Technology Blogs by SAP
Learn how to extend and personalize SAP applications. Follow the SAP technology blog for insights into SAP BTP, ABAP, SAP Analytics Cloud, SAP HANA, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ganeshmoorthydu
Advisor
Advisor
This blog post highlights the concept behind Automation framework which is delivered part of BI 4.2 SP05.

When we developed the Automation Framework, we knew that there is a little bit of learning curve required. So we would strongly recommend you to go through the terms used and concept  before using the application.

Following are some of the terms you should get familiarized.

Terms :

Refer the below diagram for better understanding of definitions

Task Template : Task template is nothing but executable JAR wrapping the SDK/RESTAPI to perform an intended action This is the basic unit of automation and it is categorized as below

1. Standard - Provided by SAP

2. Custom - Created by you/your partner to meet your unique need

Workflow Template: A logical group of task templates ordered in the required sequence to achieve the outcome of a workflow. It is saved without input parameters. Workflow template can be reused as many times as required.

1. Standard - Provided by SAP

2. Custom - Created by you or your partner

Scenario : An executable entity which is created by grouping single or multiple workflow templates in the required sequence. It is saved with input parameters.

Concept:

Automation Framework comes with 3 layered approach (Task Template, Workflow Template and Scenario) to offer lot of flexbility, reusability and ease of use features. You can drag and drop the required workflow you want, fill in input parameters, create scenario and execute it.

Based on your skills, you can use the framework in different ways. .

If you have less technical skills, you can straightly create scenarios using existing Workflow templates provide inputs , save amd execute the automation scenario.

If you have technical skills, you can create also custom workflow template using existing task templates with required sequence & use these Workflow templates in Scenario he create and execute it.

If you have developement skills, you can also develop task templates & plugin to Automation framework. You can use the newly created tasks for the creation of Workflow Templates.

You will see many task templates delivered with Automation Framework in the future which will probably cover all commonly performed actions
6 Comments
0 Kudos
Thanks for the Information Ganesh.
Former Member
0 Kudos
Hello Ganesh. It seems that the Standard Templates are missing from our newly installed 4.2 SP5 machine. And I cannot create any custom workflow because the standard components are missing there too. Do you have any idea why this is?
ganeshmoorthydu
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos
Hello,

Please try this below note. It should solve this issue. If not let us know, I will look into it

https://launchpad.support.sap.com/#/notes/2566764

Thanks!

BR,

Ganesh
JohnClark
Active Participant
0 Kudos
How can we find out more information on the tasks and workflows?

Specifically, I am looking for the strategy used by the Change Web Intelligence Source task and how to modify it.
TJe
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
The Change Source Task template is using the Default Strategy (see SDK Docu Getting the Possible Object Mappings Using the Default Strategies).
It is not possible to modify it with the Standard Task Template.
Using another strategy would only be possible by developing a custom task template. This blog contains more information and also the link to a GitHub repository with custom task template samples: BI Automation Framework Samples
JohnClark
Active Participant
Thanks thomas.jentsch , not what I wanted to hear but pretty much what I was expecting.