Technology Blogs by SAP
Learn how to extend and personalize SAP applications. Follow the SAP technology blog for insights into SAP BTP, ABAP, SAP Analytics Cloud, SAP HANA, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Andre_Fischer
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
Update history:

•  12.11.2019 - Added a "What's new section"

•  03.10.2020 - New screen shots showing the new "Booster"

•  28.01.2021 - Changed the product name to SAP Business Technology Platform ABAP Environment

You have asked. We have listened.

Since SAP TechEd 2019 in Las Vegas the long awaited trial version of the SAP Cloud Platform, ABAP Environment is now available. Everybody can now get their hands dirty and can try out, for example the new ABAP RESTful Programming Model.

What do you need as prerequisites ?

Where do I find ABAP trial ?

The ABAP trial is part of the Cloud Foundry trial and can be easily accessed via the SAP BTP trial access https://cockpit.hanatrial.ondemand.com in just 3 steps.

1. Click on Enter Your Trial Account.

2. Click on Boosters in the menu on the left hand side

3. Choose the tile Prepare an Account for ABAP Trial and follow the wizard

For a detailed step-by-step description check out our Onboarding Tutorial.

A short description of the onboarding process can also be found in the SAP Online Help.

What are the Rules of the Game ?

This trial is a Shared Offering. Opposed to other trial offerings in SAP BTP this is a shared trial offering. Trial users share an instance of the same backend system. As in an on premise ABAP development system the content is not separated which means you are able to see and change all objects that other developers have created. And they can see and change the objects that you have developed. As a result we ask you to be careful when editing objects. So you should always be sure to replace the placeholders ### provided in our tutorials (e.g.zcl_generate_travel_data_###) with an unused 3-digit number or 3-character combination.

It's for educational purposes only. The system may only be used to educate yourself. You must not use it for any other purposes.

It has a limited lifetime. The total lifetime of the shared ABAP trial system is bound to the lifetime of your trial account in the Cloud Foundry environment.  A trial account in the Cloud Foundry environment has a default period of utilization of 30 days. You can extend the trial period to a maximum of 90 days, after which your account is automatically deleted. Before the end of the maximum usage period is reached you will see the following information.

After your trial account has been deleted, you can create a new trial account in the Cloud Foundry environment, unless you would like to purchase an enterprise account as described in the SAP Online Help.

What is in that box and how can I import code?

For your convenience we have preinstalled the Flight Reference Scenario for the ABAP RESTful Programming Model. So no need for you to install it again. The Flight Reference Scenario provides sample data and services as well as legacy business logic to get familiar with the ABAP RESTful Programming Model. You can check out the end-to-end scenarios or build your own app based on the reference scenario and sample data.

As described in Use abapGit to Transform ABAP Source Code to the Cloud you can also import your own code into the trial system. This is possible using the abapGit client that comes with the ABAP Development Tools. But remember, this is a shared trial, so you must not upload anything beside your own demo code.

Though it is not possible to use the destination service and on premise connectivity (see section Known limitations) I have described a workaround to call remote OData services in a blog (see section Related blogs)

What should I do if I have a question or an issue ?

If you have questions or if you are stuck with something you can post your problem in the Q&A section of SCN using the tag SAP Cloud Platform, ABAP environment | SAP | SAP Blogs .

Known limitations

Due to the shared trial approach, the following features are limited:

• Limited access to the apps of the administrator's SAP Fiori Launchpad

• No apps for Identity and Access Management (IAM)

• No apps for Communication Management

• No app for Software Component Lifecycle

• No support for custom Identity Provider (IdP)

Most important limitations that result from the technical limitations above:

• No usage of Destination Service

• No usage of On Premise Connectivity

• Business Roles can't be created nor assigned

• Custom Authorization Objects & Fields can't be used

Related blogs

Where do I find further information ?

Whats's new?

• All trial systems are continously being upgraded to the latest release

• As regions you can now choose

• US East (VA) in Amazon Web Services (AWS) or

• Singapore in Azure

64 Comments
SyambabuAllu
Contributor
0 Kudos
Hi Andre,

I have tried it,Nice experience with SAP RAP.?

Thank you,

Syam
Paras_AU
Participant
0 Kudos

Although, i have submitted a question… on the link above.., I receive this error abruptly while attempting to use the clound foundry trial.., in a similar error message received earlier , it conveyed that Global account missing…, could all this be an issue with my trial user set up on SAP Cloud Platform ? ... how to get it fixed ?

please advice…

GK817
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
Great news Andre! Since steampunk is available on trial now, I am expecting lots of experiments and lots of learning as well!. Thanks.
jayakumarkb_81
Participant
0 Kudos
Thanks for enabling. A fantastic playground  !!!

Created my first object in ABAP Cloud Platform.

But the login page shows "This program cannot display the web page " while reconnecting again after some time.

Thanks

Jay

Andre_Fischer
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
Please post this question here: https://answers.sap.com/questions/ask.html and add more details such as a screen shot there.
Andre_Fischer
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos
I checked as also gaurav.karkara3 did that there is no general issue to create CF trial and responded to your post in the Q&A section.
Andre_Fischer
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos
I got the confirmation from my colleagues that the issue that caused the problem in your specific case has been resolved and that you can simply access the trial home page and follow the same process / steps described in our onboarding tutorial.
Devraj
Active Participant
0 Kudos
This is one of the best trial offerings since HANA Express edition.  All of us are so looking forward to it. I am suprised that this has not gone viral yet.
Astashonok
Participant
0 Kudos

I have no Service Marketplace menu, even no ability to unfold Services menu. What’s the matter?

Andre_Fischer
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

You are in the wrong, the Neo environment section of your trial. You have to navigate to the Cloud Foundry trial section instead.
But as I said, I would like to ask to post questions not in the comment section of this blog but rather in the Q&A section . Otherwise the comment section will become to long ?.

Astashonok
Participant
0 Kudos
Ok, created a question. Please answer in QA if you know what the issue is. Thanks
sagar17bansal
Participant
0 Kudos
Hi Andre,

Thanks for this awesome blog.

I tried following the steps mentioned in your blog and while adding entitlements to my subaccount, I am getting the following error : "We could not save your changes. There could be conflicting changes that were made while you were editing. Refresh the page to see the current status of your entitlements."
I even tried deleting the subaccount and creating a fresh one but the error remains the same.

Could you please help me with this.

Thanks & Regards
Sagar Bansal
Astashonok
Participant
0 Kudos
Hi, what password and user did you use to login to ABAP dashboard?
Andre_Fischer
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos
I am checking this with SAP CP colleagues. Please send me your P-user id via a direct message.
sagar17bansal
Participant
0 Kudos
Hi Andre,

Thanks for your response.

I tried sending you a direct message but I am not able to.
Could you send me a message so that I can reply my P-user id on the same.

Regards
Sagar Bansal
0 Kudos
Hello Sir,

As per mentioned, we have followed the given steps but still we are facing same issue

Andre_Fischer
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos
If your problem persists, please post your question in the Q&A area using the primary tag "SAP Cloud Platform, ABAP environment"
0 Kudos
Can you pls help , cant see it

Andre_Fischer
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
Please check out step 2 of our Onboarding Tutorial.
0 Kudos
Thanks for the response. I don't see the provide SAP when I create the sub account, may be that's the reason. How shall i get the provide as SAP as mentioned in the tutorial

Andre_Fischer
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos
If your problem persists please post your question in the Q&A area using the primary tag “SAP Cloud Platform, ABAP environment”. Step 2 of the Onboarding Tutorial clearly describes what you have to do if you don't see the SAP Trial icon. You have to manually edit the subaccount assignments.
0 Kudos
Thanks working. great help .. much appreciated
babu_kilari4
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
Excellent. Just finished my first RAP program. It was interesting to see all these new stuff ( Behavior definition etc.,) and how the Servicing Definition and Binding are all done at ABAP level. Good Bye dear SEGW 🙂
Former Member
0 Kudos

Tried and found wonderful.

Thanks a lot Andre and SAP Team, much appreciated. The barrier to ABAP programming is now very thin for people(like me) coming from the Web Development background. No longer you need a lot of formalities to be completed to just get started with the ABAP coding.

Is it truly 1908 by the way?

One of the issues found is that the trial system was not stable, if you are trying to complete the activities in one session? Yes, then everything goes smooth. However if you close the session(exit Eclipse and open once again), then the trial system may not be available. Brought this to the attention of the team as an issue below:-

https://github.com/SAPDocuments/Tutorials/issues/4071

Thanks,

Jakes

pradeep1995
Explorer
0 Kudos
Hi Andre

I am trying to implement a small POC on ABAP on Cloud, for which I have installed Eclipse Oxygen and Eclipse Neon both. But in case of eclipse oxygen ABAP Development tools plugin is not available, on the other side in Eclipse Neon, I can only add on-premise system for ABAP development. Option ABAP cloud project is not coming in the list.

Please respond.

Regards,

Pradeep
Andre_Fischer
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos
Check out the following blog that describes the new release strategy for ABAP in Eclipse.

https://blogs.sap.com/2019/04/15/important-changes-to-the-abap-development-tools-adt-release-cycle/

Best idea is to go for the latest Eclipse Release which is 2019-09

https://tools.hana.ondemand.com/#abap
pradeep1995
Explorer
0 Kudos
Hi Andre,

I got to know that ABAP on Cloud is supported by Eclipse Photon only. I also tested it from Eclipse Photon. it is working perfectly fine.

Thank-you so much for your valuable response.

Regards,

Pradeep
Hi Andre,

Thanks for your blog is really useful. I followed the guide to create a new instance of Abap... but says:

This is just affected to my user or service is down?

Thanks

Andre_Fischer
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos
Hi Javier,

the servic that is used to create new trial instances has an issue.

I created a SAP internal ticket for this.

Best Regards,

Andre

Andre_Fischer
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos
For me it works now. Please try again to create a trial instance.
0 Kudos
yes, i can confirm that is working perfectly. 🙂

Many thanks Andre for your help.
Saurabh
Explorer
0 Kudos
@Andre- Thank you for the nice post !

Can we use CAL :webidecp to create an ABAP programs .

Is it possible to write the 1st ABAP code 'Hellp World'  code on CAL without having SAP system ,ADT,Eclipse  installed on local machice of a user.( I am looking for if all the set-up is available on cloud where a trail user can just login and start building there code ).

Do we have WebIDE on cloud which allows to create ABAP Project on Cloud . My ADT does not have option to create "ABAP Cloud Project'
Andre_Fischer
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos
No, you can't use Web IDE to create abap programs. It's just the abap stack that's now also available in the cloud. The IDE still remains the same, it's ABAP in Eclipse.
former_member185490
Participant
0 Kudos
how can I consume abap restful program I created on this trial abap system from webide? when I try to go abap dash board I dont see communication arrangments section or the destination i created in cloud does not show up in webide.

I am not able to see abap services in webide (when created a project via template)
Andre_Fischer
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos
Check out this tutorial that shows how to achieve this using MTA projects.

https://developers.sap.com/tutorials/abap-environment-deploy-cf-production.html
jerrin_francis
Participant
0 Kudos
Use the e-mail Id and Password used to create SAP Account
former_member649198
Discoverer
0 Kudos
Dear andre.fischer

I've been following the step-by-step of Create and Deploy HTML5 and SAP Fiori Launchpad Site Modules (https://developers.sap.com/tutorials/abap-environment-deploy-cf-production.html). I've created a MTA project and then I custom Cloud Foundry settings (api endpoint). When I tried to add the ABAP service to my multi-target application I can't find the ABAP on the SAP Cloud Platform Service list.

Note: I've already enabled the ABAP Trial service on my CF Cockpit to develop a project using eclipse with my service key.

I really appreciate your advice..

pmugglestone
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
Just a shameless plug, but the hands-on video tutorial series for ABAP Environment has been completely refreshed and expanded and highlights some of the new capabilities introduced with release 2002 such as UUIDs. And you can now follow along using the free trial. More info here. Philip
Marçal_Oliveras
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

I was trying to create CDS to test the ABAP RESTful Programming Model features and I see there are many unreleased annotations not available in this trial instance.

Is there a plan to upgrade the trial to support the latest or newer features?

These 3 annotations for instance can’t be used:

@VDM.viewType: #BASIC
@ObjectModel.representativeKey:'TestKey'
@ObjectModel.semanticKey: ['TestKey']

Andre_Fischer
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
The trial always supports the latest and newest features.

Unfortunately code completion offers you to add annotations that are not supported in SAP Cloud Platform, ABAP environment.

For more details see my following blog post

https://blogs.sap.com/2020/04/21/how-to-get-a-list-of-annotations-that-can-be-used-in-sap-cloud-plat...
Marçal_Oliveras
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Andre,

Thanks for the answer. The representative and semantic keys statements, return a “not released” error, while the VDM.viewType is not even recognized.

I found out the reason is these annotations being available only in S/4 HANA but not in ABAP in SCP

0 Kudos

Hi Andre,

When trying to log into the service URL which has been created in the service binding , the login fails although I used the same credentials to log into the Cloud Cockpit. I have checked trail version but it is also not expired. I have followed the right steps to create the instance as well.Any reason for this issue?

Regards,

Ruchira

former_member679253
Discoverer
0 Kudos
Hi, Andre!
I was trying to login into the service and got such error. With what it can be connected?

cristiano_santos
Participant
0 Kudos
I am happy to get come across this update now! But, until when the Gateway Demo System ES5 will be available? There are plans to shut down it?
Andre_Fischer
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos
No there are no plans to shut it down.

But ES5 cannot be used to develop own code opposed to this offering.

So I do not understand the question really.
ekekakos
Participant
0 Kudos
I am trying to connect through ADT on Eclipse through the Service Key and I am getting the following error message:
The provided Service Key does not meet the requirements.
Can someone help me?

Thanks
Elias
babloomzp1703_11
Explorer
0 Kudos
Hi Andre,

Thanks for your blog. I am following the guide to create a new instance of ABAP but I got below Error:

Highly Appreciate if you please do needful.

Thanks
babloomzp1703_11
Explorer
0 Kudos
Thanks. It's working now.
0 Kudos
Why it's not supported the type pools? You can create a table, but why in the abap for cloud it's impossible to create a type pool? it will be very usefull...

marc_zimmek
Explorer
0 Kudos
I have the same problem.

Do you have solve your issue?