to see a column view in _SYS_BIC schema and be able to select data from it.

Can you tell me what is the package name in which you have created the calculation view?

best regards

Stoyan

architectSAP
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Stoyan,

we started from scratch and observed the following:

1. When trying to activate calculation view SO_CV, SAP HANA Studio reports "There are no inactive objects in your workspace to be activated"
  2. When running "ALL "HCP"."HCP_GRANT_SELECT_ON_ACTIVATED_OBJECTS" the result is "Statement 'CALL "HCP"."HCP_GRANT_SELECT_ON_ACTIVATED_OBJECTS"' successfully executed in 430 ms 173 µs  (server processing time: 0 ms 0 µs) - Rows Affected: 0

Are we missing something?

Very best regards

Frank

0 Kudos

Hi Praveen,

Cloud Share Platform is not directly related to the SAP HANA Cloud.

Unfortunatelly the names are getting similar and this can easily confuse you.

In few words: Cloud Share, together with Amazon Web Services are providing IaaS, they give you a virtual image with pre-installed HANA DB.

SAP HANA Cloud is PaaS where you can consume some of the existing Cloud services like the Document Service. You can create and run also Java Applications, it's not just the HANA DB Instance.

johannes-haasen
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Hi Stoyan,

thanks for this great blog!

Is there any chance to create analytic views etc. on the neo.ondemand.com landscape?

Prajesh
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello Stoyan,

can we use this for PROD landscape (neo.ondemand.com) with own account? I tried to include the jar file to my application and deployed it in the server. But I couldn't find even the authorization role in the account page at my application level (role was included in the web.xml).

emil_aleksandrov
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Johannes,

For internal landscape as neo.ondemand.com you can already use the new tunnel connectivity and as well option to build and run HANA XS application.

You can check internal documentation at https://wiki.wdf.sap.corp/wiki/display/NDW/Managing+Schemas and https://wiki.wdf.sap.corp/wiki/display/NDW/Database+Tunnel

Please send internal email for additional help for neo.ondemand.com landscape.

Best regards,

Emil

emil_aleksandrov
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Prajesh,

Please see my reply to Johannes.

Thanks,

Emil

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jordan,

As a part of the support of HANA native development on the cloud, will there be support for exposing OData services from the HANA Cloud tables? If yes, there two advantages I can think of.

1. We would save a lot of development effort if we are able to use OData services with SAP UI5.
  2. We might be able to deploy the same application on HANA One or HANA Cloud with minor (if any) changes.

Can you please let us know if SAP planning for OData from HANA db tables on HCP?

Regards

Ajay

Ashok_KumarM
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Stoyan,

Since the cloud platform is on top of HANA, can I access the HANA XS engine from cloud platform?

If yes, could you please share some information?

Best Regards,

Ashok.

Ashok_KumarM
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Jordon,

Please give some information on accessing HANA XS inside cloud platform.

Best Regards,

Ashok.

0 Kudos

Hi Ajay,

The plan is to enable HANA XS Development and to support more or less all features of HANA including OData Services.

Deploying applications on SAP HANA Cloud will have some specifics though.

For the beginning you will not be able to import DUs directly in HANA but will have to use HANA Development Perspective in the Studio and activate your projects from there.

Let's wait for the official delivery. It will come with the appropriate documentation.

Best Regards

Jordan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jordan,

This is good news. Can you please let know how long it might take for SAP to release this?Even an approximate indicator regarding the timeline would help.

Regards

Ajay

emil_aleksandrov
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Ajay,

The first version of how you can build and run HANA XS application in SAP HANA Cloud will come within weeks on TRIAL landscape. We will update this blog as well.

Best regards,

Emil

former_member187729
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Ashok,

currently this functionality is available on our internal landscape PROD(neo.ondemand.com).

Emil Alexandrov have put links for the documentation in his comment above.

Stoyan

Former Member
0 Kudos

AWESOME and Very Interesting.

Thanks For sharing with Detail Steps

Regards,
Giri

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Frank,

I have the same problem. Did you find any solution for it?

Thanks,

Ruiyun

former_member187729
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Ruiyun,

can you send me a private message with your account name, so I can take a look. Thanks.

br

Stoyan

Former Member
0 Kudos

My account name is p1940151679trial.

Thank you, Stoyan!

bence_toth
Employee
Employee

Hi,

I had the same issue with Studio v58. As I am an SAP employee I could upgrade Studio to the latest build v69.

It has solved both problems:

- Popup from "inactive objects" has disappeared

- "HCP_GRANT_SELECT_ON_ACTIVATED_OBJECTS" has worked, _SYS_BIC schema & views are visible.

IMO: Upgrade to latest available build from SDN (v60)

Former Member
0 Kudos

how to connect to db from hana studio using driver url.I have remote servlet running.

0 Kudos

Hi Stoyan

I tried the above tutorial. I'm able to activate the calculation view and see the result of the SELECT query from HANA Studio, however, I am getting a 404 "Requested resource not found" error on running the application. Am I missing something?

TIA

former_member183031
Participant
0 Kudos

what is the solution for known limitation

• Data Preview menu is not working from the SAP HANA Modeler or the SAP HANA Development perspective

• as i am facing that for Attribute view while doing data privew, it says either project is not shared or your not connected to the DB.

• Connection is there, i ahve crosschecked for same.

• Any comments on this?
vimadaan
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am having productive instance on hana.ondemand.com. I am using both the options HANA studio and DB tunnel to connect to the HANA DB on Cloud.

It is possible to open the DB tunnel in background. We are integrating client tools with HANA DB on Cloud. Command Promt looks odd to the users and not all the users have Studio installed on their local machine. I saw new open-db-tunnel has background option but it is not working for me. Please help.

Thanks!

Vikas

Former Member
0 Kudos

Great Source for beginners