Technology Blogs by SAP
Learn how to extend and personalize SAP applications. Follow the SAP technology blog for insights into SAP BTP, ABAP, SAP Analytics Cloud, SAP HANA, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hi Autodidact,

This blog is for enthusiastic people who want to learn to create HDI container type Database using SAP WEB IDE and deploy the same in Cloud Foundry and can use SAP WEB IDE to perform DML/DDL operations on DB.

We will go through step by step processes to achieve the same.

Pre-requisites required:-

Accounts and infrastructure:-

1. SAP Cloud platform Cloud Foundry account.

2. SAP Web Ide Full stack service enabled.

Skills:-

1. Basic knowledge of Cloud Foundry and SAP Cloud Platform.

2. Basic knowledge of SQL.

Let's start:

Login into Cockpit and navigate to your trial account and then to services and then open SAP WEB IDE full stack.

Click on SAP Web IDE Full -Stack grid and then "Go to Service" link.

It will navigate to SAP web ide in that select my workbench which will navigate you to editor page where you start creating a project as below.

Create an MTAR project from the project template

Enter Basic details

It will create a project folder with the mta.yaml file.

Create a DB module inside the project. as shown below.

We are trying to create a DB for storing employee and their role details.

Enter basic details.

This will create a folder named Employee, Now create a new file named cdsAtrifcat, under src as mentioned below.
namespace FirstFullStackApp.Employee;

context cdsArtifact {

/*@@layout{"layoutInfo":{"x":32,"y":121.5}}*/
entity employeeDetails {
key EMPLOYEE_ID : String(10) not null;
DESCRIPTION : String(50) not null;
DEPARTMENT : String(20);
EMPLOYEE_NAME : String(50) not null;
association : association[1, 1..*] to cdsArtifact.roleEnrollments { EMPLOYEE_ID };
};

/*@@layout{"layoutInfo":{"x":-444,"y":105.5}}*/
entity roleEnrollments {
key EMPLOYEE_ID : String(20) not null;
key ROLE_ID : String(20) not null;
ROLE_NAME : String(20) not null;
EMPLOYEE_NAME : String(50) not null;
EMAIL : String(40) not null;
};
};

Create a new file named employeeDetails.hdbtabledata
{

"format_version": 1,

"imports":

[ {

"target_table" : "FirstFullStackApp.Employee::cdsArtifact.employeeDetails",

"source_data" : { "data_type" : "CSV", "file_name" : "FirstFullStackApp.Employee::employeeDetails.csv", "has_header" : false },

"import_settings" : { "import_columns" : ["EMPLOYEE_ID","DESCRIPTION","EMPLOYEE_NAME" ] },

"column_mappings" : {"EMPLOYEE_ID" : 1,"DESCRIPTION" : 2,"EMPLOYEE_NAME" : 3}

}

]

}

Create a file named roleEnrollments.hdbtabledata
{

"format_version": 1,

"imports":

[ {

"target_table" : "FirstFullStackApp.Employee::cdsArtifact.roleEnrollments",

"source_data" : { "data_type" : "CSV", "file_name" : "FirstFullStackApp.Employee::roleEnrollments.csv", "has_header" : false },

"import_settings" : { "import_columns" : ["EMPLOYEE_ID", "ROLE_ID", "ROLE_NAME","EMPLOYEE_NAME","EMAIL"] },

"column_mappings" : {"EMPLOYEE_ID": 1, "ROLE_ID" : 2, "ROLE_NAME" : 3,"EMPLOYEE_NAME" :4,"EMAIL" :5}

}

]

}

Now for above-created tables, we will create data by using CSV file as shown below under the src folder.

Create employeeDetails.csv
"E100","desc1","Arun"
"E101","desc2","Anand"
"E102","desc3","Ram"
"E103","desc4","Ananya"

Create roleEnrollments.csv
"E100","J5136","JavaCodes","Arun","arun.rage@sap.com"
"E101","J5137","BusinessAnaylist","Anand","anand.kista@sap.com"
"E102","J5138","Designer","Ram","ram.raja@sap.com"
"E103","J5139","Fresher","Ananya",”ananya.sudheer@sap.com”

Folder structure will look like this

Right click on Project (FirstFullStackApp) and navigate to project setting to install cloud Foundry builder as shown below. This will help us to build and deploy our DB module to Cloud Foundry further.

Click on "install builder" button

Note: If you find default settings are not present or not as per your cloud Foundry trial account in the cockpit, then from your trail account space you can get the required API endpoint details and paste the same here and click on build installer button.

Once the builder is installed successfully click on the save button.

Now right click on Employee (DB module folder) and build it as shown below.

Once the build is successful, In cockpit->cloud foundry-> space check for the deployed DB module

Check for instance created.

Now your HDI container type DB is ready in Cloud Foundry. We can access it in another module if required by using data service.

Below are the steps to create OData service.

Create a Nodejs module.

Create service.xsodata under lib/xsodata/service.xsodata
service  
{

"FirstFullStackApp.Employee::cdsArtifact.employeeDetails" as "employeeDetails" navigates ("role_Enrollments" as "roleEnrollments");
"FirstFullStackApp.Employee::cdsArtifact.roleEnrollments" as "roleEnrollments" ;
association "role_Enrollments" principal "employeeDetails"("EMPLOYEE_ID")
multiplicity "1" dependent "roleEnrollments"("EMPLOYEE_ID") multiplicity "*";

}

In MTA.yaml file add HDI as required for Odatajs

Build Odatajs module with cloud Foundry setting to the project.

Once build is successful then Run the application as Nodejs Application.

Once the application started successfully, we can check the metadata.

replace index.js in the URL from the browser it opened after running successfully, with  /xsodata/service.xsodata/$metadata.

By using this URL we can create "Destination" in cloud Foundry which can be used further in other modules.

if you are not willing to use OData service then you can skip the step of the creation of Odata module itself and directly navigate to " Accessing DB explorer " and check for tables as shown below.

Accessing DB from SAP WEB IDE.

This will add DB explorer to you SAP Web IDE. Now you can see DB icon on the left side of the screen.

Click on the icon--> then click on "+" symbol where can add your DB.

Select the container and click on OK.

Onclick of tables in this list will list down all the tables available. Right click on the respective table and open data will display the data present inside tables.

Top right corner "SQL" image "on click" will open an editor where you can execute SQL queries.

Congratulations!!, Now your HDI type DB to ready in Cloud Foundry. You can use this further in UI or any other modules with the help of Odata service if required.
11 Comments
durgaprasanth_vemula
Participant
0 Kudos
Hi,

In SAP  Cloud Foundry i have two services i.e SAP HANA Schemas & HDI Container and SAP Hana Service as per your blog you are using the service SAP HANA Schemas & HDI Container but my question if already i have table and data in SAP Hana Service and how to get those data in Webide by creating Multi Target project.

In the Documentation of the Service SAP HANA schemas & HDI containers it is mentioned that The SAP HANA schemas & HDI containers service is part of the SAP HANA service.

But my question is that i  already have table and data in SAP Hana Service and how to get those data in Webide by creating Multi Target project and we can data from the table in the SAP HANA service through SAP HANA schemas & HDI containers?
lucasrigo
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos
Hi Sushma,

my question is in the same line as Durga's. I have a HANA Service (service: hana-db, plan: enterprise) and I would like that my HDI containers are created inside this service. Since it's a HANA 2.0 database, it should support the creation of HDI containers inside it.
Is this possible?

In the tutorials you pasted above (https://developers.sap.com/tutorials/haas-dm-create-db-mta.html), it tells to use the HDI service (service: hana, plan: hdi-shared) and then replicate the data to the HAAS database.

Thanks,

Lucas
loganathanc
Participant
0 Kudos
Hi Sushma Kudum,

Nice blog.

I am facing an error. Could you please tell me why that error is occurring. I have done same as your blog. But while building i am getting following error.

10:22:21 AM (Provision) Could not create the 'FirstFullstackApp-hdiEmployee-P194qJeAJ7Fl6kMOVuji' instance of the 'hanatrial' service type for the 'hdi_Employee' resource. CF-NotAuthorized(10003): You are not authorized to perform the requested action

10:22:21 AM (Provision) Provision fail since one of the provision tasks finished with error.

10:22:21 AM (Executor) The "task for hdb build" provision finished with an error: Provision failed. See console for more details.

10:22:21 AM (HDB) Build of /FirstFullstackApp/Employee failed due to Provision failed. See console for more details..

ssurampally
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
Hi Lucas, HDI container schema is always inside the HANA instance which is associated with your sub-account. But HDI containers are isolated to your HANA database schema. if you wanted to access HANA db objects inside Webi IDE HANA for HDI development, you will need to create an user provided service and then create synonyms.

So the process explained the developer tutorials is, Extract or replicate the data into HANA database, then access that in HDI containers using synonyms. It does not have to be in the same way, you can directly load or replicate the data into HDI container schema objects and use them as local objects.
lucasrigo
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos
Hi Sreekanth,

The problem I had is that my account only had entitlement for the hana-db service. The hdi-shared was not enabled.

Once I managed to enable hdi-shared, the HDI containers were created inside my HANA database provided by the hana-db service.

In short, to use HDI Containers in a hana-db service it's also needed the hdi-shared service.
0 Kudos
Hello Lucas,

How you handled and were able to create HDI containers inside your HaaS? Would you mind sharing the how-to?

Thank you very much in advanced.
takaobaltazar
Explorer
0 Kudos
Hi Sushma Kudum,

Thanks for your Great Blog on how to create HDI Container type DB in SAP Web IDE of Cloud Foundry.

I tried to follow your steps, and during the process of creating "SAP Hana Database Module" in SAP Web IDE Full stack service of an MTA project template, I encountered an error stating :             "There is no database available. Ensure that you have a database available in space 'dev' within organization 'cde6cedatrial'"

Full Details of error:

9:26:07 PM (Provision) Could not create the 'FullStackApp-hdiEmployee4-P1942284DTjEdLD2CcRd/aG4' instance of the 'hana' service type for the 'hdi_Employee_4' resource. CF-ServiceBrokerRequestRejected(10001): Service broker error: Service broker hana-broker failed with: Can not create service instance 'FullStackApp-hdiEmployee4-P1942284DTjEdLD2CcRd/aG4': There is no database available. Ensure that you have a database available in space 'dev' within organization 'cde6cedatrial'.

I am using a trial account in SAP Cloud Platform of Cloud Foundry.

Thanks,

Takao
takaobaltazar
Explorer
0 Kudos
Hi loganathanchinnasamy,

Are you using Trial Account?
0 Kudos
My Issue was resolved by switching from EU to US region of Cloud Foundry Trial account, and creating a SAP Hana Cloud database.
loganathanc
Participant
0 Kudos
Hi takaobaltazar

Yes i am using Trial account.